Author Topic: so quik always says he produced whitney and janet...  (Read 2225 times)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
Re: so quik always says he produced whitney and janet...
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »
matty got whatever you need when it comes to this hip hop nostalgia shit boy, game on LOCK.

Sccit

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »
i remember watching that shit ist was funny

and props to bouli for breaking shit down...you cant really say shit else. (even though im sure some windbag will come thru and try lol "NO dre is a magical artist and he can blah blah...."

thread killa.

YEA, BUT WHAT BOULI SAID SUPPORTS THE FACT THAT DRE IS THE PRIMARY PRODUCER ON HIS TRACKS, WHICH GOES AGAINST WHAT U WERE ORIGINALLY CLAIMING.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
i remember watching that shit ist was funny

and props to bouli for breaking shit down...you cant really say shit else. (even though im sure some windbag will come thru and try lol "NO dre is a magical artist and he can blah blah...."

thread killa.

YEA, BUT WHAT BOULI SAID SUPPORTS THE FACT THAT DRE IS THE PRIMARY PRODUCER ON HIS TRACKS, WHICH GOES AGAINST WHAT U WERE ORIGINALLY CLAIMING.

NO DOGG, I DIDNT...I JUST STATED THERES SOME FUCKED UP PAPERWORK OUT THERE WITH DRES NAME ON IT. WHO KNOWS MAYBE ITS ITS SUGE AND JIMMY? WHO WOULD YOU RATHER SEE PRODUCE SNOOPS FIRST SINGLES EMMANUEL DEAN OR DR. DRE AT THE PEAK OF HIS CAREER? ITS BUSINESS BEFORE ART IN THIS INDUSTRY. I HOLD A GREAT DEAL OF RESPECT FOR DRE MAYBE NOT AS MUCH AS YALL BUT I THINK HES THE DEFINITIVE POP PRODUCER OF OUR GENERATION. BEHIND EVERY SUCCESS STORY YOU WILL FIND A TRAIL OF PPLS BROKEN DREAMS SOMEONE STEPPED ON TO GET THERE. /capslock off

Jimmy H.

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
Except that Emmanuel Dean didn't claim he produced any songs on Doggystyle. In the interview from "DPG Eulogy", he's not accusing Dre of taking credit for his work. He's basically saying he was a musician who played the instruments on the track and Death Row never gave him his credit on the publishing. His beef with Dre is that he stood back and let his own people get fucked out of the deal. We can argue about the shady politics that go on there all day but that's another conversation. The discussion was about Dre not producing and taking all the credit.

NewYork Pope

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:57 PM »
and i don't doubt it, but what exactly did he do for them? i'm sure it must be some ghost production or something, cause as far as i can gather he mixed a record for whitney (fine) which is prod. raphael saadiq? maybe produced more by quik in reality, or both of them. janet though, there's a remix of 'all for you' and that's it? just a remix for a single, no new vocals. not something you'd normally be in the studio for. i always thought 'go deep' sounded like a heavily quik influenced track, but there must be something else he did.

anyone got any credits or insight into this?

why are you digging deep? if quik says he produced it then so be it. did you know quik produced In Da Club and mixed by Dre. who got all the credit?

You a lie. Quick said out of his mouth he provided the drums sounds only. that's not producing the song. Mike Elizondo is also credited on the song. SMH.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 11:54:43 PM »
so then daz has NEVER been a producer correct?

Jimmy H.

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
What's the implication with the Daz question?  That he just makes beats?

Sccit

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »
daz produced.. soopafly, mike dean, etc were the ones providing what mel-man, storch, etc. were providing for dre.

makaveliapostle

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2013, 09:15:48 AM »
and i don't doubt it, but what exactly did he do for them? i'm sure it must be some ghost production or something, cause as far as i can gather he mixed a record for whitney (fine) which is prod. raphael saadiq? maybe produced more by quik in reality, or both of them. janet though, there's a remix of 'all for you' and that's it? just a remix for a single, no new vocals. not something you'd normally be in the studio for. i always thought 'go deep' sounded like a heavily quik influenced track, but there must be something else he did.

anyone got any credits or insight into this?

well, i think you sort of captured the extent of his work with them in your own question.  it seems tip and sadeeq produced "fine" for whitney and you said quik mixed it.  it also apparently features the south central chamber orchestra.  i could see quik helping with the arrangement and engineering of the orchestra considering he has performed live with string sections.  it's also woth noting that this song was featured on arista records.  it's probably no coincidence that quik's long time label perhaps recruited him for some work on the record.  the overall production has somewhat of a quik feel to it, in comparison to the remixes he did around this time for other artists. 

and in regrards to janet, it does seem that the remix for "all for you" is just that - a remix.  so, in a way he worked with these artists, whether directly in the studio or whether he was just requested by whitney and janet to do some work without them physically being there - we probably won't know.  but either way, he did "work" with both these artists in some fashion.

and as for the old quik forum....i remember it, but didn't really find out about it until after it kind of tapered off.  i think i found the forum when i found an episode of "weakest link" with a bunch of rappers on there.  it was fucking hilarious.  quik said something like "the 1980s called and want their hairstyle back" to the host and nate dogg replied to host's question "why are you hands in you pockets" with, "because i'm trying not to steal anything."  shit was classic.  i used to have a poor quality video of it on my old computer but can't find it.  anybody have this???!!!

well thanks for the reply. i thought as much, but you never know when somebody with inside knowledge is gonna pop up and enlighten us with info on quik's many ghost productions.

as for the weakest link episode, enjoy 8) http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/64448953/file.html

no doubt matty.  that's just my two cents.  you're right, you never know the gems some members might be able to drop until you ask.  and you know, as articulate and open as quik usually is in interviews, the one's where he's been asked about his work with whitney and janet,the interviewer usually just states his production credits with them and quik really hasn't discussed the extent of his work with them in great detail.  he just says they are some of his favorite artists, was a pleasure working with them, etc.  and thanks for the weakest link dowload!!!  i'll watch this shit when i get home!!!!

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »
daz produced.. soopafly, mike dean, etc were the ones providing what mel-man, storch, etc. were providing for dre.

motherfucker please daz couldnt mix a record if his life depended on it.

at one point he was tracking his drumbeats using a microphone w a table because he couldnt work the drum machine.

Sccit

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »

motherfucker please daz couldnt mix a record if his life depended on it.

at one point he was tracking his drumbeats using a microphone w a table because he couldnt work the drum machine.

lol u still missin the point, tho. a producer doesnt need to mix anything. it's all in the ear.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 12:28:01 AM »
lol