Author Topic: Is STEVE NASH a "Bad Teammate" too?  (Read 1248 times)

Sccit

Is STEVE NASH a "Bad Teammate" too?
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »
Ding: Nash's anger at Howard very real
Kevin Ding column: The words Steve Nash yelled at Dwight Howard in the Lakers' loss in Miami were rooted in ongoing frustration – hardly some random moment.

MIAMI – What's wrong with you if the Greatest Teammate Ever is fed up with you?
Well, what's wrong with Dwight Howard is he still isn't trying.

And for Steve Nash – who has spent close to two decades in the NBA making anyone who tried hard next to him look better than ever and who said during his own MVP heights that if everybody worked as hard as he does, he wouldn't even be in the league – not trying is infuriating.
They were always the most curious pairing of all the complex ones on these Lakers: The ultimate underdog and the No. 1 overall everything. The one who after practice Saturday was doing extreme pushups in conjunction with sprints, the other who was sitting in a courtside seat playing with his phone.
Neither of the Lakers' celebrated acquisitions has been healthy this season, which is part of the problem. It's about the only thing Nash and Howard have had in common.
For months, Nash has been talking about the Lakers needing to have "shared experiences" to grow together. That's tough if the teammates are seeing the experiences from totally different perspectives.
That's what prompted Nash and Howard to yell at each other in the third quarter of the Lakers' loss Sunday in Miami.
Nash drove and was trapped on the baseline by two Miami defenders, Udonis Haslem about to force Nash out of bounds and Mario Chalmers also there between Nash and Howard, who stood deep in the paint. The other three Lakers had the floor spaced the way Mike D'Antoni wants, all behind the 3-point arc, so no other Heat player could get to Howard.
Howard had time to stand there, stare at Nash and the two Heat players, hold his arms up and wave them.
So Howard's eyes and arms were working. Tragically, his legs and feet were not.
Are we going to chalk this up to after effects from his April back surgery, too?
Howard just stood there instead of trying to help Nash create a passing lane – and get himself an easy dunk, as Nash gestured afterward would've happened if Howard just did something besides stand there.
In Howard's eyes, he was open, so give him the ball. That has been Howard's point of view much of the season: He simply wants the ball, wants his touches, wants his shots – and yet refuses to buy into the D'Antoni doctrine that "the ball finds energy."
If Howard really lusts for individual offense so badly, why not try harder to get the ball? Even if he can't explode like he did when he fully trusted his body, at least try to do something. Just look at how well things went even with makeshift non-Nash point guards for Jordan Hill – with a herniated disk in his back and other injuries before requiring hip surgery – when he simply rolled hard off picks.
When teams trap or zone Nash, as they usually do, and stay at home on Kobe Bryant on the backside, it's pretty obvious that Howard is the guy with no one on him for the moment after the pick.
Catch, step, step. Score.
Not always, but certainly often – if you try.
Watch footage of those old Phoenix sets and it's more like pick and run for how hard the Suns would cut. Nash's magic has always risen out of everyone moving, teammates inspired by trust in him getting them the ball right on time if they brought real energy.
When Howard did not in that moment Sunday, after so many games now feeling trapped by so many instances of Howard's immobility, Nash snapped – far more so than when the two squabbled in Denver on Dec. 26, Howard's most lifeless game of the season besides Thursday in Boston.
Why won't Howard try?
He's simply afraid to hurt himself?
He wants to save his body for free agency and beyond?
He really hates pick-and-roll offense so much now – maybe because Shaquille O'Neal is so deep in his head that he's determined to prove O'Neal's preseason statement incorrect about the only way Howard is the best center in the league? ("If you want to go to flash and dunking and the pick and roll, you gotta go with Dwight Howard.")
Does it even matter?
When you know that this whole team's fate rides on Howard's level of effort, are 39 years old and just faced your own basketball mortality with a seven-week broken leg (and yes, Nash came back and is playing through his own nerve damage in his left leg, as Howard regularly cites about his left leg), it's enough to start steaming inside.
Even if you're known as the Greatest Teammate Ever.
Nash is not convinced Howard is incapable of playing pick and roll.
"We'd like to get him in the pick and roll more," Nash said Sunday. "I think that's how he was really good in Orlando. He'd pick and he'd dive and they'd swing and put it in to him, so he could get deeper catches and the help side has a more difficult time coming to him.
"I don't know. It's been difficult really to get him into that game – running into pick and rolls, diving hard, looking for the ball. We really haven't found that rhythm from him yet."
From him.
Howard would probably say for him.
He sat down after the game Sunday to do an interview with a highly attractive female reporter from Puerto Rico wearing clingy clothes and huge heels. Her first observation/question?
I watched the game today and you don't seem to be given the ball very much ...
Indeed, despite all the Defensive Player of the Year awards, the superficial stardom that Howard craves comes only from one end of the court.
It becomes a crucial issue when the Lakers aren't convinced Howard will consistently play hard on defense unless he has a role he accepts on offense.
Nash is not blameless for the Lakers' struggles; Bryant and D'Antoni, either. Rest assured, though, that even as the Lakers' brass tries to placate Howard so he'll re-sign, those three are on the same page about what hasn't clicked on Howard's end.
They've tried to feed him in the post early in games despite the analytics showing little production, and he has been trying a little harder in recent weeks – aside from sitting out because of fears over shoulder pain.
He tried on defense in the fourth quarter in Charlotte despite not getting any shots during the Lakers' improbable, important rally. And as long as Howard tries some – and his right shoulder appears to be sound enough for that considering he was hoisting 3-pointer after 3-pointer as his final warmup before tip-off Sunday – the Lakers will keep getting better.
They actually are in position to win their next two before the All-Star break (Suns, Clippers) and then two after (Celtics, Trail Blazers), all home games, and reach .500. As long as Howard tries some, yes, the Lakers will make the playoffs – as there's plenty of time to catch mediocre Utah or inexperienced Houston. And what if he really tries hard?
Even with his quarrel with Howard on Sunday, Nash said the Lakers are "sputtering in the right direction."
He isn't fed up to the point of giving up.
"We're not in here ready to quit on each other," Nash said. "We're still going for it. But it's just been really slow going."
That's how it goes when someone in a group believes failure is being done to him instead of by him.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/howard-495416-nash-lakers.html

smfh@this loser

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Is STEVE NASH a "Bad Teammate" too?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
When you have two former MVP's mad at you, it's time to look at yourself and ask yourself, "what the fuck am I doing wrong?"

Honestly, if it wasn't for Kobe retiring after next year, I'd want to the Lakers to blow the whole thing up this summer. But I really am hoping the Lakers could get something going because I want to see Kobe go out on top.

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:09:04 PM »
Bynum injured > Current Dwight

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »

I wouldn't go that far. Then we'd have an injured Gasol and we're still a 8th seed at best. I still support the trade, but this highlights how far down big men in the NBA have fallen. Within the last 2 years, the Lakers have had the two best big men in the NBA and both have flamed out. The game is changing, the Lakers might want to look at how they can change with the game and do it better than anyone else. Or like the 80's, put together a game changing team to make everyone follow their lead. And neither Bynum or Howard is a piece to that future.

Remedy360

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
Lulz

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 04:22:19 PM »
Rick Fox breakin it down to a T on 710am.... He says Dwight is a faggot.

Remedy360

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »

Eh I dono about that. Depends when AB comes back, but without Dwight assuming Hill and Pau were still injured you'd have been stuck playing that big goon whose always getting hyped on the bench.

PLANT

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »
Dwight still leading the league in rebounds and having a sub-par year

Sccit

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
Dwight still leading the league in rebounds and having a sub-par year

more proof that numbers dont tell the story..he's leading the league, but still averaging 3 less than last year and not nowhere near where we expect him to be when it comes to activity level. miami murdered us on the glass yesterday.. he should be getting AT LEAST 14-15 rebounds a night...thats what we got him for.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »

I wouldn't go that far. Then we'd have an injured Gasol and we're still a 8th seed at best. I still support the trade, but this highlights how far down big men in the NBA have fallen. Within the last 2 years, the Lakers have had the two best big men in the NBA and both have flamed out. The game is changing, the Lakers might want to look at how they can change with the game and do it better than anyone else. Or like the 80's, put together a game changing team to make everyone follow their lead. And neither Bynum or Howard is a piece to that future.

honestly, yes most of the league goes small, but i dont believe all that hype that traditional centers is irrelevant in this league.

we would of been great if we 1. we didnt hire mike brown, 2. if we didnt hire mike d'antoni, and 3. if dwight wasnt such a bitch.

of course we can be successful with dwight and pau, its the fact dwight is bitching about getting his touches down low and going to the post when he literally sucks down there.

hes a pick and roll, dive, garbage points player, he has no offensive game and never has in all his years in the NBA, and if you look at the games play by play, our team goes way out of our way to get him the ball, which usually ends up with him either getting stripped, throwing a bad pass, missing freethrows or air balling a jump hook.

this guy needs to know his role, and the funny thing is he should be the 3rd and 4th option, and why complain? you're going to learn from 3 great veterans and possibly take over the best franchise in the NBA.

pau is the initiator in the post, AND THAT WAS MY BELIEF WHEN WE GOT HIM, NEVER THAT I THOUGHT THAT WE WERE GOING TO GO DWIGHT SO MUCH IN THE POST.

and its MOSTLY because HES NOT SIGNING THE CONTRACT, neither mike or dantoni have the juice to discipline him or bench him, because if he dips because hes unhappy, they lose their jobs as well.

i believe only PHIL would of been able to control dwight, given his reputation and his accomplishments.

with that said dwight is a cancer to this team, its insane how the offense just stops with him when he tries to get post position.

really, i never wanted to let go of bynum, and he might not gotten injured when if he had stayed on the lakers and not went bowling.

but dont get me wrong even though i liekd bynum (minus the attitude of that last season) i was excited for howard coming.

but i dont think even laker haters saw all this coming.

dude is truly a bitch, and his dad is pretty much an idiot. not sure how  much more he can embarrass his own son

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »
He just can't handle the LA spotlight. LA has always been a place that either accepts you or they see you as a bitch. Eddie Jones/Nick Van Exel, even though they were not the best players in the league, LA respected them because they handled business. Shaq, LA loved him because he was everything LA ever wanted in a star. Same with Magic. Kobe was different, Kobe wasn't a natural Laker in the entertainment area, but he won and LA loves winning more than anything. Then there are people who can't handle the pressure. Kwame Brown, Glenn Rice, Gary Payton, now Dwight Howard. These are players who just aren't cut out to play in LA. I just don't think Howard is made for this. Bynum was limping on half a leg in 2010, getting his leg drained every week. Same with Kobe. LA doesn't care if you are spending weekends at the Playboy mansion, as long as you come to play on game day.

With that said, I'm still glad we made the trade, Bynum was gone after the season anyways.

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »
He just can't handle the LA spotlight. LA has always been a place that either accepts you or they see you as a bitch. Eddie Jones/Nick Van Exel, even though they were not the best players in the league, LA respected them because they handled business. Shaq, LA loved him because he was everything LA ever wanted in a star. Same with Magic. Kobe was different, Kobe wasn't a natural Laker in the entertainment area, but he won and LA loves winning more than anything. Then there are people who can't handle the pressure. Kwame Brown, Glenn Rice, Gary Payton, now Dwight Howard. These are players who just aren't cut out to play in LA. I just don't think Howard is made for this. Bynum was limping on half a leg in 2010, getting his leg drained every week. Same with Kobe. LA doesn't care if you are spending weekends at the Playboy mansion, as long as you come to play on game day.

With that said, I'm still glad we made the trade, Bynum was gone after the season anyways.

glen rice helped us win a championship....never mention him in the same breath as dwight again. bynum was a warrior. he fought through a ton of injuries and sacrificed to help us win rings, and actually played with a chip on his shoulder...something i havent seen from dwight as of today. 

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »

more than kevin love and dwight,

i much rather see kevin love and pau, or josh smith and pau.

much better combo, with dwight and smith, my god that'll be horrible low offensive basketball IQ, josh smith is a good passer but pau and smith? that would be much better ball facilitating . not sure dwight and love can co-exist either, considering how bad dwights been complaingin about his touches/airball jumphooks/strips/missed freethrows

the thing is i never liked dwight, i dont like players that have no feel for the game. especially on offense. and his offensive capability is just ridiculously pathetic.

but i loved him because hes a laker, before all this bitching and wanting to play in the post.

im pretty damn sure its because everybody including shaq kept saying he has no post game. this guy is an idiot. i knew we should of stayed away from him with his orlando drama.

mitch needs to wave his magic wand again.

pau was pouting, but goddamn atleast he gave it all he got

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:58:35 PM »
Pau for Love. Not sure if the T'Wolves will do it, but the MN fans here are starting to HATE Love. Which is weird because last year you'd think Love was the next coming of Larry Bird.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »
Pau for Love. Not sure if the T'Wolves will do it, but the MN fans here are starting to HATE Love. Which is weird because last year you'd think Love was the next coming of Larry Bird.

LOL. That's some optimistic thinking.