Author Topic: One big question about Death Row thats never been answered....  (Read 1245 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: One big question about Death Row thats never been answered....
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »
Then why was death row still able to release remixes of dres production on greatest hits and other albums, and death row uncut they had most of his videos on there.   I mean I think you are right for the most part because I've heard that before.

I would think if Dre really owned all his work from the row he would of been able to say, "you can't put my songs on an album/video in which you are also dissin me"
Because Death Row owned the rights to that music but Dre still had his publishing. That's why he was suing them over back royalties in the early 2000's and the same lawsuits that happened with Wideawake. He didn't have a say about where it was featured but he was getting points on it.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »
Hate on Suge all you want but Suge made sure shit got done. If he wasn't around Death Row would've only released an album every few years like Aftermath does. Lmao @ Suge ran Death Row into the ground. More like saved it from sinking by pulling in 2Pac. Dre had NOTHING to do with that move.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

V2DHeart

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 02:59:25 AM »
People who say Suge ran it into the ground lap up the media hype. Suge done his best to (as said above) get shyt done, the NON corporate way and to establish a black owned label. Think: Death Row east. 2Pac says on camera about their plans, and how they will bring a new government that will feed every person in New York. The establishment went against them, especially when an activist like 2Pac got on board. They had politicians and everyone against the label because they didn't bend over like others do in the corporate world and they hated that. Dre bounced and voluntarily bended over when Jimmy offered him a good deal when Suge couldn't be bought off, but Death Row (Suge & Co.) stayed put and faced the fire.

They did damn well IMO
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

me1

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 05:01:15 AM »
For whatever it's worth, Aftermath has moved 75MM units domestically, not sure how many in foreign markets, since inception. In that time DR has moved maybe 20. Half was Pac's greatest hits, the rest was other Pac releases.

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 07:55:23 AM »
after that they tried to pass Just Doggin's remix for a Dre remix but Dre wasn't even involved in that.

"Just  Doggin" was an arranged version of "Mobbin Wit Tha Dogg Pound" recorded in 1993 but first released in 1996 in Sunset Park OST (courtesy of Death Row). The remix was made by Cold 187Um but Tha Row promoted it as a Dr Dre production remixed by Cold 187Um but (actually) surely produced by Dat Nigga Daz (credited as producer in Sunset Park soundtrack)

"You can't put a price on a peaceful state of mind" - Dr Dre ;)

Dr Dre was labeled as the co-owner of the label. He only [rumor] had $60 million from the split with Suge Knight & David Kenner. But, he also got the exclusive rights over his unreleased masters. That's why Death Row never released any Dr Dre unreleased tracks or vocals like the remixes made by Damon Thomas (Die MF Die...) for Chronic 2000 compilation, they only used OG To BG instrumental for the released remix version (labeled as Daz production). He also won against WIDEawake Death Row for the special edition of The Chronic released by the label in 2009. In 1996, Suge Knight won publishing royalties over Aftermath compilation with "Been There Done That".
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:16:53 AM by donfathaimmortal »
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »
Because Death Row owned the rights to that music but Dre still had his publishing. That's why he was suing them over back royalties in the early 2000's and the same lawsuits that happened with Wideawake. He didn't have a say about where it was featured but he was getting points on it.

good point.. that makes sense
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
Hate on Suge all you want but Suge made sure shit got done. If he wasn't around Death Row would've only released an album every few years like Aftermath does. Lmao @ Suge ran Death Row into the ground. More like saved it from sinking by pulling in 2Pac. Dre had NOTHING to do with that move.

I love Suge.  And he played as big of a role as anyone at making Death Row great.  He certainly didn't run Death Row into the ground.  The label crumbled because he was away in prison, and I also believe the industry starting blackballing him at some point while he was in prison.

You make a good point, but keep in mind that Death Row didn't really release albums that often either.  I mean, it was mostly around 1 or 2 albums a year.   Snoop even commented in the Source that Death Row used to preach to their artists not to "overexpose" themselves, which I wish artists today would take heed to.  Because nowadays artists are everywhere selling themselves out so that it's not even a big deal to hear that a new song is coming out by an artist.   Back in the day it was big a deal anytime anyone at Death Row did an interview, a show, a song, or anything.  Because they never overexposed themselves and always kept the fans wanting more.  It also created a superhero type of myth surrounding the artists because we only saw them at their best and didn't ever see them doing wack shit.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

One2free

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 02:03:30 AM »
People who say Suge ran it into the ground lap up the media hype. Suge done his best to (as said above) get shyt done, the NON corporate way and to establish a black owned label. Think: Death Row east. 2Pac says on camera about their plans, and how they will bring a new government that will feed every person in New York. The establishment went against them, especially when an activist like 2Pac got on board. They had politicians and everyone against the label because they didn't bend over like others do in the corporate world and they hated that. Dre bounced and voluntarily bended over when Jimmy offered him a good deal when Suge couldn't be bought off, but Death Row (Suge & Co.) stayed put and faced the fire.

They did damn well IMO

Real talk IMO.
ppl who talk about Dre, like being the almighty god, they just seem to forgot that he's just like Iovine's slave (seems he chose to). Looking from an artistic & financially view, he sure did well, but his business moves were just like bending in front of some executive to, well "have the pass".

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
Then why was death row still able to release remixes of dres production on greatest hits and other albums, and death row uncut they had most of his videos on there.   I mean I think you are right for the most part because I've heard that before.

I would think if Dre really owned all his work from the row he would of been able to say, "you can't put my songs on an album/video in which you are also dissin me"
Remember, owning your publishing doesn't necessarily mean that you own the music.  You just get money off of it from the use of the music, like someone else said, contrasting to some people who give up their publishing and don't make the back-end money and just keep some lump sum from the beginning or album sales.

For whatever it's worth, Aftermath has moved 75MM units domestically, not sure how many in foreign markets, since inception. In that time DR has moved maybe 20. Half was Pac's greatest hits, the rest was other Pac releases.
But Death Row was really only doing their thing from 1992-1997, until Suge went to prison.  Yes, they still existed and were putting out albums, but it's not quite the same when your executive producer is behind bars when he can't actively recruit talent or oversee releases.  Think about it, Death Row promotion at that time (aside from the Pac albums co-released with Amaru) was non-existent.  That can't compare to the 17 years Aftermath has had not only with their executive producer always involved but with the support of Jimmy Iovine.

calilove213

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »

That's his not trey the truth!! What a lot of u youngstaz foil to reallise is that in nineteen nighty 1 when docDre and suge first clobbed with themother that deathrow wasn't moveing unitz like roothless!! It waznt untol Snoop D O double G stooped in and brought death row from the ground up to the sky!!! If its not for snoop then that labor wouldof been nothing but fat slobs ranning around because thatz what suge was just a fat slob!! Good overseer of a major compeny yez but a record produser like snoop hell no!! Remember the truth always comes out and u herd it from this og first!  Ive been in tha game for many years takeing notes and readin on this west coast shit so best belieeeve me I know what I'm argouing!! Peace~ ;)

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »

That's his not trey the truth!! What a lot of u youngstaz foil to reallise is that in nineteen nighty 1 when docDre and suge first clobbed with themother that deathrow wasn't moveing unitz like roothless!! It waznt untol Snoop D O double G stooped in and brought death row from the ground up to the sky!!! If its not for snoop then that labor wouldof been nothing but fat slobs ranning around because thatz what suge was just a fat slob!! Good overseer of a major compeny yez but a record produser like snoop hell no!! Remember the truth always comes out and u herd it from this og first!  Ive been in tha game for many years takeing notes and readin on this west coast shit so best belieeeve me I know what I'm argouing!! Peace~ ;)

you eurowiggers that infest this site crack me up   

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 01:23:30 AM »
2pac is dead because of Suge not handling his business right, ie allowing and endorsing his biggest asset to become a gang banger at 24 years old, I think it's safe to say he helped run it into the ground.

He also was a fucking idiot for kicking a guy in the lobby of te biggest vegas hotel at the time when he had priors, like there wasn't gonna be cameras rolling. He was irresponsible and ignorant and that's almost the entire reason Death Row crumbled.

Sccit

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »
he was partly responsible for the crumble, but he was also partly responsible for the rise