Author Topic: Quik didn't even produce Love of my life  (Read 912 times)

NoobCake

Quik didn't even produce Love of my life
« on: April 15, 2011, 08:26:52 PM »
Interesting.  How much of the album do you think is ghost produced?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/04/14/135349466/singled-out-dj-quiks-luv-of-my-life?ps=mh_frhdl1

"How did this song come about?

We was just spending time in the studio about a month ago. Me and my brother G1 just started making the beat. I did the drums, he did the bass line. We did it in, like, 15 minutes. Just pretty much threw it together.

I left out of town to go do some business, came back a day later and G1 had developed the song into something else. It had piano on it already, so I just wrote that hook like, 'Wow. This is the love of my life. This is great.' Because it was so easy and fresh. I just loved the track. The track is the love of my life."

Matty

Re: Quik didn't even produce Love of my life
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:31:01 PM »
it's called co-production. probably be quite a bit with g-one and others on the album.

are you trying to say that quik can't produce records on his own? what's the significance of this? :P

Tan Ban Whiner

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »
I got some DJ Quik unheards from the DR Vault coming soon, stay tuned!

Matty

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »

not sure if troll.

NoobCake

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »
it's called co-production. probably be quite a bit with g-one and others on the album.

are you trying to say that quik can't produce records on his own? what's the significance of this? :P

That's not me saying it, he says it.  People buy Quik's albums for his production, not his rapping.  As a rapper he's always been average.  So now he's not even producing his own shit.

Tan Ban Whiner

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »

not sure if troll.

I'm good for it....

Matty

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 08:42:06 PM »

That's not me saying it, he says it.  People buy Quik's albums for his production, not his rapping.  As a rapper he's always been average.  So now he's not even producing his own shit.

i'm saying he nearly always works with co-producers, so nothing's new. g-one, rob bacon, apparently some new guitar guy (dave foreman) on this album.

thegooddoc

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »

Well he hasn't had any beats sounding this good since G1 left his ass.  So maybe yes?  He is like Dre jr.?

Matty

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 08:46:37 PM »

Well he hasn't had any beats sounding this good since G1 left his ass.  So maybe yes?  He is like Dre jr.?

Quik & G1 is a great combination. like Dre? maybe in some ways, but methinks Quik is far more hands on, musically and technically, than Dre is these days.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 09:03:22 PM »
Wow quik is average as a rapper? Lol. I've always felt his producing is so good it makes people give him less credit as a rapper. Dude spits game in every verse!

Stupid thread tho. Quik is a true musician and has proved that for 2 decades. So what if he had a coproducer do most of the work on 1 song?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Jimmy H.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »
It's the same stupid argument made by people who don't know what producing is that they said with Dre. Yes, Dr. Dre and DJ Quik are producers, not beat-makers. They have production teams who work on the records with them. They have people who play different instruments and help them produce their records. Quik has been working with G1 for well over 15 years so this really isn't news.

jeanmiche777

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »
Man if you don't like his new album that's ok. Stop wasting your time trying to say he got ghostproducers and stuff like that. Everybody knows Quik works with some musicians, but we all know he IS a musician too.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
@jimmyh

There is a difference tho. As far as I know dre only does drum programming. He doesn't play any of those other instruments. Quik does. Quik is the hip hop version of Prince.

Plus, how many different producers have accused dre of stealing their beats? And how many have accused quik?

Yeah exactly.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Jimmy H.

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 11:34:58 PM »
I've heard more accusations of people not getting credit than any saying that Dre stole their beats but that's more here than there. And Quik might do more on the instrumentation level but the point I will continue to make is the person who makes a beat for a track and the person who produces the song aren't always one and the same. Quik himself has said this as well as many other people I consider to be great producers.

NoobCake

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 12:18:41 AM »
@jimmyh

There is a difference tho. As far as I know dre only does drum programming. He doesn't play any of those other instruments. Quik does. Quik is the hip hop version of Prince.

Plus, how many different producers have accused dre of stealing their beats? And how many have accused quik?

Yeah exactly.

Only crackhead Daz after Suge told him to say it.