Author Topic: Thoughts on Nate Dogg  (Read 364 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Thoughts on Nate Dogg
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
I literally had been playing his music just a few weeks ago. My favorite song from him is "No Matter Where I Go" from G-Funk classics volume II. I have loved that song since I was 12 or 13, first on these websites talking to you guys.

I don't know if you guys saw "The Life Aquatic" (I didn't, yet) but there's music in there by a Brazilian singer/guitarist Seu Jorge covering David Bowie songs. I have since gotten into Seu Jorge's music himself and he has this song called "Tive Razao" that has the same chord changes, maybe even the same chords as Nate's "No matter where I go". I have been playing a medley that covers both songs for the last few months now... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tanjint-Wiggy-Woo/138000672902387

second track on that link if y'all want^^ it's just me on the keyboard and singing..

anyway, it was crazy to hear this news from people at my work who don't even know who Nate Dogg is. The 40 year old white lady that works next to me at the office told me that morning "did you hear that rapper Nate Dogg died?"

I said, "Nate Dogg is a singer; how do you know who he is?"

and I was really struck, because Nate Dogg has been a part of my musical diet since my adolescence. As I'm sure many have said, his voice brings a soulful and catchy texture to many classic hip hop songs over the last two decades. It's ridiculous how young he was and it's a different world, if only slightly, now that the next DPGC or 213 whole crew collabo is not just around the corner like we often felt they were.

Thanks for the music Nate; it's all we coulda asked.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Sccit

Re: Thoughts on Nate Dogg
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
tanj, good shit...missed this thread, but i been checkin out the wc section sinces nates death and i gotta agree with u. that whole double album is a slept on classic and was completely underappreciated. i was also bumpin the album a few weeks before his death. real spit.

Paul

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:55 AM »
Props man. Good thread. The double album is a classic
funkyfreshintheflesh

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
It really hit me yesterday when "Appreciation" randomly came on while listening to my iTunes...

Warren's verse is hard to listen to... it's as if he's speaking to Nate.  I think this would probably be the hardest song for Warren to perform now that Nate is gone.  And Nate's words just hit me hard...

"A big shout out to all my family and friends
When times got hard, you were still there
You give me inspiration like strength from the sun
Feel like destiny's son, yeah

There's no way I can forget about you
Support for me, your love for me
Your prayers for me when I'm in these streets
And there's no way I can forget to thank ya
For showing me the true meaning of unconditional love ooohhh
When I be fucking up you always call my bluff
You say you've had enough
I just wanna thank ya
Yeah yeah yeah
I just wanna give...

A big shout out to all my family and friends
When times got hard, you were still there
You give me inspiration like strength from the sun
Feel like destiny's son, yeah"

RIP Nate Dogg  :(

Jimmy H.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:38:17 AM »
Crazy thing for me was how many friends contacted me about it saying they specifically remember how much I used to bump Nate Dogg. It was weird because it was shit I didn't even remember doing until they brought it up and a lot of these were friends I haven't really hung with in more than 6 years. When I started thinking about it, I think G-Funk Classics was kind of the soundtrack to my life for a few summers. It's weird because at the time, I thought it was just background music to my friends. Something they liked the vibe of but would forget the next day.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:48:21 PM »
i totally relate to that Jimmy. thanks yall

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Mista Rosa

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:17:49 AM »
Crazy thing for me was how many friends contacted me about it saying they specifically remember how much I used to bump Nate Dogg. It was weird because it was shit I didn't even remember doing until they brought it up and a lot of these were friends I haven't really hung with in more than 6 years. When I started thinking about it, I think G-Funk Classics was kind of the soundtrack to my life for a few summers. It's weird because at the time, I thought it was just background music to my friends. Something they liked the vibe of but would forget the next day.

I feel you big times on this. I always played Nate Dogg music to my friends even to some point where would be like " Nate Dogg still ?!!". But i just wanted them to be as touched as i am by Nate's music. Just share this great feeling with them. When Nate passed I received more texts than at my birthday (born in the summer people always forget your birthday), I thought that was cool because they understood how important his music was to me.
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."