Author Topic: 2Pac & Outlawz CD query  (Read 820 times)

hrsmn_london

2Pac & Outlawz CD query
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:39:12 AM »
How did Interscope put out this record with no Death Row involvement?

I also cannot understand how Makaveli CD has sold only 4 million albums when All Eyes has sold 9x million.

Was the album title too confusing or was it that Suge was in jail and unable to promote the CD properly?

OG Hack Wilson

Re: 2Pac & Outlawz CD query
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
I always wondered that too.
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Suga Foot

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 11:09:40 AM »
Death Row may have been involved, just because their logo isn't on it doesn't mean they aren't involved.  Just a thought.

Also double album sales are counted as 2 discs, so 9million is 4.5 million people that bought it. 

Quadruple OG

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »
How did Interscope put out this record with no Death Row involvement?

I also cannot understand how Makaveli CD has sold only 4 million albums when All Eyes has sold 9x million.

Was the album title too confusing or was it that Suge was in jail and unable to promote the CD properly?

I think Afeni and DR had issues at the time, and a compromise was made that the DR logo wouldn't appear on the cd. I don't have the credits in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it has "Suge Publishing" in there. Death Row was involved because it was material recorded while Pac was alive on the label.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »
BTW Death Row stopped paying for soundscan to keep track of albujm sales

AEOM was certified 9x platinum back in the late 1990s lol

its gotat be diamond by now

This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Jimmy H.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:40:07 AM »
Yes, there was some type of conflict over "Still I Rise". I don't know the details but Death Row still got points on the album and they also used to include it as part of their discography back when they had the old website.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
Yes, there was some type of conflict over "Still I Rise". I don't know the details but Death Row still got points on the album and they also used to include it as part of their discography back when they had the old website.

Whatever dispute they had was cleared up by the time UTEOT and Better Days dropped

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »
also true

Jimmy H.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
Now that I think of it, I think I remember someone saying Amaru and Death Row had a dispute with Interscope because at the time, Interscope was expecting the other two to handle the lion's share of promotion in terms of fianances. I can't remember where I heard that but I think it was somebody with either Amaru or Death Row. Might have been Afeni.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
i wonder how Don't Stop wound up on DPG's 2002

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
There was some dispute between Death Row and Amaru regarding the Still I Rise album but, was later settled. I do remember that some type of settlement was made regarding 2Pac's Death Row recordings. I think someone from the Amaru team discussed this on the old 2Pac legacy site stating that Better Dayz was the last Amaru and Death Row release together of 2Pac material and from that point on it was gonna all Amaru. I think it was like a 4 album deal that Amaru had with Death Row.

The 4 albums:
2Pac's Greatest Hits (1998)
Still I Rise (1999)
Until The End Of Times (2001)
Better Dayz (2002)

That is why besides The Best Of 2Pac releases, there has been no Death Row and no involvement from them on any of those releases since Better Dayz. So, Still I Rise is still considered a Death Row album because they were involved with the album being made. That's why Suge's publishing was in the credits, plus Daz produced a cut on there. He was on Death Row at that time. The only thing that came out from Death Row since Better Dayz was remixed albums, compilations, and the live albums. All of that stuff, they got Afeni's approval on it. Notice no new material (like an album that contains previously unreleased songs) came from Death Row besides those things I've just mentioned. I think the only albums that Death Row has total rights to is All Eyez On Me and The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory by Makaveli, that's it.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »
The Death Row situation with Pac's music is one of those similiar publishing deals that they have with Dre. They own the songs but they need artist approval to have them released. Even now with new ownership, WideAwake can still make a Tupac album but there's only certain stuff they can touch. I don't know how many people remember this but before they did "Better Dayz" and "Until The End Of Time", Death Row's website was advertising a four-disc collection called The Vault that would have had "Untouchable" with Crooked I as the first single. Amaru ended up blocking it. They aren't letting anybody do anything with Tupac's name and likeness. Death Row got through because Pac had a deal with Suge. I think when the "Greatest Hits" project came out, they had a very good working relationship but it seemed to sour around the time that the double albums were being put together. Even with Death Row logos on them, Suge seemed like he wasn't a fan of some of the creative directions those projects went. 

makavelisimon

• 'G'
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 03:32:23 AM »
The Death Row situation with Pac's music is one of those similiar publishing deals that they have with Dre. They own the songs but they need artist approval to have them released. Even now with new ownership, WideAwake can still make a Tupac album but there's only certain stuff they can touch. I don't know how many people remember this but before they did "Better Dayz" and "Until The End Of Time", Death Row's website was advertising a four-disc collection called The Vault that would have had "Untouchable" with Crooked I as the first single. Amaru ended up blocking it. They aren't letting anybody do anything with Tupac's name and likeness. Death Row got through because Pac had a deal with Suge. I think when the "Greatest Hits" project came out, they had a very good working relationship but it seemed to sour around the time that the double albums were being put together. Even with Death Row logos on them, Suge seemed like he wasn't a fan of some of the creative directions those projects went. 

I am sorry, but for people who want facts, most of what you said is pure speculation. 

In fact, instead of War games the unheard that Koch was buying was going to be a much more positive Pac song and would have been able to be released just fine.
Amaru doesn't want to alter the image of Thug Angel so no diss songs.

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 05:24:48 AM »

Right! Notice during that time, Death Row were able to use unreleased recordings of 2Pac's for their own projects. 2Pac was still on their roster. Yep, Until The End Of Time and Better Dayz was gonna be released originally together as a 4 disc box-set. It was on the old Death Row site around 2000. I still have the info that was originally posted from there. They had like 2 other titles for that project also, one being "The Safe". Part of the reason that 4-disc set was broken to 2 double albums was that it was too much material for one release and they was sure as far as promoting it. "Untouchable" with Crooked I, I remember that version being considered for that project also. It was also gonna be on his album for Death Row (that would later go in the vault) called "Untouchable" as well. That version with Crooked remains in the vault. That's just like "Mama's Just A Lil' Girl" was considered for Until The End Of Time but, was later released on Better Dayz

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 07:33:04 AM »
Better Dayz was the last Amaru and Death Row release together of 2Pac material and from that point on it was gonna all Amaru

and we know the outcome......FAILED

OMG how poor are the releases amaru dropped on its own, LTTG and Pac's Life are a disgrace to pac's legacy. it would've been better to release nothing instaed of this worthless remixes