Author Topic: 94-96 hip hop  (Read 366 times)

bouli77

Re: 94-96 hip hop
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
Lil Wayne probably is a blood. That's how meaningless a gang affiliation is. Rappers weren't any more "real" in 94-96, you just didn't have the internet and knew nothing about how they lived, so you thought what you heard on records was real life.

if anything, rappers were faker in 96 than they are today... america (and therefore, europe) was so fascinated with gangsta rap and the underworld it depicted that in order to be "hip" or "in" you had to pretend to be hard, every relevant mainstream rapper had to become gangster to adapt to the trend of the day, that's why you had dude like Hammer trying to do gangsta rap...

the main difference between 96 rap and today's rap is the musical consistency of the mainstream. and at the time, whether from the South, East, West & Midwest, most mainstream music knocked at least a little bit even if the rappers weren't necessarily good and/or the music not original in the least. since most of the underground tries to replicate what the mainstream does, underground shit in general sounded nice too.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »
Lil Wayne probably is a blood. That's how meaningless a gang affiliation is. Rappers weren't any more "real" in 94-96, you just didn't have the internet and knew nothing about how they lived, so you thought what you heard on records was real life.

True that. The internet killed the thug.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »

True that. The internet killed the thug.

Internet killed the Thug. Sounds like a great idea for a song.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »
Was the best years ever for hip hop...damn!glad i had a chance to live threw it,and see it.cause it's all pure shit now.rappers kissing other rappers..gimmicks,and fake gang bangers..rappers dressing in tights jeans,white rappers calling blacks niggas openly in their music now..and the sad part is,people are buying this bullshit.

agreed

rap is turning into a bunch of faggot shit today

94-96 was certainly the golden era in rap music.  Hip-Hop culture as a whole may have been a little bit stronger around 82.  Just because back then graffiti, b-boying, and the DJ were still sharing some of the spotlight along with rap.   If you go back and watch the 1982 documentary Style Wars you will see what I mean.

But definitely for Rap music the golden era was 1994-96.  That's why I think Russel Simmons documentary The Show should be considered one of the all-time great documentaries because it accurately documents rap music during that era.  

So I recommend those two documentaries to the young heads at the forum.  But there is nothing better than having experienced that time period.  Those were two of the best years of my life, and those were key years for me that I really found my identity.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:55:36 AM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

midwestryder

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »
Was the best years ever for hip hop...damn!glad i had a chance to live threw it,and see it.cause it's all pure shit now.rappers kissing other rappers..gimmicks,and fake gang bangers..rappers dressing in tights jeans,white rappers calling blacks niggas openly in their music now..and the sad part is,people are buying this bullshit.
this is so true. 94-96 was another golden era in hip hop. so many classics that come to mind from the east, west, south and midwest at that time. each region was contributing something special to the game and was authentic 100% of the time. too many gimmicks and fag shit going on these days and dudes dissin for publicity(like alley boy dissing jeezy and t.i....lol) but don't be fooled guys there's still a lot of great shit out there and more great shit to come stay tuned !!!!!!!! hip hop still ain't in bad shape  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
but the golden era was not 1994 to 1996. the golden era of hip hop was 1989 to 1996 . 94-to 96 was the end of it .