Author Topic: so detox will not be a west coast album??  (Read 1258 times)

B.A.

Re: so detox will not be a west coast album??
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »
You're an idiot. We all grew up on gangsta rap. I didn't even have fucking mtv man. This argument is stupid and useless, as anyone who was around in the 90s would know.

yo mamma!
the only thing radio play is maybe snoop and dre..or the game..other then that u will never hear gangsta rap or west coast artist on the radiio! not even ice cube! (special shows don't count)im talkin about normal airplay...

and im out!

i dunno where u grew up but in L.A.... power 106 and 92.3 the beat was playing Snoop "Gin And Juice/Whats My Name", Dr. Dre "G Thang/Dre Day/Let Me Ride", Ice Cube "It Was a good day, Check Yo Self (Remix), You Know How We Do It, Bop Gun", DJ Quik "Safe + Sound", Warren G "Regulate", 2Pac "Keep Ya Head Up/I Get Around/California Love/How Do U Want It", Too Short "Gettin It", Mack 10 "Backyard Boogie", etc...

All those songs were on the PLAYLIST not just mix shows... meaning played regularly like all the trash songs are played now days...

but yeah I agree Dre should stick to his roots.. catering to the "young audience" means you're selling out to be popular.. thats wack

By the time the west coast was really poppin off my me and my fam. had moved out from L.A. to Phoenix, AZ and i remember the radio here in AZ (it was Power 92.3 back then) was playing all that G-funk, west coast gangster rap that was blowing up. I remember waking up in the morning to my alarm clock radio and Eazy-E's "Real Compton City G's" would be on ("Compton" instead of "Muthafukin'", it was edited as hell but that's when I first heard it, that and on The Box). To add to the list above, here are some other song I remember getting played on the radio. Celly Cel "It's going Down", Coolio "Fantastic Voyage", Dru Down "Mack of the Year", Twinz "Round and Round", Dove Shack "Summertime in the LBC", Mack 10 "Foe Life", Daz "In California", Snoop "Snoop's Upside Ya Head", Domino "Ghetto Jam", Bone Thugs~N~Harmony (Not west coast but had that sound and on Ruthless) "Thuggish Ruggish Bone", "1st of the Month", etc, etc. Not all of the songs were G-funk or hardcore westcoast rap songs but they were the most radio friendly songs from the "west coast" sounding albums they were off of, so yeah the radio was playing west coast music and that was here in AZ.
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

B.A.

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »
Now as far as Dre goes, I don't think what people mean or want is for him to make another G-Funk album but I think what we really want is for him to continue to evolve the west coast's sound. And for those who don't know what people mean by a "west coast" sounding album when talking about Dr. Dre then I don't know what to tell you, it should be sparkling clear, if it's not then I don't know why you're on DUBCNN.com posting about Dr. Dre's next album and the significance that it could have on the sound of the west coast that he helped create. It shouldn't be all on Dre to do it but lets face it, he has more influence in rap music than pretty much any other rapper or producer in rap no matter what coast we're talking about, Dre drops an album and trends change, period! So from Ruthless and NWA, to Death Row and The Chronic / Doggeystyle to Aftermath and 2001 (and other music/albums he was a part of in that period like Last Meal, Restless, Chin Check, Hello, Busta's Break Ya Neck, Em's first couple of albums, etc.) Dre has obviously produced a lot of great music and only part of it has that old classic Death Row "G-Funk" sound as far as borrowing from Parliament/Funkadelic and similar groups. Dre's sound was evolving, some of it had an updated "west coast" sound and the rest were just some dope ass beats/production, so we expect Dre to once again take it to another level and give us the next chapter of the "west coast" sound.

Unfortunately, it seems like Dre got stuck in a rut with those simplistic piano-driven beats with those huge kicks and snares, everyone and their mama is doing these knock off boring Dre beats now, so when Dre comes out with his "new music" (from Detor or not, doesn't matter) and it's more of the same boring shit mixed in with music that's heavy on the pop sound, people are going to be unhappy. It doesn't mean Dre needs to go sample "Knee Deep" again, people need to get off that because doing G-Funk from the '90s is not what we mean (at least not me), but he needs to take it back to his roots as far as making some hardcore rap beats/production and continue to push the sound that he helped create on the west coast; he can have some funk in there if he wants to but make it that next level shit, the shit that we expect from Dr. Dre. If Dre has nothing left in his creative tank then I guess we're going to keep getting the type of music what we've been getting lately but if the is one more game-changing album (rap album) left in him then lets hear it Dr. Dre!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:09:23 PM by B.A. »
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2011, 03:01:53 AM »
Now as far as Dre goes, I don't think what people mean or want is for him to make another G-Funk album but I think what we really want is for him to continue to evolve the west coast's sound. And for those who don't know what people mean by a "west coast" sounding album when talking about Dr. Dre then I don't know what to tell you, it should be sparkling clear, if it's not then I don't know why you're on DUBCNN.com posting about Dr. Dre's next album and the significance that it could have on the sound of the west coast that he helped create. It shouldn't be all on Dre to do it but lets face it, he has more influence in rap music than pretty much any other rapper or producer in rap no matter what coast we're talking about, Dre drops an album and trends change, period! So from Ruthless and NWA, to Death Row and The Chronic / Doggeystyle to Aftermath and 2001 (and other music/albums he was a part of in that period like Last Meal, Restless, Chin Check, Hello, Busta's Break Ya Neck, Em's first couple of albums, etc.) Dre has obviously produced a lot of great music and only part of it has that old classic Death Row "G-Funk" sound as far as borrowing from Parliament/Funkadelic and similar groups. Dre's sound was evolving, some of it had an updated "west coast" sound and the rest were just some dope ass beats/production, so we expect Dre to once again take it to another level and give us the next chapter of the "west coast" sound.
well i was just wondering what some consider a westcoast sound. some reviewers said 2001 doesn't sound west coast so

Unfortunately, it seems like Dre got stuck in a rut with those simplistic piano-driven beats with those huge kicks and snares, everyone and their mama is doing these knock off boring Dre beats now, so when Dre comes out with his "new music" (from Detor or not, doesn't matter) and it's more of the same boring shit mixed in with music that's heavy on the pop sound, people are going to be unhappy. It doesn't mean Dre needs to go sample "Knee Deep" again, people need to get off that because doing G-Funk from the '90s is not what we mean (at least not me), but he needs to take it back to his roots as far as making some hardcore rap beats/production and continue to push the sound that he helped create on the west coast; he can have some funk in there if he wants to but make it that next level shit, the shit that we expect from Dr. Dre. If Dre has nothing left in his creative tank then I guess we're going to keep getting the type of music what we've been getting lately but if the is one more game-changing album (rap album) left in him then lets hear it Dr. Dre!
well people are going to happy regardless, but it seems that dre is moving away from his sound
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:33:53 AM by From Dre-Day to Nate Day »