..on this cover?

Super gay
10 (30.3%)
Not gay, just feminine, i like it though
7 (21.2%)
Whatever. only care about the music
16 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Does DJ Quik look gay...  (Read 3758 times)

Cavvy

Re: Does DJ Quik look gay...
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »
I can't help but wonder if all these rappers who insist on their heterosexuality, being players and being pimps so much, yet donning this sort of look aren't in a sense. Honestly, Suga Free and Katt Williams in particular look as if they're overcompensating...and over-over-over-overcompensating in Suga Free's case. If they're truly heterosexuals, they're camp straight at the very least.

This is something pervasive about hip hop culture in general, actually. Despite being a generally homophobic genre with an emphasis on manliness, there's a disproportionate interest in clothes, jewelry, looks and brotherly love that's...rather suspect. It certainly is a hypocritic atmosphere. One could begin to wonder where hiphop's misogyny comes from. Face it, in terms of generally promoted values hiphop is a caveman's genre.

Not that I'm saying that these guys or others are definately gay, even though they might be, but I'm saying that hiphop is 'gayer' than its artists and fans are willing to admit and has some unresolved issues with homosexuality.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArmouredClosetGay
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CampStraight

a braindead thread pulls a great response. Possibly the best post Ive read in years

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »
I can't help but wonder if all these rappers who insist on their heterosexuality, being players and being pimps so much, yet donning this sort of look aren't in a sense. Honestly, Suga Free and Katt Williams in particular look as if they're overcompensating...and over-over-over-overcompensating in Suga Free's case. If they're truly heterosexuals, they're camp straight at the very least.

This is something pervasive about hip hop culture in general, actually. Despite being a generally homophobic genre with an emphasis on manliness, there's a disproportionate interest in clothes, jewelry, looks and brotherly love that's...rather suspect. It certainly is a hypocritic atmosphere. One could begin to wonder where hiphop's misogyny comes from. Face it, in terms of generally promoted values hiphop is a caveman's genre.

Not that I'm saying that these guys or others are definately gay, even though they might be, but I'm saying that hiphop is 'gayer' than its artists and fans are willing to admit and has some unresolved issues with homosexuality.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArmouredClosetGay
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CampStraight

it is a hypocritic atmosphere indeed, thats why u got guys like DJ Quik lookin feminine & androgyne on their album-covers, n instead tries to label it as swag or playa. some of the rappers endorse homosexuality without even knowin it (look at rapper Lil B wit his recent escapades)
*edit* i do know where Quik got his shit from tho, he tried to rock it wit class & emulate his pimpflick/blaxploitation-heroes a bit, but he failed n looked gay instead

anyway,
ur pobly readin into this a bit,, so whatever
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:11:37 PM by OG Mike Madsen »

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 02:30:01 PM »
over the yrs i looked past it..

i saw this

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-NZ0Ln7zcmk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-NZ0Ln7zcmk</a>

i jus gave up...

i never seen jazzy jeff, dj screw, michael watts, ron c , jam poney, greg street, rapid ric...hell or anyother dj act like this..

i fuck with em..but he queer..u cant tell me otherwise..n im a fan...

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
over the yrs i looked past it..

i saw this

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-NZ0Ln7zcmk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-NZ0Ln7zcmk</a>

i jus gave up...

i never seen jazzy jeff, dj screw, michael watts, ron c , jam poney, greg street, rapid ric...hell or anyother dj act like this..

i fuck with em..but he queer..u cant tell me otherwise..n im a fan...

Lol are you fucking kidding me? He is just vibing, dancing and having a good time. Gay as in happy.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 01:16:48 AM »
i am not kidding u...

the nigga look like a lesbian...the shit he did when rock the boat came on....made my cry..i :'( :'( :'( :'( why quik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

i seen niggas vibe...n having a good time...but not like that...that was ph balanced...

wayne kiss baby..

but quik..in this shit..kissed...daddies,uncles, brothers, cousin pete,

show me a nigga that does this shit..n i bet u the  fire helmet he licks..is near by

n again..i am quik fan...n i defended this nigga 4 yrs from my peers..n they brought this..n a nother video at the key club..up..i was speechless..lol he still my nigga..

dont have a problem with faggots..i own all of elton john, boy george, george michael, r.e.m, kd lang n etc albums...lol

say what u want about dre, lip gloss sequins etc..but u will never find footage of dre prancin..n gyrating like a broad..

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 07:19:03 AM »
quik has made some of the most danceable music out there. if u'd expect him not to get into the groove as he djing somethin' is wrong wit u.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

un0mic

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Aaaaaaannnd weeeeeee'reeeeee baaaaaaaaack!!!
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »
i am not kidding u...

the nigga look like a lesbian...the shit he did when rock the boat came on....made my cry..i :'( :'( :'( :'( why quik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

i seen niggas vibe...n having a good time...but not like that...that was ph balanced...

wayne kiss baby..

but quik..in this shit..kissed...daddies,uncles, brothers, cousin pete,

show me a nigga that does this shit..n i bet u the  fire helmet he licks..is near by

n again..i am quik fan...n i defended this nigga 4 yrs from my peers..n they brought this..n a nother video at the key club..up..i was speechless..lol he still my nigga..

dont have a problem with faggots..i own all of elton john, boy george, george michael, r.e.m, kd lang n etc albums...lol

say what u want about dre, lip gloss sequins etc..but u will never find footage of dre prancin..n gyrating like a broad..

Wowzers smh

I was gonna say y'all tripping. Sayin quik gay...

But that video just fucked me up...

Living in L. A. You see allot of gay...

And quik fit the discription in that vid...

Damn...
Wowzers!
L.A.M.B. Bitch!
-M.O.

bouli77

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »
i wouldn't be surprised if he was bisexual. artistic circles are strewn with homosexuals, i mean more than in society in general. quik fits the "artist" description more than most in the rap game. so if he comes out saying "i have bisexual/homosexual tendencies" i wouldn't be thrown for a loop and be like "wow that was unexpected". plus Quik is mad emotional, that may be something very backwards to say but being emotional is usually a female trait.

i'm sure there are a lot of closet homosexuals in rap, just like in sports in general. the comradery, the quasi exclusive masculine presence, etc.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
i wouldn't be surprised if he was bisexual. artistic circles are strewn with homosexuals, i mean more than in society in general. quik fits the "artist" description more than most in the rap game. so if he comes out saying "i have bisexual/homosexual tendencies" i wouldn't be thrown for a loop and be like "wow that was unexpected". plus Quik is mad emotional, that may be something very backwards to say but being emotional is usually a female trait.

i'm sure there are a lot of closet homosexuals in rap, just like in sports in general. the comradery, the quasi exclusive masculine presence, etc.

rofl, real talk

Will_B

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
People worried bout possible homosexual shit going on in the music industry....and by logic saying rappers are overcompensating...

Why does it matter so much to you? Ask yourself why are YOU overcompensating. :D

bouli77

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
it doesn't worry me in the least, i mean if they were gay i wouldn't like any less their music. it's interesting though, because in society there are publicly known homosexuals everywhere but in sports and rap music pretty much, and in politics to a lesser extent (a lot of ppl tend to hide it but some major politicians are known gays too). and it makes sense cause these fields are overwhelmingly masculine and competitive, so not only does being gay weaken their expected virility but it also puts off most of their collaborators. and even though rap & sports tend to be rather homophobic to say the least, you find the most sexually ambivalent behaviors :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/=-gcpR8yZdn8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/=-gcpR8yZdn8</a>

Will_B

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »
Even in mainstream music you get artists who are forced to hide their sexuality/relationship status by the label, to avoid losing interest/sales from a target audience. Sisqo did for years for example. You could say he was feminine, but girls adored him.

Quiks demeanour is a projection of his inner confidence and intelligence. Yes he's gifted, yes he's different from the pack...is he special as talent goes? Yes. Dude believes in himself and acts how he wants to, because he's different from most other people in this industry, he doesn't conform.