Author Topic: Good kid mad city being compared to Illmatic? WTF  (Read 1334 times)

doggfather

Re: Good kid mad city being compared to Illmatic? WTF
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 01:05:34 AM »
Can I be honest for a moment?

good kid maad city is an okay album that is mad overrated by people.

and so is illmatic (I'm a Nas fan btw).
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Will_B

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 02:01:14 AM »
One huge difference is that Illmatic was written by a teenager. Kendrick is rapping about his teenage years, but is an adult..

Good point.

Internet fanboys tend to talk in extremes on this - "Album was WACK/TRASH, or album was GOAT/MASTERPIECE/FLAWLESS"

Kendricks album is a straight banger if you're a rap fan who appreciates the depth of writing, and construction of the sounds.

Others could easily call it boring if thats not their thing.

Kendricks also making waves outside genre fans with people who appreciate 'good' music. With word of mouth and media reviews he's killing it. This is a crossover record and I'm not talking bout pop.  Do I think it's a 'GOAT' album or whatever? Not nearly. Classic? Probably not for me..but it's of the 'best' rap albums of 2012
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:03:30 AM by Do Buy Albums »

hrsmn_london

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 05:25:59 AM »
GKMC had better beats.
Excuse me? One Premo beat is worth more than the whole Kendrick album.

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »
GKMC had better beats.

precisely.

T-o-m

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »
GKMC had better beats.
Word.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
GKMC had better beats.

Wow talk about stuck in the past, take off your backpack and superman cape, Premos been dusty for a while now.

midwestryder

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »
GKMC had better beats.

Wow talk about stuck in the past, take off your backpack and superman cape, Premos been dusty for a while now.
that is some ignorant new school bulshit you said . stop hating because what he said was true . premo will never be dusty. premo is too good to ever go dusty .

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
I'm 37 years old. Nas is easily in my top 3 of all time, might even be #1. Still, I think "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" may very well be better than any album Nas ever put out. Sure, one shouldn't judge an album too early, it may not stand the test of time. I believe this one will, though. On the flipside, I think one should also try not to put classic albums on too much of a pedestal. Yes, they are classics for a reason, but a large part of it is also nostalgia and the time it was part of. Doggystyle might be my favourite hip-hop album of all time, but would I rank it that high if it was released today? I'm not sure...

u couldnt be more off....if doggystyle was released today, it would be even better, since there is no music of that caliber being released nowadays, whereas there was great shit droppin left and right when doggsytyle came out.
You sound like my grandpa

your grandpa's an og
Love bro

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »
GKMC had better beats.

that is some ignorant new school bulshit you said . stop hating because what he said was true . premo will never be dusty. premo is too good to ever go dusty .

Even the best fall off bro, Premos' had the same sound for too long now, where's the innovation? His production discography is one of the best in hip hop but you'd have to be closed minded to think he is still on top of the game beatwise

UNCEEN

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »
I'm 37 years old. Nas is easily in my top 3 of all time, might even be #1. Still, I think "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" may very well be better than any album Nas ever put out. Sure, one shouldn't judge an album too early, it may not stand the test of time. I believe this one will, though. On the flipside, I think one should also try not to put classic albums on too much of a pedestal. Yes, they are classics for a reason, but a large part of it is also nostalgia and the time it was part of. Doggystyle might be my favourite hip-hop album of all time, but would I rank it that high if it was released today? I'm not sure...

u couldnt be more off....if doggystyle was released today, it would be even better, since there is no music of that caliber being released nowadays, whereas there was great shit droppin left and right when doggsytyle came out.
:D

Sccit

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 10:39:10 PM »
 8)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 06:54:17 AM »
the mods here are excellent.

as for "illmatic" vs "gkmc".....obviously, any1 comparing the 2 is either a.)and idiot b.)a 90s baby or c.)both
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »
LOL @ topic. Memory Lane >>> anything on that overrated nonsense. The intro Genesis harder than anything this nigga will ever make. That said Sik rite tho cuz Illmatic overrated by people too but its still lightyears ahead of KL shit.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
was illmatic compared to anything when it came out?

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
not even close...i mean wow i like kendrick but seriously wtf

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/editorials/id.2012/title.the-west-coast-illmatic-good-kid-maad-city-the-evolution-of-hip-hop-storytelling

yeah dude ! wut are these "PAID Critics" thinking, I mean we @ dubcnn forums already called it wack-a-doo !  :'(

MOM !! MEAT LOAF !!

you broke nigga, go sell crazy somewheres else We all stocked up here !!!
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!