Author Topic: Snoop "Doggystyle" (1993) review/The Source Magazine  (Read 1218 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Snoop "Doggystyle" (1993) review/The Source Magazine
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »
i wonder what the Source first gave AEOM

i know Vibe gave it a bad review saying nobody would remember it  lmao

LMAO at Vibe saying "nobody would remember" possibly the most memorable rap album of all time... EPIC EPIC fail.  I think this is also a sign of just how great hip-hop used to be that people had such high expectations for a Snoop album or a 2pac album, that they could come with perfection and people still wanted and expected more out of them, such a high standard they had achieved in those days.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »
The funny thing is that I bet the Source would pretend this review doesn't exist today. SMH @ this.

What were they smokin? Certainly wasn't the Chronic.  8)

They had an issue maybe 5 years back where they upgraded a load of 4 mic albums to 5 mics, Doggystyle was one of them.

They also spoke about the original review basically saying they were so hyped about Snoop after the chronic, when they heard doggystyle they were dissapointed due to the number of guest appearences.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 12:10:47 PM »
The funny thing is that I bet the Source would pretend this review doesn't exist today. SMH @ this.

What were they smokin? Certainly wasn't the Chronic.  8)

They had an issue maybe 5 years back where they upgraded a load of 4 mic albums to 5 mics, Doggystyle was one of them.

They also spoke about the original review basically saying they were so hyped about Snoop after the chronic, when they heard doggystyle they were dissapointed due to the number of guest appearences.

Since Dre knew something that they didn't know back then.  Dre knew that Snoop, as great as he was, was not an artist that could carry a whole album on his own, and that he needed support from the All-Star cast that they had at the label to keep Snoop always sounding fresh.  Cause back then everyone thought that anything Snooped dropped would just magically be dope, we realized later that it was Dre holding him to that high standard all along.

This is why when the Slim Shady LP came out in 1999 I knew Dre had a great respect for Eminem as an emcee, letting Eminem carry 98% of the album all on his own, Dre had an appearance on "Guilty Conscience" and Royce was superb on "Bad Meetz Evil", but to think Dre let Eminem carry the rest of that album all on his own is really a great credit to Eminem's unbelievable skill.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
It was less about Snoop not being able to carry an album and more about promoting the other artists on the label. That was Death Row's way of doing things. Snoop had the star power and gave the other artists shine.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
It was less about Snoop not being able to carry an album and more about promoting the other artists on the label. That was Death Row's way of doing things. Snoop had the star power and gave the other artists shine.

Name one time in his whole career where Snoop has been able to carry a whole album?  Snoop isn't that kind of artist.  Artists like Eminem or Nas can carry whole albums. 

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 08:17:03 PM »
Ego Trippin had only 1 song with features.

Snoop always features his rap associates, none of whom are even remotely as famous as he is. Don't you think its a case of him letting them get some shine? He doesn't need to have features.