Author Topic: John Mayer appreciation thread...  (Read 147 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
John Mayer appreciation thread...
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:00:28 AM »
All these years I've been complaining that there is nobody making music like Phil Collins anymore, this guy has been right up under my nose...

This dude has been around a long time, in fact he is even a few years older than I am.  I first heard him back in the day when I was still hanging out with my friends from high school.  We had not been graduated for long and he had that song about,

"I wanna run thru the halls of the highschool, I wanna go thru the double doors, I just found out there's no such thing as the the real world, just a lie that got to rise above."

I thought at the time that was some profound lyricism, but I didn't really like the overall sound of the song. 

Then next him came with "Wonderland" a year or so later and that song was incredible.  I think everyone loved that song, but I thought it was just a good single.

Next he comes with, "Waiting for the World to Change" and I'm thinking, wow, this guy even has a lot of great social content in his music.  This is like a generational song, politicians were even trying to use it as their campaign theme music.  Obama came with the theme, "Change" and I think his team even try to get some rights to use the song.

Then he just keeps coming with steady stream of great hit songs, "Say" which was soft rock with a great message just like Phil Collins always did.  I had a break-up with a girlfriend and I was bumping "Heartbreak Warfare".

Then he comes with this newer joint with Katy Perry "Who You Love".  It's a great song, and finally it hit me.  This dude is the TRUTH!

...I looked him up some more and saw he had a great song with Taylor Swift, "Half of My Heart", that I totally missed.  He had a relationship and they both wrote great diss tracks back and forth to each other after breaking up, "Dear John", and he responded with "Paper Doll".  It was a beef like 2pac and Biggie trading disses back and forth except they were love songs and nobody got killed!!

Anyway, props to John Mayer.  Turns out one of his biggest influences is... Phil Collins!  8)
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

blcxm

Re: John Mayer appreciation thread...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
TL;DR

Everytime you make a thread John Mayer misses a high five.

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:42:04 AM »
^^lol that was awkward. Btw, your body is a wonderland is definitely one of the worst songs ever written.

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:00:58 PM »
"Vultures" is the only good John Mayer song.

I like his sense of humor though from that thing he did with Kanye.

Remedy360

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »
^ That skit he did on the Chappelle Show was great as well.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »
I liked 'hummingbird' he recorded with B.B. King. Also he's done some good work with B.B., Clapton and others on live shows. Its all on youtube. Of course hes not on their level, but he didnt ruin anything.