Author Topic: what do west coast fans consider a flop  (Read 727 times)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: what do west coast fans consider a flop
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 09:03:01 AM »
^what is "real rap music"?  :eh:

Rappers are compromising their freedom of expression

is that why 99% of all the rappers are rappin about violence, luxury and sex?

Will_B

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 09:13:20 AM »

Yeah they're rappin low brow lyrics bout luxury American brand names, clubs, violence against each other, being in the v.i.p (LMFAO), weed, alcohol and sex...

Instead of some of the above AND black power/equality, african roots, freedom of speech, individuality and unity.

And dudes who are happy to call another black guy a 'skinny jeans faggot' coz he doesn't conform to the code....nah fuck individuality...who thought that was a good idea? :laugh:

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »

Yeah they're rappin low brow lyrics bout luxury American brand names, clubs, violence against each other, being in the v.i.p (LMFAO), weed, alcohol and sex...

Instead of some of the above AND black power/equality, african roots, freedom of speech, individuality and unity.

And dudes who are happy to call another black guy a 'skinny jeans faggot' coz he doesn't conform to the code....nah fuck individuality...who thought that was a good idea? :laugh:

na, i c what ur sayin, Willie.
but i disagree,
the "real hiphop"-nusiance is just some hipster-mentality. hiphop is an evolvin music-genre, n its evolves just like rock every 4 or 5 yrs

and the acfrocentricity-crap isnt worth a penny IMO.
bitter 60's-babies like Erykah Badu and KRS-one can't tell me what hiphop is and/or "should be", n neither can anybody else. "hiphop" is what it is today, its up to the consumer if he/she wants to listen to hiphop today or not

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:33:52 AM by Michael Madsen (British saliva on my dick) »

Will_B

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 09:37:09 AM »
What I'm sayin is radio shit = fluff however you look at it yell.

Would you call Public Enemy bitter 60's babies?

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »
dont even kno what fluff is

neither Chuck D or Flav have complained about hiphpo of today.. so i dont think they r bitter

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »
It's tough to tell because the sales seem to keep going down, so what was bad a few years back is good now...
and it keeps readjusting, so who knows.

I don't know how the industry is still going, seeing as they used to consider 500,000 a flop back in the day,
and now only like 3-4 people in the record biz can sell that much.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
I call something a flop if it underperforms expectations. I don't think anyone expects these indie rappers to do good numbers. But Game or Snoop releasing on a major label and having their songs pushed are supposed to do well. Definitely someone like Game who goes around bragging about how his album is going to sell is putting himself out there for criticism when it doesn't.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 12:11:19 AM »
I kind of like where you're going with this, Madsen. It kind of lands on a similar point to something I was trying to touch on. The content of the music has always kind of been the same. It's just the method of production has switched up a little bit.

People kind of give Jay crap for admitting how he dumbed down the presentation of his content but how far removed is that from Pac advising artists to rhyme for women instead of men because females are the more commercial demographic? We sort of look back at the 90's through rose-colored glasses but the fact was the more popular "gangsta rap" acts (namely Death Row) adopted a very commerical sound. Dre spoke on this in one special, saying how even though the content is abrassive, the production sounds as polished as a Michael Jackson record. This is in itself, basically admitting that the music needs to sound a certain way to be accepted by the masses. If you listen to "Ready To Die", the more rugged records take a backseat to the more R&B-sounding singles in "Juicy" and "Big Poppa". And it's true of a lot of artists. Nas was having Lauryn Hill harmonize on his single. Even the socially-consience artists needed to have that kind of sugar-sweet balance for it to appeal. There was always a formula. 

Elkoizm

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 05:31:53 AM »
^
damn. the truth.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 09:52:49 AM »
I kind of like where you're going with this, Madsen. It kind of lands on a similar point to something I was trying to touch on. The content of the music has always kind of been the same. It's just the method of production has switched up a little bit.

People kind of give Jay crap for admitting how he dumbed down the presentation of his content but how far removed is that from Pac advising artists to rhyme for women instead of men because females are the more commercial demographic? We sort of look back at the 90's through rose-colored glasses but the fact was the more popular "gangsta rap" acts (namely Death Row) adopted a very commerical sound. Dre spoke on this in one special, saying how even though the content is abrassive, the production sounds as polished as a Michael Jackson record. This is in itself, basically admitting that the music needs to sound a certain way to be accepted by the masses. If you listen to "Ready To Die", the more rugged records take a backseat to the more R&B-sounding singles in "Juicy" and "Big Poppa". And it's true of a lot of artists. Nas was having Lauryn Hill harmonize on his single. Even the socially-consience artists needed to have that kind of sugar-sweet balance for it to appeal. There was always a formula.  

This is what I was getting at when I called Dre's music pop before. He's always made a mainstream-oriented sound.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
To me an album is a flop depending on the marketing effort you put into it.. if you only used Youtube, Ustream, FaceBook & Twitter for promo and Pushing like 100k first week. then its not really flopping.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »
To me an album is a flop depending on the marketing effort you put into it.. if you only used Youtube, Ustream, FaceBook & Twitter for promo and Pushing like 100k first week. then its not really flopping.
True. I brought this up in the case of Jay Rock, who people felt bombed. But a lot of it comes down to different aspects. Indy music often adopts a different marketing plan altogether. Music we tend to all group together but for instance, Jay-Z and Kanye's project went through different channels in order to insure that so if that album had underperformed, you could definitely call it a brick.