Author Topic: How come the Royals have Shields and Santana yet we still suck again this year?  (Read 233 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Okay, I get it... so last year the problem was we had the worst starting pitching in all of baseball.  Okay, I get it.  Of course if you have the worst starting pitching in baseball your team is going to fucking suck.

So in the offseason the Royals totally revamped their starting rotation and paid Santana 12 million dollars to come here for one season, and gave away the #1 prospect in the minors (Will Myers) to get Ace big-game James Shields.  Both Santana and Shields have pitched their ass off this year and they both had a sub 3.00 ERA up until the last week or so.....  In fact, our starting pitching has ranked as one of the best staffs in all of baseball this year.

So... we come from worst to damn near first in pitching, yet....

WE STILL FUCKING SUCK!!!

..this fucking blows, the Royals will never be good as long as Mr. Wall-Mart is running our organization.   We have a fucking manager and GM from the stone ages who refuse to get with the times and go sabermetrics/Rany Jazerli/baseball prospectus/Money Ball --THEY NEED TO GET WITH THE TIMES.   Ned Yost goes on a damn hunch every game and just shoots from the hip with all his damn lineups and coaching moves.   I'd rather higher some stat geek who has never played baseball in his life and have him sit on the bench with a damn laptop and play the percentages on each pitch!!!

..thanks for listening to my rant.  I live in the worst baseball city in America and my team has had only 1 season above .500 in the last 20 years.  I think I'm entitled to an All-Star break rant.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

MistaNova

Shields and Santana have been very good this year, and while the old saying is "pitching wins games" you also need to score runs. Look at the Phillies, they've got Cliff Fucking Lee and Cole Hamels and suck because their lineup is old and can't score. The Royals suck at doing that as well. From what I've seen Cain, Butler and Gordon have been very good but last I checked none of the Royals players individually had more home runs than Brett Gardner (Yankees' lead off man), and lineups like that will suffer.

Anyway, from a Royals fan's perspective, have you given up on Hosmer and Moustakas?
I personally put Moustakas in the bust column a long time ago and am running out of patience with Hosmer.

Hack Wilson - real

horrible offense

Sccit

LOL I LOVE YOUR KANSAS CITY ROYAL THREADS

Hack Wilson - real

14th in on base percentage and 12th in slugging average in the American league

13th in runs scored

holland is a dope closer though

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Anyway, from a Royals fan's perspective, have you given up on Hosmer and Moustakas?
I personally put Moustakas in the bust column a long time ago and am running out of patience with Hosmer.

Actually as bad as it looks it was almost even worse.  For most of the year Moose was hitting under .200 and Hosmer was hitting a weak ass .240 or so on mostly all singles to the opposite field (having only 1 homer for most of the year).   We fired a very good hitting coach during the offseason (Kevin Sietzer) because Ned wanted to "pull the ball and hit more homeruns" lol.    So we were hitting even less homeruns with that strategy and the hitting coach got shitcanned.   Then, a miracled from the baseball God of Kansas City.  George Brett rode in on a white chariot to rescue the Royals from the pits of hell.   He took a job as hitting coach and suddenly Hosmer became a beast!  Hosmer hit like 7 homeruns in one week and damn near got his average to .290 before the break.  The joke around town was that if Brett could now fix Moose they would have to retire his number in the baseball hall of fame all over again.   Before Brett was hired we had gone on a streak where we lost something like 24 out of 29 games.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:04:17 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »

Remedy360

I feel for you man. Seems like the Royals have been re-building for years. My Mariners have sucked for a while but didn't actually "tear it down"  and start from scratch so to speak until  the last few years. We're starting to at least see some development in the young guys. The whole re-building thing can be very frustrating especially when your team was struggling before that, but I'm sure I don't have to explain that to you.

MistaNova

Actually as bad as it looks it was almost even worse.  For most of the year Moose was hitting under .200 and Hosmer was hitting a weak ass .240 or so on mostly all singles to the opposite field (having only 1 homer for most of the year).   We fired a very good hitting coach during the offseason (Kevin Sietzer) because Ned wanted to "pull the ball and hit more homeruns" lol.    So we were hitting even less homeruns with that strategy and the hitting coach got shitcanned.   Then, a miracled from the baseball God of Kansas City.  George Brett rode in on a white chariot to rescue the Royals from the pits of hell.   He took a job as hitting coach and suddenly Hosmer became a beast!  Hosmer hit like 7 homeruns in one week and damn near got his average to .290 before the break.  The joke around town was that if Brett could now fix Moose they would have to retire his number in the baseball hall of fame all over again.   Before Brett was hired we had gone on a streak where we lost something like 24 out of 29 games.

I see that narrative has gotten to you as well. (Not saying that that Brett stuff is BS, but I also don't agree with it).
Looking at Hosmer's recent stats on BR, he could very well be in line for a decent second half.
I still think Moustakas is a bust though. Unlike Hosmer, I can't even recall him ever being successful in the majors.

On the bright side though KC still has Bubba Starling and Kyle Zimmer, two very good prospects. And in a few years from now Detroit will be a lot older and a little weaker. If the Royals play their cards right the only potential threat to them could be the Twins who've also got a heck of a farmsystem.
Not sure if Yost and co will be around by then though.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
As for the last couple comments...

I've never been a believer in rebuilding.  I'd rather fill holes in the roster with veterans at the end of their career then take chances on young, unproven guys.  Case in point, Miguel Tejada is like 39 and has outplayed Moose at 3rd base this year. His batting average is nearly .100 points higher!   I think the "rebuilding" line is a marketing thing to give fans of teams like Mariners and Royals hope when they are on their way to losin 90 or 100 games.

And Iveus, I think you got me wrong.  I wasn't being sarcastic about George.  Brett truly is a saint here in KC.  I'm not exaggerating.   When your team is as bad as we are all we have to feel good about in this city is George Brett.  He did really help save the team when he came on.  He finally got Hosmer going, but I agree with you that I think Moose is a bust, but at least with George there is hope around here.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

Okay, I get it... so last year the problem was we had the worst starting pitching in all of baseball.  Okay, I get it.  Of course if you have the worst starting pitching in baseball your team is going to fucking suck.

WE STILL FUCKING SUCK!!!

..this fucking blows, the Royals will never be good as long as Mr. Wall-Mart is running our organization.   We have a fucking manager and GM from the stone ages who refuse to get with the times and go sabermetrics/Rany Jazerli/baseball prospectus/Money Ball --THEY NEED TO GET WITH THE TIMES.   Ned Yost goes on a damn hunch every game and just shoots from the hip with all his damn lineups and coaching moves.   I'd rather higher some stat geek who has never played baseball in his life and have him sit on the bench with a damn laptop and play the percentages on each pitch!!!

..thanks for listening to my rant.  I live in the worst baseball city in America and my team has had only 1 season above .500 in the last 20 years.  I think I'm entitled to an All-Star break rant.
They're not the worst baseball city in america.  Why bother showing up for a team whose owner don't care about winning?  KC is a much better baseball city than DC & T.Bay & Miami.  DC & T.Bay have been much better teams lately.  DC ain't even supporting their 3rd team.  MLB as a whole NEED TO GET WITH THE TIMES!  Living in the stone ages.  Dud Selig refusing to use instant replay, MLB refusing to have a salary cap.  People with their immature unwritten rules.  Nearly every team has dull boring plain uniforms.  Not every team looks good in gray, pinstripes or dental floss striped uniforms either.  Only the Red Sox & Dodgers look alright with them.  They won't reinstate Pete Rose.  He did NOT bet against his own team to lose.  That's all that matters, let him in already.  There's players who done worse & they're in the HOF. 

MistaNova

As for the last couple comments...

I've never been a believer in rebuilding.  I'd rather fill holes in the roster with veterans at the end of their career then take chances on young, unproven guys.  Case in point, Miguel Tejada is like 39 and has outplayed Moose at 3rd base this year. His batting average is nearly .100 points higher!   I think the "rebuilding" line is a marketing thing to give fans of teams like Mariners and Royals hope when they are on their way to losin 90 or 100 games.

And Iveus, I think you got me wrong.  I wasn't being sarcastic about George.  Brett truly is a saint here in KC.  I'm not exaggerating.   When your team is as bad as we are all we have to feel good about in this city is George Brett.  He did really help save the team when he came on.  He finally got Hosmer going, but I agree with you that I think Moose is a bust, but at least with George there is hope around here.

Rebuilding, if done correctly, can work. The Washington Nationals spent most of their post-Expos years rebuilding by drafting high and also establishing a top notch farm system with pieces that other teams would love to trade proven talent for. They drafted can't-miss talent with Strasburg, Harper and Rendon and have managed to use their reputation as a top 10 farm system to their advantage by trading prospects for proven vets like Gonzalez and Span.
The Pirates (another team without a winning season in the last 20 years) is also having a successful rebuilding process. They brought up the likes of McCutchen, Marte and have a solid core of pitching prospects like Cole and Taillion in their way up. And now they're one of the best teams on baseball.
The Chicago Cubs are also being smart and taking advantage of how the trade market and free agent market is getting more and more deprived of talent as teams sign their players to long term deals. They know that desperate teams in contention will give them an arm and a leg for even rentals like Matt Garza or Nate Schierholtz (I can't spell his name lol). And with the new CBA making it so that teams have a certain limit as to what they spend in the draft they're also willing to trade for another team's draft pool money (which they already did do twice)

Now all that being said, prospects are still prospects. There's no guarantee they'll all pan out. In fact, a lot of them will bust out.
But, rebuilding can really work if it's done by the right people. For every team that's failed to rebuild, there's always one that managed to succeed as well.

As for the Brett thing. I'll let you KC fans enjoy whatever small victories you may have gotten this year, but I still believe that's a bogus ass narrative that the team's just trying to force their fans to believe so they can continue to hope that their team can finally put it all together (and more importantly buy tickets or watch their games).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:09:33 AM by Iveus »