Author Topic: Nice Warren G interview remembering Nate Dogg  (Read 493 times)

kuruptDPG

Re: Nice Warren G interview remembering Nate Dogg
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:37:29 AM »
“it took for your homeboy to die for you to make a classic record.”

sum1 from dubcc lol?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 05:34:31 AM »
DX: Yourself, DJ Quik, Dr. Dre and Big Hutch are all credited as pioneers of G-Funk. What do you think each's signature sound/contribution is?

Warren G: G-Funk is Warren G. G-Funk is Warren G, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, RBX, Daz [Dillinger], [The Lady of] Rage  – that’s G-Funk. Outside of that, I mean. It’s what we created. I’m the first one to really do it. I started it. It came when we did The Chronic [by Dr. Dre]. Actually, when I did [Mista Grimm's] “Indo Smoke” and when I did “Regulate.” I started G-Funk, that’s taking some gangsta shit and putting a melody to it and having a guy – which was Nate Dogg – sing some soulful gangsta shit about how he felt. That was G-Funk.
lol i bet hutch doesnt like this claim

kuruptDPG

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »
DX: Yourself, DJ Quik, Dr. Dre and Big Hutch are all credited as pioneers of G-Funk. What do you think each's signature sound/contribution is?

Warren G: G-Funk is Warren G. G-Funk is Warren G, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, RBX, Daz [Dillinger], [The Lady of] Rage  – that’s G-Funk. Outside of that, I mean. It’s what we created. I’m the first one to really do it. I started it. It came when we did The Chronic [by Dr. Dre]. Actually, when I did [Mista Grimm's] “Indo Smoke” and when I did “Regulate.” I started G-Funk, that’s taking some gangsta shit and putting a melody to it and having a guy – which was Nate Dogg – sing some soulful gangsta shit about how he felt. That was G-Funk.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:31:49 PM »
When did Quik ever try to credit himself as a pioneer of G-Funk? He obviously has some similar influences but I never felt he was part of that movement. I think he did his own thing.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:37:15 AM »
When did Quik ever try to credit himself as a pioneer of G-Funk? He obviously has some similar influences but I never felt he was part of that movement. I think he did his own thing.
never.

he did say he imitated dre's sound on safe & sound though

Jimmy H.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »
I think Quik just has his own signature. Even when there is a Dr. Dre influence, he still has his own way of doing things and that's why a lot of these other heralded West Coast producers feel more like "beat makers" to me. They can make a banger but they don't think about production like Quik does. I think of G-Funk, I think of Dre, Warren G, and Daz during those Death Row days. Quik's stuff was very funk-heavy in terms of samples and influences but he spun it in a whole other direction.

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »

And why would he, when it isn't true :)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 03:02:34 AM »

And why would he, when it isn't true :)
because he puts so much energy into claming he invented g-funk ;)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:47:16 AM »
quik is more jazz influenced then anything...even on safe and sound he was messing with a lot of gfunk elements but it still had jazz sensibilities