Author Topic: Lord Willin' Is Still Clipse's Best Album  (Read 172 times)

Lunatic

Lord Willin' Is Still Clipse's Best Album
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
Do y'all agree? That joint is classic. I was 12 years old when this album came out. "Grindin" was the first single/song I ever heard from Clipse and it remains one of my favorite singles of all time  8)

This is a pure near classic. Intro, Young Boy, Virginia, Grindin', Cot Damn, Ma I Don't Love Her, FamLay Freestyle, When the Last Time, Comedy Central, Gangsta Lean and I'm Not You stay in rotation.

The 2 "Grindin" remixes are cool (found it odd to have 2 though), Ego is alright and the one with Jermaine Dupri is ehh.

I rate this album a 9/10. It was so fresh and unique to see two boys from Virgina come out and make it to the level that they did and with there unique pattern.

It seems like "Hell Hath No Fury" is there most critically acclaimed album, and I may be the minority here, but its there album I least enjoy. I think the album's critical love had to do more with there long hiatus from a sophomore album.

It had a lot less mainstream appeal (not that I care about that -- just stating) and there are a bunch of songs I either don't really play or find to be average such as We Got It For Cheap, Momma I'm So Sorry, Wamp Wamp, Ride Around Shining, Dirty Money, Ain't Cha & Trill.

Don't get me wrong, I like the album, I just don't think it's nearly as good as Lord Willin'. Maybe I have to go back and bump those songs I didn't find very enjoyable (I admit it has been a while).

Onto "Til The Casket Drops" - I think the sound of this album is sort of a combined sound from the first two albums (better than Hell Hath, worse than Lord Willin'). "All Eyes On Me" reminds me of "When The Last Time" in a major way. "Freedom" might be the best, most lyrical Clipse song of all time. "I'm Good" is a feel good mainstream single (sort of how "ma i dont love her" was).

The Kanye collab was hyped up sickly. Cam'Ron was a disappointing collaborator lol. Kobe makes 2 dope appearances.

Door Man is a club banger and so is Showing Out. The only song I don't really fuck with it is Never Will It Stop.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:48:14 PM by Lunatic »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
Re: Lord Willin' Is Still Clipse's Best Album
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
Till the casket drops is my fav album.

Life Change, Eyes On Me, There Was A Murder, Champion, Showing Out and Im Good are just sick as fuck  8)

but I keep the Lord Willin Intro in rotation  8) . That shit is AMAZING  ;D

Hell Hath is my least fav too.

and while I do like their music I have always felt like they were ridiculously overrated!

They make good music but cmon now. Stop givin them god status

Blood$

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I remember buying the edited version at Walmart back in the day when I was like 11, shit was bangin' even with clean lyrics lol hard to believe it's been almost 10 years since it dropped

personal classic no doubt 8)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »
yes it its - one of the favorites
i had a dlx edition wit some "Grindin"-remixes.
played it like a medley all the time.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:17:12 AM »
Till The Casket Drops is really weak compared to their other efforts, still not that bad of an album.I find Hell Hath No Foury to be far superior to Lord Willin', but to each his own.It's just far more enjoyable to me, Lord Willin' is pretty good too though.

And I'm probably the only one who will say that Exclusive Audio Footage is their best album.I just love that shit.The Funeral is just amazing, and the album has an astonishingly cohesive sound.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

D-e-f-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 03:52:31 AM »
a few of those beats on Lord Willin sound dated now, that's a major drawback for me. it might be a reason why Hell Hath No Fury is remember more fondly

Blood$

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »
anybody got a GroupRip of their very first album that got shelved? only seen "The Funeral" video

hit me up on the PM tip  8)