Author Topic: Dr Dre & Warren G  (Read 1926 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Dr Dre & Warren G
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »
the fact of the matter is, they are two of the same mold. theyre both producers who like to take total control and command the music they touch. so for both of them to work together would be tough, because they would cancel each other out. producers dont usually collaborate the same way rappers do. i mean, it can be done, but they're too similar in fashion to consistently work together. it doesnt seem like there's any hard feelings between the two, but more so a difference of direction.

good point
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

ironmike

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 01:42:10 AM »
Dre and suge made a big mistake not signing him as warren's first album supposedly sold 10 million worldwide.

I diagree. Warren is a dope producer and talent but he would have got lost in the shuffle over at Death Row. Instead of playing the waiting game at a label that was overstocked with people from the same circle as himself, he went over to another label that had really nobody from the West and cut a good deal for himself. His value was much higher to a label like Def Jam who needed what he was offering and could make him a priority than to Death Row, who would have made him just another part of the team.

Nepotisn is a sweet gig if you can get it but if you have the talent and drive, why wait around for other people to work with you? It's a double-edged sword here. If Dre brings Warren into make music, it's fucked up how Dre needs him to do the work for him. If he doesn't, it's fucked up how Dre don't help Warren out with some work. Warren G is a talented enough producer with plenty of connections to both established vets and newcomers trying to get their foot in the door that he can go out and make great music on its own. Warren G is plenty talented enough to not rely on being Dr. Dre's brother or Snoop's BFF to eat.

I'm not saying Warren was better off with signing to death row,... what I'm trying to say is that dre and suge made a big mistake in not signing him,
and not taking his talent as an artist seriously by priorising him for a quick release like in 1994. It could've been done if dre and suge were serious about it,
but they obviously underestimated warren's talent and ability to sell millions. They fucked up, not warren. They did it for 2pac,
when he signed in mid/late 1995, and started making his debut deathrow album "all eyez on me" straight away, and gave it a quick release in 1996,
and then only a few months later the makaveli album was released. 2pac wasnt in the plans of deathrow before 1995, but they pushed for him to get his album out
as soon as possible once he signed.

Because dre and suge were'nt really trying to do anything with warren, he made the best move by signing to defjam and released his debut LP in 94,
at the height of the popularity of snoop and deathrow. He even brought out artists under him like the twinz and the dove shack who got to release albums
just a year later in 95, and then early 1997 releasing his second LP on def jam.

Going to dej jam was definately the best move for warren.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:50:02 AM by ironmike »

bouli77

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 04:15:56 AM »
signing warren was also the best move with def jam... remember def jam was struggling at the time and russell simmons' other ventures weren't taking off yet (phat pharm, def comedy jam). so warren's sales were a breath of fresh air before def jam really got to kill the game in 97-98.

THEV1LL4N

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »
The only other thing I can think of that they did was the Up In Smoke Tour.

YSH

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • hi
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
warren g style and dre style dont match well together

listen to the beats the keys and drums are too different

dre might mix warren shit but

they cannot collab on producing cuz the way they make beats is too different

Jimmy H.

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
I'm not saying Warren was better off with signing to death row,... what I'm trying to say is that dre and suge made a big mistake in not signing him,
and not taking his talent as an artist seriously by priorising him for a quick release like in 1994. It could've been done if dre and suge were serious about it,
but they obviously underestimated warren's talent and ability to sell millions. They fucked up, not warren. They did it for 2pac,
when he signed in mid/late 1995, and started making his debut deathrow album "all eyez on me" straight away, and gave it a quick release in 1996,
and then only a few months later the makaveli album was released. 2pac wasnt in the plans of deathrow before 1995, but they pushed for him to get his album out
as soon as possible once he signed.

But again, I don't think it was that big of a mistake. They had several new artists to concentrate on at the time. Everyone but Dr. Dre was a new artist. New artists need time to be developed. When they signed Pac, he was three albums deep and coming off the biggest selling album of his career and embroiled in some major controversies, it was a no-brainer. Warren's talent was producing. Dr. Dre was the most bankable producer in rap when they started Death Row so Warren was going to be taking a backseat to that for awhie. As it is, Death Row got the rights to Warren's first hit single, "Regulate" and dropped it on "Above The Rim" soundtrack so they must have known what they were doing a little bit.

ironmike

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »
^
Yeah thats a good point.

warren g style and dre style dont match well together

listen to the beats the keys and drums are too different

dre might mix warren shit but

they cannot collab on producing cuz the way they make beats is too different

who says that dre cant produce some beats for warren's albums, or feature on his albums, or have warren guest feature (rapping) on dre's albums ?....

dre did produce the game dont wait remix, and "lookin at you" , and mixed the "do you see" song. So he has contributed something to warren's songs,
but he's never featured on a g-dub track, and g-dub has never featured on a dr dre album as a rapper
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:35:03 PM by ironmike »

Will_B

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 05:12:12 AM »
I think the OG of Lookin at You featured Dre

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »
Warren was working with Dre and the camp between I Want It All and Retutn of the Regulator. I always assumed it was a trowaway from that time. Maybe Warren even submitted shit for 2001 which got rejected.

According to Bad Azz, "The Watcher" is a Warren G beat.
he must be on crack, it sounds nothing like warren g.