Author Topic: A Clockwork Orange remake (trailer)  (Read 208 times)

Iron_Man

• 'G'
A Clockwork Orange remake (trailer)
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »

Original 1971 poster

It would seem that Florian Frerichs‘ Alex is something of a tribute to Stanley Kubrick‘s film of A Clockwork Orange, a follow up that’s not really a sequel. Here’s the official blurb, with thanks to Quiet Earth for the heads up:

"In the near future the society of a megalopolis is divided into two fractions: on one side a super-rich minority, led by the ruthless dictator Lucius (Werner Daehn), living a life of debauchery and decadence. On the other side the vast majority, dwelling in different degrees of nearly unbearable poverty.

When the young Frederick (Nikolai Kinski) comes in possession of the partial copy of a long forbidden Stanley Kubrick movie, it sparks a growing movement amongst the city’s formerly aimless youths, developing fast into serious opposition to the ruling system, which retaliates with rapidly increasing brutality. Frederick becomes Alex, his friends the new droogs. But are they even aware of the consequences of their actions?

Nikolai Kinski is the son of Klaus Kinski. I’m sure that alone was enough to get him an audition at least.

I think it’s interesting to note that the character of Frederick only gets a hold of a “partial copy” of the film. On the one hand, this might suggest that his interpretation is based on only seeing a section of the film, which could lead to an implication that the ‘part film’ transforms Frederick – a psychologically flimsy position. I do hope there’s not a sequence where he’s ‘cured’ by being show the remainder…"

But do note that Kubrick based his film on only the incomplete US version of Anthony Burgess’ novel, missing the redemptive final chapter that the director later called “inconsistent” and “unconvincing.” This might have something more to do with it.

Will_B

Re: A Clockwork Orange remake (trailer)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:42:22 AM »
Original is one of my all time favourites

This looks ok ish

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: A Clockwork Orange remake (trailer)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »
The original is a top 25 film.  Id like to see how they can do it better:)