Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar- Good kid Maad City goes gold!  (Read 2147 times)

HighEyeCue

Re: Kendrick Lamar- Good kid Maad City goes gold!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 06:38:12 AM »
& It's bound to go platinum & double platinum at the very least! Mark my words, been saying it ALL ALONG while some other here would doubt this album would even & ever be released on the Math!

Plat maybe is within reach especially if he releases a crossover hit but no way double, not even Drake or Nicki have been certified double, I think Wayne and Em are the only hiphop artists to reach double in the last 5 years or so
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:46:03 AM by HighEyeCue »

bouli77

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 07:10:49 AM »
& It's bound to go platinum & double platinum at the very least! Mark my words, been saying it ALL ALONG while some other here would doubt this album would even & ever be released on the Math!

Plat maybe is within reach especially if he releases a crossover hit but no way double, not even Drake or Nicki have been certified double, I think Wayne and Em are the only hiphop artists to reach double in the last 5 years or so

with Jay & Ye obviously. lol @ Cordozzar acting like he's a prophet  ::)

Cordozzar Drakko

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 07:22:35 AM »

with Jay & Ye obviously. lol @ Cordozzar acting like he's a prophet  ::)

ain't about that, just go back at what some stupes were saying a few months back, talking down on Dre (& the West) AS USUAL on this site. that's what's good about it, NO ONE can take it back!
& I tell you let's check back in a few months time & see who was right & who was wrong. Cause myself, I DO stick to my words. & if/ when I'm wrong I have no problem admitting it.
simple as that Bouli.
& I'm confident Kendrick can & will do it, with all the touring he does helping him achieve that. That & Dre pushing him of course. Let me remind you he's going to Australia this December & Europe follows in January. He's bound to include Japan at some point & I wouldn't be surprised he toured ALL the US all over again right after that.
WORK ALWAYS PAYS OFF & Kendrick showed up to this very day he got great work ethic. That also differentiates the greats from the rest.
By the way, & just so we're clear, I'm talking double platinum worldwide of course!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:35:20 AM by Cordozzar Drakko »

MistaNova

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:47 AM »
Out of curiousity, anyone here buy it?

I haven't. I still haven't even listened to the album at all.

Cordozzar Drakko

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 08:08:09 AM »

Of course I did. Got both my Krendrick & my Xzibit cd's the very same day. That's the only way to support the artists you say you like. Buy the albums & go to the concerts.

doggfather

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »

it's on my list!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 10:56:36 AM »

Of course I did. Got both my Krendrick & my Xzibit cd's the very same day. That's the only way to support the artists you say you like. Buy the albums & go to the concerts.

+1 I done the same

Remedy360

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
Fuck Kendrick, he doesn't rap about the same stuff as Snoop, Dre, Kurupt and Daz so I don't support him!

JK, congrats to him, well deserved.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
The logical choice is "Poetic Justice" just off that sample alone, not to mention the Drake feature. Once this single gets major burn then he will have the visibility to follow up with another single

The sample is about a Year or Two too early, 1997 was just yesterday.  Classic song definitely, but not vintage like the James Brown songs they used to sample in the late 80's-early 90's (even tho a few of them were too early themselves).

And believe me, i get WHY they wanna use that song but I personally don't think it's the right single for NOW.  I think everybody who's familiar with Kendrick Lamar know of "Poetic Justice" with Drake.  I think personally it's more of a backfire right now than a good move.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
It's currently the 28th best selling album release of 2012 in the US. It's still going strong so it could end up in the top 20 with a little luck.

The only hip-hop albums from 2012 to sell better are:

Nicki Minaj @ 725k
Rick Ross @ 470k

Kendrick will definitely surpass Rick Ross.

Best selling 2012 release overall in the US is Taylor Swift at 2080k. Best selling album overall in 2012, is the 2011 release "21" by Adele which has done over 4 million this year and just topped 10 million (diamond) overall. Worldwide it is closing in on 25 million. Crazy numbers.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »
It's currently the 28th best selling album release of 2012 in the US. It's still going strong so it could end up in the top 20 with a little luck.

The only hip-hop albums from 2012 to sell better are:

Nicki Minaj @ 725k
Rick Ross @ 470k

Kendrick will definitely surpass Rick Ross.

Best selling 2012 release overall in the US is Taylor Swift at 2080k. Best selling album overall in 2012, is the 2011 release "21" by Adele which has done over 4 million this year and just topped 10 million (diamond) overall. Worldwide it is closing in on 25 million. Crazy numbers.

so in terms of White World Earth it means nothing but in terms of the US and US/Europe it's not that bad.  Ok

bouli77

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »
The logical choice is "Poetic Justice" just off that sample alone, not to mention the Drake feature. Once this single gets major burn then he will have the visibility to follow up with another single

The sample is about a Year or Two too early, 1997 was just yesterday.  Classic song definitely, but not vintage like the James Brown songs they used to sample in the late 80's-early 90's (even tho a few of them were too early themselves).

And believe me, i get WHY they wanna use that song but I personally don't think it's the right single for NOW.  I think everybody who's familiar with Kendrick Lamar know of "Poetic Justice" with Drake.  I think personally it's more of a backfire right now than a good move.

the original Janet song was released in 1993, not 1997 though. and J. Diggs sampled it three years ago and did a better job overall (even though Drake & Kendrick are superior rappers obviously, his song came out better)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAS1j5k-U3I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TAS1j5k-U3I</a>

i don't think it's a good single pick either, it's one of the subpar tracks off the album IMO even though Drake & Kendrick did their thing, they kinda butchered Janet's classic.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 12:31:49 PM »
lol, damn i thought that shit was 97'... tru

I used to hear that song on the radio everyday in 97/98 (Velvet Robe) and now they only play it on the radio as a treat. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pzaf2C_FEyw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pzaf2C_FEyw</a>

"Any Time, Any Place" is a song by American singer Janet Jackson from her fifth studio album, janet. (1993). Released as the album's fifth single on May 23, 1994, it reached number two on the Billboard Hot 100 and became another R&B chart-topper for Jackson.

Jackson has performed the song on some of her tours, including the janet. Tour and Rock Witchu Tour. Snippets of the song were included on The Velvet Rope Tour before the performance of "Rope Burn". The song was also used as an interlude on the Number Ones: Up Close and Personal tour.

"Any Time, Any Place" was co-written and co-produced by Jackson and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, and is based on sexual liberation, similar to the music of Barry White and Marvin Gaye. Jackson sings about she and her lover having public displays of affection and sexual intercourse. The single contains two B-sides, the janet. track "Throb" and the then-unreleased "And on and On", which received some airplay. Two remixes of the song, the CJ's 12" Mix and the R. Kelly Mix, appear on Jackson's 1995 remix album janet. Remixed.

The song was used in a 1994 episode of CBS's soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful

The song held the number-one position on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for ten weeks (a record at the time) and became Jackson's biggest hit on the chart; it also peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 (behind All-4-One's "I Swear"), while it saw limited success in Europe and Australia.

The video for "Any Time, Any Place" was directed by Keir McFarlane. Jackson is depicted playing sex games with a man across the hall. The video acted as a safe sex campaign. An alternate version of the video with the R. Kelly Mix was also shot with more explicit footage. At the end of the video, the screen fades to black, and a message fades in: "any time, any place ......be responsible".

Both versions of the video are featured on the 1994 VHS janet., while the original appears on the DVD edition of 2001's All for You and on the 2004 DVD From janet. to Damita Jo: The Videos.

Track listings and formats

UK 12" promo single (VSTXDJ 1501)[2]

CJ's 12" Mix – 8:17
    R. Kelly Mix – 5:12
    CJ's 7" Mix – 4:25
    D&D House Mix – 7:34
    CJ's Macapella Mix – 8:03
    Jam & Lewis Remix – 4:30

UK 12" single (VST 1501)[3]
Dutch CD maxi single (892 565 2)[4]

CJ's 12" Mix – 8:17
    "Throb" (David Morales Legendary Club Mix) – 9:05

UK CD maxi single (7243 8 38435 2 7)[5]
U.S. CD maxi single (V25H-38435)[6]

R. Kelly Mix – 5:13
    LP Version – 7:10
    "Throb" – 4:36
    "And on and On" – 4:48

U.S. 12" single (Y-38435)[7]

R. Kelly Mix – 5:12
    Jam & Lewis Remix – 4:30
    "Throb" (David Morales Legendary Dub) – 7:27
    "Throb" – 4:48

Official remixes

Album version – 7:08
    Video version – 4:36
    CJ's 7" Mix – 4:25
    CJ's 12" Mix – 8:18
    CJ's Macapella – 7:40
    D&D House Mix – 7:33
    Jam & Lewis Mix – 4:36
    R. Kelly Mix – 5:11
    R. Kelly single edit – 4:30
    R. Kelly UK edit – 5:00
    Live on Saturday Night Live – 4:24

Cover versions

Jazz musician Tom Scott covered the song in 1995 from the Night Creatures album.

Hip Hop recording artist Kendrick Lamar sampled the song in 2012 with "Poetic Justice."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4HDtpCkDCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/q4HDtpCkDCs</a>

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »
it still feels too early

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »
i know his hype but is he good