Author Topic: Michael Jordan earned $60 million last year  (Read 300 times)

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Michael Jordan earned $60 million last year
« on: September 26, 2011, 01:28:05 PM »
Posted by Ben Golliver. michael-jordan-suit

Breaking news: Michael Jordan is still super rich and marketable.

Forbes.com, the world's leading expert in determining and ranking the wealth of rich people, reports that Jordan actually made more money off the court in 2011 than he did during his career, even though nearly a decade has passed since his retirement.

We estimate that Jordan earned $60 million over the past year mainly through his endorsement deals with Nike, Gatorade, Hanes, Upper Deck, 2K Sports and Five Star Fragrances. He also owns five restaurants and a car dealership in North Carolina. His annual earnings are greater than any other sports figure save Tiger Woods who topped our world’s highest-paid athletes this year.

At Jordan’s peak during his playing career, he was making $50 million off the court through sponsorships. He also banked $63 million in combined salary during his last two years with the Bulls.

Well, now we know what television commentator Charles Barkley was talking about when he recently said that a $100,000 fine Jordan received from the NBA for violating the league's lockout gag order was just a "drop in the bucket" for his golfing buddy. My goodness.

By comparison, Forbes.com also notes that Los Angeles Lakers All-Star guard Kobe Bryant is the leading current NBA player in endorsement income, netting $53 million. Miami Heat All-Star forward LeBron James checks in at $48 million. Those numbers include their current salaries.

You can also look at it this way: Jordan, who recently became the majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, took home more in endorsement money last year than he is currently scheduled to pay in salary to his entire team in 2011-2012. StoryTellersContracts.com estimates that the Bobcats will spend $53 million to pay 11 players next season.

Forbes atributes Jordan's outstanding earning power to his popularity, likeability, the fact that he generally avoided scandals and controversies during his career and that he didn't face the same scrutiny as athletes of today.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/32215986

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Michael Jordan earned $60 million last year
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »
I mean, his shoes have been the most poppin' shoe for over a decade lol.

PLANT

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:23:45 PM »
watch for NIK to come in and argue the jordan vs kobe earnings...

for real tho, thats some crazy shit that he makes more than any current player, and he hasnt played in a decade!!

Mietek23

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:56:19 PM »
It just shows you how big this man has became and he earned every penny he got - G.O.A.T.

rayallen0

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »
underwear money.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »
This.  All of the re-issued Jordan shoes are always sold out... my brother will always stand in line for them and buy two pairs, one to wear and another just to keep, maybe to sell if he needs the money.  And then don't forget about the Jordan line of shoes.  People still buy his jerseys too... I picked up an authentic black Jordan jersey a couple years back myself.

What other endorsements does he have?  I think he still does Fruit of the Loom, but I'm not sure about the other ones he had in the past (Coca Cola, Gatorade, etc.).

But what hurts is that divorce of his... not that it really does much to him, but his (ex-)wife got a few hundred million, if I remember correctly.

Mietek23

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 04:51:28 AM »
This.  All of the re-issued Jordan shoes are always sold out... my brother will always stand in line for them and buy two pairs, one to wear and another just to keep, maybe to sell if he needs the money.  And then don't forget about the Jordan line of shoes.  People still buy his jerseys too... I picked up an authentic black Jordan jersey a couple years back myself.

What other endorsements does he have?  I think he still does Fruit of the Loom, but I'm not sure about the other ones he had in the past (Coca Cola, Gatorade, etc.).

But what hurts is that divorce of his... not that it really does much to him, but his (ex-)wife got a few hundred million, if I remember correctly.

168 mln$ to be precise.  :)

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »
the most marketed and glorified man in sports history...u can thank nike and stern for that 1.

Mietek23

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 01:39:25 AM »
the most marketed and glorified man in sports history...thanks to the talent he got.

Fixed.

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 11:43:35 AM »
the most marketed and glorified man in sports history...thanks to the talent he got.

Fixed.

a lot of the GOATS possessed tremendous talent, but dont make nearly as much as MJ...LOL@"thanks to the talent"...u do realize that Jordan entered the NBA at a perfect time, when marketing first took off, and Jordan was Stern's puppet...if u dont realize that, slap yaself. If Jordan were drafted today, picture would be COMPLETELY different. so yes, the talent helped, but he would be nowhere financially without Stern, Nike and the marketing push he got while he was made the face of the NBA...PeACe.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
that's knot,but i still think nike swindled this equal bad, he turned like a 20 mill company till a 5 plus bill company and he ain't at least walk with a bill to 500 mill, he should have put pressure on them muthafuccas yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp