Author Topic: 2Pac Didn't Liked Deathrow in 93-94 & Scrapped An Album Because Of Deathrow?  (Read 1506 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
pac knew death row was a bad place to be earlier on due to him bein' an artist on interscope so you know he was aware of the drama goin' on over there. I've read shit like jimmy iovine basically beggin' pac to sign to death row in '93 because he was too much to handle and he would refuse repeatedly. the only reason he did sign wit death row is because nobody wanted to bail him out of jail the rest is history.....

Interesting.. you know for as much as Jimmy loves to brag about all the great artists he's been associated with I've really never heard any Pac/Jimmy stories.  Seems to me Pac was probably workin with other execs at the label and didn't have much dealings with Jimmy.

Also, another irony is that Dre and Pac and Suge were all still label mates even when they were beefing.  They were still all under Interscope... so I wonder how the Death Row/Dre beef was playing out with the Interscope execs.  These are some stories I've never heard told.

I've heard those rumors too. Don't know if they are real or not. Just an interesting time in music.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah, back in 1994 on MTV, Dre was talking about 2Pac signing to Death Row and he was even credited on the Above the Rim soundtrack. It seemed like Dre was excited to have him. But 'Pac backed out for some reason, and I think it was more than slang. Might have something to do with movies, or just how Death Row worked different than 'Pac. I some of that slang they are saying Death Row stole, Snoop and them were using on the Chronic in 1992, so I'm thinking 'Pac backing out originally was more to it, he might have had his reasons beyond all of that.
pac knew death row was a bad place to be earlier on due to him bein' an artist on interscope so you know he was aware of the drama goin' on over there. I've read shit like jimmy iovine basically beggin' pac to sign to death row in '93 because he was too much to handle and he would refuse repeatedly. the only reason he did sign wit death row is because nobody wanted to bail him out of jail the rest is history.....

Pretty sad really imo.  CM i agree with you that jimmy probably had to talk him into it and he pulled the trigger cause suge was willing to bail him out.  If i loved 2pac like some of these dudes on here, i'd be instantly disappointed knowing that this guy who is so respected for speaking his mind and following his own path literally had to sacrifice his morals for his freedom on some slave status.  You guys can call me a troll but thats real talk and if you read objectively you'd see it.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah, back in 1994 on MTV, Dre was talking about 2Pac signing to Death Row and he was even credited on the Above the Rim soundtrack. It seemed like Dre was excited to have him. But 'Pac backed out for some reason, and I think it was more than slang. Might have something to do with movies, or just how Death Row worked different than 'Pac. I some of that slang they are saying Death Row stole, Snoop and them were using on the Chronic in 1992, so I'm thinking 'Pac backing out originally was more to it, he might have had his reasons beyond all of that.

Pretty sad really imo.  CM i agree with you that jimmy probably had to talk him into it and he pulled the trigger cause suge was willing to bail him out.  If i loved 2pac like some of these dudes on here, i'd be instantly disappointed knowing that this guy who is so respected for speaking his mind and following his own path literally had to sacrifice his morals for his freedom on some slave status.  You guys can call me a troll but thats real talk and if you read objectively you'd see it.

No, you are right. That's what it was. 'Pac's first 3 albums were AMAZING! I felt like that was the real 'Pac. The 'Pac on All Eyez On Me was a bit different, someone who was wilder, and though I like what I heard, it didn't have the same bit. I think Dre talking in 1993/1994 thought he was getting the true 'Pac, so when 'Pac came to Death Row in '95 like some crazy man, Dre was like this is the last straw. Jimmy wanted to give 'Pac to Death Row because at the time, Interscope was an independent label, BUT Jimmy was trying to make it mainstream. Someone like 'Pac being the real 'Pac was very dangerous to making Interscope a major label. Who knows. Now I'm wondering if Jimmy had 'Pac set up?

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Perfect example of how bad a business man Suge was.  He put loyalty over actual contracts like a street thug and not a smart business-minded dude, and he ended up paying the piper for it in the end.  Proof is in the pudding.

seriously dude, how are old are you?

Your the type of hater that if Suge was straight business you would complain that "he has no loyalty, it's all about the money with him".  And if Suge shows love and loyalty for an artist then you say, "Suge's a bad businessman he puts loyalty before business". 

Then if Suge was like some kind of fake, phony gettin rich off gangsta rap you would be like, "Suge is a bitch.  He's not about that life and he's just exploiting gang culture to make money while he lives a totally different life."   But if Suge represents the lifestyle projected in the music and by the artists then you say, "Suge is too caught up in trying to be a gangsta when it's just entertainment, he's a bad businessman".   
you hit the nail on the head !

So now youre pulling hypotheticals out your asses to find a reason to disagree with me to defend a man youve had dreams about because you love 1996 so much?  Wait, should I be asking you how old you are Brian and also the Parrot how old he is?  I just speak the truth.  The guy was a very inept businessman in a lotta ways, and paying somebody for work they didnt do why letting other artists starve is a terrible look.  Its called honoring your word.  It doesnt surprise me that you 2 dont get that.

Hey Brian, would you have liked to not be payed for work YOU actually did while someone else took the cash in your place?  I wont hold my breath on you answering that, because anytime you get proven wrong on here you play the 5 D's of Dodgeball and avoid at all costs. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:17:03 AM by Russell Bell »

Jimmy H.

Also, another irony is that Dre and Pac and Suge were all still label mates even when they were beefing.  They were still all under Interscope... so I wonder how the Death Row/Dre beef was playing out with the Interscope execs.  These are some stories I've never heard told.
But Interscope was a much bigger set-up than something like Death Row.  You could have artists on there that never even communicated with each other.  I think Suge's ultimate error, and again, this is just the opinion of someone who wasn't there, was in not just finding ways to keep all these artists, even the ones who hated each other, working and putting out product. If there was a way for Dre, Pac, and Snoop build their own individual camps/sub-labels at Death Row, they could have basically run music into the year 2000 and beyond. The one comment Suge made publicly was that "It was always going to be a jealousy of Tupac because the artists knew I was going to side with him." Even if Pac's your best artist and the one you are most loyal to on a personal level, that's a comment that, even in hindsight, that seems like a bad look for a CEO to make. But I could be wrong here.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
But Interscope was a much bigger set-up than something like Death Row.  You could have artists on there that never even communicated with each other.  I think Suge's ultimate error, and again, this is just the opinion of someone who wasn't there, was in not just finding ways to keep all these artists, even the ones who hated each other, working and putting out product. If there was a way for Dre, Pac, and Snoop build their own individual camps/sub-labels at Death Row, they could have basically run music into the year 2000 and beyond. The one comment Suge made publicly was that "It was always going to be a jealousy of Tupac because the artists knew I was going to side with him." Even if Pac's your best artist and the one you are most loyal to on a personal level, that's a comment that, even in hindsight, that seems like a bad look for a CEO to make. But I could be wrong here.

It does, but I think that was what made Suge successful yet also it was his downfall. He ran Death Row Records like it was from the streets, and for a time it made it seem like Death Row would never come down. Even after the downfall, when I was in high school, people all thought Death Row was too invincible to ever really be down. But the reality is, maybe Suge should have kept two divisions of Death Row. One with Dre and the Dogg Pound, and others that made the Chronic. I think not signing Warren G was a bad idea, though it was said Dre wanted Warren to make it on his own. Still, the original Death Row Inmates could have done well. On top of that, you put the Suge projects to another subset, maybe ask Dre to give them a song or two as singles, and get young hungry producers. I think 'Pac would have worked with both. But Suge trying to add to what was already working seem to be a bad idea, in retrospect.

DeeezNuuuts83

In hindsight, it would've been a big mess for Dre and Snoop, assuming everything else happened the way it did.  If Dre got his own label that he ran but was a subsidiary of Death Row with loose affiliation (i.e. sharing mixers, engineers and some guest appearances here and there) and Snoop and them started Doggystyle or Dogg Pound Records or whatever, then they all would've been in some serious trouble if tied to them contractually when the shit hit the fan when Suge went to prison and then the lawsuits started coming in, along with the IRS.

That being said, it would've been a good compromise to have let Dre do his own thing and run a separate label that had Death Row as a parent company, while Death Row was doing all the street shit and banging while Dre was experimenting with music or whatever.  That way, they could've at least kept him as a producer in some way while letting him be in an environment that might have allowed him to still be creative musically, whether or not he was really doing questionable shit in the comfort of his own home, which would not really be affiliated with Death Row.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
death row could have continued to be bigger if suge had of kept the street shit out of the business and been fair to his artists. he really didn't give a fuck about any of the death row artists they were all a payday to him if you look at the circumstances.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
death row could have continued to be bigger if suge had of kept the street shit out of the business and been fair to his artists. he really didn't give a fuck about any of the death row artists they were all a payday to him if you look at the circumstances.

Do you even read posts, or just look at the names to see if its someone whos made fun of you?  Thats exactly what I said, pretty much.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Do you even read posts, or just look at the names to see if its someone whos made fun of you?  Thats exactly what I said, pretty much.
that's not exactly what you said fool. my statement had nothin' to do wit him placin' his loyalty to the streets over his artists or him bein' a bad businessman it was about him bein' fair and leavin' the street shit in the streets. he wasn't a bad businessman because death row sold millions of records and was worth 125 million in 4 years he just implemented his own rules to the business and fucked off his artists in the process.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!

that's not exactly what you said fool. my statement had nothin' to do wit him placin' his loyalty to the streets over his artists or him bein' a bad businessman it was about him bein' fair and leavin' the street shit in the streets. he wasn't a bad businessman because death row sold millions of records and was worth 125 million in 4 years he just implemented his own rules to the business and fucked off his artists in the process.

that is what i said. 

reading is important.

i try to read everyday.

keeps your mind sharp n all that.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!

that is what i said. 

reading is important.

i try to read everyday.

keep readin' it's more beneficial for you than trollin'.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!

that is what i said. 

reading is important.

i try to read everyday.

well some of us need it more than others

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!

that is what i said. 

reading is important.

i try to read everyday.

yup.

TidyKris

that is what i said. 

reading is important.

i try to read everyday.

yup.

Why do some of you always have to argue about stupid petty shit all the time on posts?
Cant you just come on here and discuss the topics your interested in without having to take up nearly a full page arguing about
"you said the same thing that i just said" and things like that? If you like to argue and fight then go out to a bar a do it with a real human being....although i doubt
you keyboard warriors would do that!!

Chill out guys  8)