Author Topic: Left Eye = GOAT of female rappers?  (Read 300 times)

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Left Eye = GOAT of female rappers?
« on: October 27, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »
Just got done watching that TLC VH1 movie. After watching I couldn't help going back and watching old TLC videos and in particular, Left Eye. She really stood out to me as way ahead of her time when it came to lyrics and flow. I never felt she got her due respect as one of the best females to ever do it, I think she gets forgotten about because she was part of a pop r&b group. But her bars were topping any female I could think of at the time - and I can't help but notice Nicki Minaj bites Left Eye quite a bit: her swag, her flow, her agressive style on the mic, her little kid voice at times.

This girl was really something else when it comes to her talents in hip hop, and cotdamn she was fine. But I never really feels she gets those props. Anyone else think she's up there with the greats?

Hack Wilson - real

Re: Left Eye = GOAT of female rappers?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »
i'll take Lady of Rage

Asani Waye

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 06:38:37 PM »
Lauren Hill

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
Lady of Rage was one dimensional - spit raw but never had much to say other than how hard she was in her raps.

Lauren Hill, yes she's up there.

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:26:46 PM »
LADY OF RAGE WAS AS ONE DIMENSIONAL AS RAKIM

AT THE END OF THE DAY, LADY OF RAGE > LEFT EYE...BUT YEA, LEFT EYE WAS DOPE AND UNDERRATED TOO.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
Left Eye was great, but never got a chance to prove herself. Her Waterfalls verse was amazing, but she just was never given her chance to shine solo. She's like the Q-Tip of females. Well respected, had good skills but never could prove themselves solo.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »
Left Eye was great, but never got a chance to prove herself. Her Waterfalls verse was amazing, but she just was never given her chance to shine solo. She's like the Q-Tip of females. Well respected, had good skills but never could prove themselves solo.

HUH? Q-TIP HAD "AMPLIFIED"

Blood$

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »
Left Eye was dope as fuck and was a cutie... R.I.P.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »

HUH? Q-TIP HAD "AMPLIFIED"

Yeah, you're right. I knew I was reaching when I pressed send, but it was done so I figured, why not wait until someone notices it. I can't think of really any male to compare Left Eye to except maybe Big Boi of Outkast, but even though his solo albums are well known, he had them and they were really good.

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 11:14:15 PM »
No, Lady of Rage is about as one dimensional as someone like Juvenile. Knows how to rap, can make great tracks, but lacking substance aside from being braggadocios and gangsta type shit. Comparing Rage to Rakim is incorrect on many levels.

Left Eye had her chance several times, and every track she was on she stole the snow. Waterfalls is just one example, but she stole the show on Scrubs, Ladies Night, U Know What's Up, and all that old TLC stuff, females weren't spitting like that in 92. But yeah, we never got to hear her solo project.

BabyBird

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 11:40:51 PM »
Id have to say Billy Lawrence Come on song had a similar style

Left eye was better thou

Raphael

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
Bahamadia always gets overlooked. Her debut album is pretty good and all the songs she did with The Roots are fire.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »
I agree and have been saying this for years. Supernova was a lil weird but still had some amazing vintage Left Eye joints (ex: Let Me Live, Head to the Sky, I Believe in Me, A Star is Born).

Shame she died so young.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"