Author Topic: AIDS Benefit Concert For Eazy-E, October 3rd 1995  (Read 72 times)

awol22222

AIDS Benefit Concert For Eazy-E, October 3rd 1995
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:21:25 AM »

By KAREN HUNTER

Tuesday, October 3th 1995, 4:30AM

Yes. Even hip-hoppers, too.

That is the message the urbanAID 4 LIFEbeat benefit concert at Madison Square Garden will deliver to the hip-hop community Thursday night at 7:30 p.m.

The concert which will feature Jodeci, TLC, the Notorious B.I.G. and just about every other name in hard-core R&B was organized following the shocking death of gangsta rap giant Eric "Eazy-E" Wright, who was struck down by AIDS in March of this year.

The world of pop music, in general, has been slow to rally against AIDS, and the hip-hop community has been particularly slow. Even after Wright's death, many in hip hop have refused to take the disease seriously.

To many, Wright's sexual exploits (borne out by the many kids he has sprinkled throughout the country) were the epitome of manly expression. It made him a hero. He lived hard and he died hard. Too hard.

Such attitudes are not, unfortunately, that uncommon in an industry where groupies abound. Sex is offered freely to performers, who often oblige.

While Wright's death was a reminder that it AIDS can happen to anyone, his lifestyle is still being emulated by many artists and those in the community who feel it will never happen to them.

"It can and it will if they don't slow down," says Andre Harrell, the newly appointed head of Motown who put the event together. "The concert is just a vehicle to bring an awareness.

"I want people to know they are not invincible. AIDS is not a 'gay' disease. If you're not smart, you can be taken out at an early age."

Wright was barely 30. He had amassed millions, producing and recording rap music. He touched many. His legacy, Bone Thugs N Harmony, a group he assembled before his death, is already platinum. They will perform Thursday.

Ed Lover, one-half of the top-rated morning show on Hot 97, was also a good friend of Wright's. He will be hosting the event along with his radio partner, Doctor Dre, as well as Queen Latifah and Heavy D.

For Lover, the issue of AIDS hit home not only with the death of Wright but even closer. "I have a couple of friends and close family members dying of AIDS right now," Lover says. "I think something like urbanAID 4 LIFEbeat is long overdue.

"Those of us in the R&B family were in denial. It never really touched us. Well, Eazy never had a gay bone in his body. It hit someone who was in our circle, who ran with people we know.

"It was time we got together and did something. And I hope this event raises millions, but more importantly, I hope everybody gets the message. AIDS is devastating the black and Latino community."

Public service announcements have been running nationally on radio, the Box, MTV and BET, which will show portions of the concert on Saturday.

The artists, led by Jodeci the grand marshals of the event have donated their time. Jodeci, Mary J. Blige, the Notorious B.I.G., TLC and Salt-N-Pepa will do full sets, with the others doing 15-minute medleys of their hits. It will be a long night of music and messages.

"To reach this community you need people who speak their language," says Harrell, who signed Jodeci to his former Uptown label. "Jodeci are the 'bad boys' of R&B and every song they make is about sex.

"Now if they are saying, fellows and ladies, protect yourselves, then it's a message that's listened to. And that's all we want is to spread the word."