Author Topic: The Royals are actually in contention!! Less than 3 games back!!  (Read 378 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
The Royals are actually in contention!! Less than 3 games back!!
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
I don't know how.  Twice this year they have had complete blow ups.  I think one time the went like 30 games where they only won 5 of them.   I really can't believe they are this close, but the Tampa Bay Rays have sort of imploded, and somehow the Royals have managed to creep up to 2 and half games out!

Obviously the emergence of Eric Hosmer has had a lot to do with it.  He's been arguably one of the top 5 players in the league since June.  Moose has steadied.  And Duffy came back from Tommy John to give us a boost.  Ohhh.. and we picked up this guy Banafacio, who basically nobody wanted and he's filled a huge hole we had at second base, that was a gift.  He's got a lot of speed and his bat suddenly started to heat up when we picked him up.  Our team is rock solid now.  I challenge anybody to look at any of our starters, any position, pitching, defense and offense and find even ONE HOLE!  After picking up Banafacio our team has no weakness at any position!

I seriously did have a dream the Royals made the one game playoff.  I wish I would of posted it here at the time, because nobody will believe me now, but I had the dream before the season.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:29:39 PM by Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Hack Wilson - real

Re: The Royals are actually in contention!! Less than 3 games back!!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »
your shortstop has a .235 batting average and hits for zero power

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
you guys got a great pitching staff and bullpen though

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:29:37 PM »

Your shortstop is not expected to be a good hitter or a power hitter.  The job of a shortstop first and foremost is to hold down the defense, and Escobar is an excellent defensive shortstop.  Anytime they hit, it's a plus.  Escobar nearly hit .300 last season, and this season he's around .240.  That's certainly not a hole.

Remedy360

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »

Your shortstop is not expected to be a good hitter or a power hitter.  The job of a shortstop first and foremost is to hold down the defense, and Escobar is an excellent defensive shortstop.  Anytime they hit, it's a plus.  Escobar nearly hit .300 last season, and this season he's around .240.  That's certainly not a hole.

Lol yeah that was a pretty weak argument Hack. Of course it's good to have an above-average hitting shortstop but it's not like they're generally one of your better players.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:58:47 PM »

Lol yeah that was a pretty weak argument Hack. Of course it's good to have an above-average hitting shortstop but it's not like they're generally one of your better players.

Exactly. You know, earlier this yea the Royals had a lot of holes.  Wade Davis and Luis Mendoza were kind of shaky in the starting rotation.   Jeff Francour was a joke in right field.  Chris Getz was never any good to begin with at second base.  And Hosmer and Moose both looked like busts.

Now we have no holes.  Davis and Mendoza have been replaced with Chen and Duffy.  Franceour has been replaced with the speedy Jarrod Dyson.  Banafacio has emerged as the solution at second base.  Moose broke out of his slump, and Hosmer is playing like an MVP.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:36:55 PM »
Sorry infinite.  I'm just used to having Jeter hitting .312 with a good 15 homers and 20 SB a year  8)

Remedy360

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »
As far as the Royals go, good for them. They've been in the cellar even longer than my M's so I'm definitely pulling for them. Great underdog story.

MistaNova

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »

Didn't the Mariners used to have a gold glove caliber shortstop who hit 40 HRs and 100 RBIs on a near yearly basis?

Anyway I stuck a fork into the Royals a week or so ago, and it's still there. Better luck next year.

Remedy360

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:45:15 PM »

Didn't the Mariners used to have a gold glove caliber shortstop who hit 40 HRs and 100 RBIs on a near yearly basis?

Lol, as I said, it's obviously great to have a big-time shortstop. But SS is not a prototypical position in terms of noteworthy offensive production. The fact that someone would solely bring up a shortstops batting average to discredit a team is pretty silly.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:47:32 PM by Remedy360 »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »

Lol, as I said, it's obviously great to have a big-time shortstop. But SS is not a prototypical position in terms of noteworthy offensive production. The fact that someone would solely bring up a shortstops batting average to discredit a team is pretty silly.

I was discrediting him daring someone to find a weak spot on that team

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 07:04:02 PM »
It doesn't matter if our shortstop is hitting .238 right now, when he makes game winning plays on defense like he did tonight!  1-0 gets fat ass at the plate!  He also had two dazzling plays in the 7th!

Our manager is getting smart and sees that the end is near and that we have the most dominant bullpen in the league.  He pulled Earvin after like 70 pitches and went to the pen who continued to lock down the shutout.  Can't fuck wit da Royals niccaz!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:10:44 PM by Infinite »

MistaNova

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 09:00:30 PM »
The shit that fair weather fans say ::).

The Royals chances of passing four teams to get to the second WC is slim-to-none. Especially when you consider that:
*Cleveland has an easy schedule where their only "threat" is a series again the Royals, everything else is against the White Sox, Astros and Twins
*The Yankees are still in it and refuse to die despite the fact that their players are still getting injured
*The Rays, despite having a tough start to September, are still a deadly threat with a combination of good pitching and surprisingly good offense featuring the only hitter the Royals drafted that's actually good
*The Orioles are just as alive and deadly as anyone else