Author Topic: DJ Quik to Sell All Equipment, Will No Longer Engineer or Remix for Artists  (Read 713 times)

woof

Earlier today DJ Quik announced on Twitter that he will be selling all of his production equipment. He also explained that he will no longer be engineering or remixing for any artists going forward.

While there's no direct reason given as to why Quik has made this abrupt decision, it could be in correlation to an event that occurred a few weeks ago. The veteran producer revealed his customized Akai Linn MPC3000 was stolen in Woodland Hills, California. From the tweet below, it looks as though he got the MPC back, but now he's planning on selling it.

DJ Quik has been active since the late-80s, with his 1991 debut Quik Is the Name considered one of the greatest debut hip-hop albums of all time. He's since continued his legacy as one of rap's most prominent figures from California, having worked with 2Pac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and many others during the West Coast's reign in the early to mid-90s.

@djquik
It's official. I'm selling all my equipment. Furthermore, I will not remix or engineer for anyone from this day forward. Thanks true Fans.

@djquik
There is only one truth. This about me selling my drum machine and keyboards , not about my character. Thank u.

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/10/dj-quik-selling-all-equipment-will-no-longer-engineer

TRAX (SFV)

Now if only Dr. Dre would do the same thing, Detox will come out before Armageddon.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

elmizzy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Remember when DJ Quik retired years ago?

GangstaBoogy

No?

That one mustve been lost in the shuffle of retirements from Mase,Too Short, Master P, The Game, Dr. Dre, Jay-Z, and 50 Cent.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

MOBNigga06

Why people saying he retired? He just sold some equipment and said no more remixing or engineering. Dude is still going to produce songs for himself and for others. Album with Kurupt is on the way. Quik ain't retiring, just finished doing certain kinds of work for people.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Jimmy H.

Yeah. "Greatest Hits" was supposed to be his last project.

Matty

well i dunno what to make of that. maybe the equipment had a lot of personal value or he's getting memories of starting out when his stuff was stolen? as others have said, maybe he's just gonna focus on doing full production in studios and not wheeling equipment around as a 'fix it' man from now on. hope it doesn't mean he's gonna be doing less music though.

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

Love Quik but he acts bi-polar as hell, take everything he says with a huge grain of salt.

RxScenester

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • cold chillen
I remember when I was sad hearing he called it quits back in 03 retirement.  Then he came back.  Why not wait around patiently.  He'll come around soon enough.  Dude with a talent like his will miss the craft.  Take a breather Quik.  I'll be waiting to POP some more speakers soon when the time comes.

Okka

Love Quik but he acts bi-polar as hell, take everything he says with a huge grain of salt.

h2k4

Can't even remember the last Quik album I actually liked, let alone the last beat I liked.  Glad he is calling it quits.  Was extremely disappointed when I saw him in concert.  Didn't even attempt to give a good performance.  Just went out sang a few verses and was running around stage like an idiot.

Blood$

damn.

Sccit

dub-h 8)

but yea, he's prolly just sayin that ish

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
quik retired before and cut his hair