Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar- Good kid Maad City goes gold!  (Read 2144 times)

West Coast Veteran

Re: Kendrick Lamar- Good kid Maad City goes gold!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
Congrats to Kendrick. I bought two copies, regular and deluxe.

dameons

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »
Fuck kendrick and his spoken word album . Get the Xzibit , Black C , and 40 and Short Mobb disc albums . Black C has the best westcoast album out right now , and it sounds like it was made for fans of the golden era, 1993-2002 .

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
Fuck Kendrick, he doesn't rap about the same stuff as Snoop, Dre, Kurupt and Daz so I don't support him!

JK, congrats to him, well deserved.

yes he does....he raps the same content from a "hipsters" viewpoint. LOL

Sccit

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 11:35:34 PM »
The logical choice is "Poetic Justice" just off that sample alone, not to mention the Drake feature. Once this single gets major burn then he will have the visibility to follow up with another single

The sample is about a Year or Two too early, 1997 was just yesterday.  Classic song definitely, but not vintage like the James Brown songs they used to sample in the late 80's-early 90's (even tho a few of them were too early themselves).

And believe me, i get WHY they wanna use that song but I personally don't think it's the right single for NOW.  I think everybody who's familiar with Kendrick Lamar know of "Poetic Justice" with Drake.  I think personally it's more of a backfire right now than a good move.

the original Janet song was released in 1993, not 1997 though. and J. Diggs sampled it three years ago and did a better job overall (even though Drake & Kendrick are superior rappers obviously, his song came out better)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAS1j5k-U3I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TAS1j5k-U3I</a>

i don't think it's a good single pick either, it's one of the subpar tracks off the album IMO even though Drake & Kendrick did their thing, they kinda butchered Janet's classic.

drake is a superior rapper to j-diggs? LOL, good one.

Will_B

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 03:45:29 AM »
Fuck Kendrick, he doesn't rap about the same stuff as Snoop, Dre, Kurupt and Daz so I don't support him!

JK, congrats to him, well deserved.

yes he does....he raps the same content from a "hipsters" viewpoint. LOL

The main difference is Kendrick is clearly intelligent and puts effort into his lyrics

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »
The logical choice is "Poetic Justice" just off that sample alone, not to mention the Drake feature. Once this single gets major burn then he will have the visibility to follow up with another single

The sample is about a Year or Two too early, 1997 was just yesterday.  Classic song definitely, but not vintage like the James Brown songs they used to sample in the late 80's-early 90's (even tho a few of them were too early themselves).

And believe me, i get WHY they wanna use that song but I personally don't think it's the right single for NOW.  I think everybody who's familiar with Kendrick Lamar know of "Poetic Justice" with Drake.  I think personally it's more of a backfire right now than a good move.

What you just said is why they're using it, yes everybody familiar with Kendrick knows the song, but this is for the people who AREN'T familiar with Kendrick, this is their crossover record, a way to reach new fans.

bouli77

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »

the original Janet song was released in 1993, not 1997 though. and J. Diggs sampled it three years ago and did a better job overall (even though Drake & Kendrick are superior rappers obviously, his song came out better)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAS1j5k-U3I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TAS1j5k-U3I</a>

i don't think it's a good single pick either, it's one of the subpar tracks off the album IMO even though Drake & Kendrick did their thing, they kinda butchered Janet's classic.

drake is a superior rapper to j-diggs? LOL, good one.

i mean I prefer J Diggs any day to Drake but from a technical standpoint there's no comparison possible... Drake is way better than Diggs. Diggs is a generic ass rapper, I like him cause he got soul but he never was that good, easily one of the worse rappers from the Romper Room family. dude got an OK voice though.

Sccit

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »
Drakes raps are generic and fabricated with a radio formula. J-diggs got real flows, and he may not but the greatest lyricist, but he got dope flows and shit sounds authentic. Drake uses the corniest punch lines interchangeable with a lot of rappers comin out nowadays and he makes music for faggots. Overall j-diggs > drake all day
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:36:39 AM by NIKCC »

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 02:07:34 AM »
Classic song definitely, but not vintage like the James Brown songs they used to sample in the late 80's-early 90's (even tho a few of them were too early themselves).

??? ???
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 02:09:04 AM »

The sample is about a Year or Two too early, 1997 was just yesterday.  Classic song definitely, but not vintage like the James Brown songs they used to sample in the late 80's-early 90's (even tho a few of them were too early themselves).

And believe me, i get WHY they wanna use that song but I personally don't think it's the right single for NOW.  I think everybody who's familiar with Kendrick Lamar know of "Poetic Justice" with Drake.  I think personally it's more of a backfire right now than a good move.

Drake is what ?? A RAPPER ??
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

dnjp4life

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 02:15:23 AM »
good look for Kendrick...Gold is basically what Plat was years ago

Very good numbers for a fairly new rapper.  I bet Dre is pleased!

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 06:20:35 AM »

The sample is about a Year or Two too early, 1997 was just yesterday.  Classic song definitely, but not vintage like the James Brown songs they used to sample in the late 80's-early 90's (even tho a few of them were too early themselves).

And believe me, i get WHY they wanna use that song but I personally don't think it's the right single for NOW.  I think everybody who's familiar with Kendrick Lamar know of "Poetic Justice" with Drake.  I think personally it's more of a backfire right now than a good move.

What you just said is why they're using it, yes everybody familiar with Kendrick knows the song, but this is for the people who AREN'T familiar with Kendrick, this is their crossover record, a way to reach new fans.

Who would u reach with this song besides children without smart phones & the 31 & Up Club who those children and eveybahdyeimnem?  It's a flattering record but it's not the Original and it doesn't come close.  it'll sell tickets tho

But frankly I just think it's a wack mandatory album track.  I mean it's not horrible all around in a way but it ain't great.  

Now that it's out and it's seeped in for a minute I'm used to it but Drake & Kendrick on a Bird Ballad for the radio just looks and sounds like some industry shit [so far].  Like the shit don't sound Amazing (like a rap duet with Kendrick & Cole - even tho Cole has a nice ear). "Marvin's Room" was classic tho, even tho the Drake version sounds just as nice by itself 

Anyway, I hope u enjoy it
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:22:32 AM by Hollywood Bilderberg Group™ »

hrsmn_london

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 04:16:48 AM »
Bullshit. Fuck Dr. Dre for this. I appreciate that he has put someone from Compton on but dude is a Lil Wayne copy, in my opinion. The CD has Just Blaze production but no DJ Quik. Bullshit.

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 04:23:14 AM »
someone post the best song from kendrick , i wanna hear what the fuss is about . i don´t usually check anything Dre "makes" these days, he´s gone from an innovator to a follower

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 05:07:31 AM »
someone post the best song from kendrick , i wanna hear what the fuss is about . i don´t usually check anything Dre "makes" these days, he´s gone from an innovator to a follower
Kendrick is not about one or two bangin' tracks - it's the whole concept. You need to actually listen to the whole album and pay attention.

But if you REALLY want to do yourself the disservice of just checkin' out a song or two, you should check out "M.A.A.D. City" and "HiiiiPower". "M.a.a.d. City" is split into two parts. The first part has a southern vibe, but is still cool. The second part is just....let me just say that no fan of west coast rap could possible dislike that. "HiiiPower" is the standout track from "Section.80".

My personal favourite Kendrick track is "Good Kid", but I can see why that track isn't for everyone. No real hip-hop fan could hate on "M.a.a.d. City" or "HiiiPower" though, so check out those first.