Author Topic: Garza to the Brewers.  (Read 172 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Garza to the Brewers.
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:25:02 PM »
4 years, $52 million.

Well, there's still an outside chance Ervin Santana comes to NY. ;D

MistaNova

Re: Garza to the Brewers.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »
Man, Ubaldo and Santana can't be happy that Garza (who didn't have a draft pick compensation fee around his neck, Ubaldo and Santana do) only got 4 years and $52 million.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »
supposedly the deal is still pending, hasn't been finalized yet.

4 years, $52 million.

Well, there's still an outside chance Ervin Santana comes to NY. ;D

I would be surprised if Yanks give up a draft compensation for Santana, but with all the money they just blew away in the offseason, there's no reason for them not to go balls out and try to win now. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and their pitching rotation sucks dick.

Bronson Arroyo doesn't have a draft compensation tied to him though. Dodgers are in talks with him right now but Dodgers are pretty stacked in pitching so someone else might be able to lure him away.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:28:02 PM by Halu Sination »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »
and their pitching rotation sucks dick.

I really think everyone is selling them short.

CC - Had an off year last season, no question. But I can't automatically write him off for this year. Could be a legit ace this year.
Tanaka - Could be a total bust, but $155 million sounds like pretty solid production to me.
Kuroda - Guy had an under 3 ERA up until the second to last week of the season.
Nova - 3.10 ERA last season.
Phelps - He's trash.

Pineda - Huuuuuuuge wild card everyone is forgetting about. His pitching coach in the minors said he loves the progress he's making & can't see him not being beneficial to the Yankees staff. We're talking about a guy who was traded for a highly touted Jesus Montero to come to the Bronx & be the #2 behind CC. It's an "if" no doubt about it, but let's say he works out real nice & skips to the third man in the rotation...what team in baseball has a #5 with a 3.10 ERA, like Nova would become? (Assuming he has similar numbers).

However, with all that said...there's definitely a possibility CC keeps pitching like shit, Tanaka sucks, Kurdoa has an off year, Pineda hurts himself in spring or just doesn't come back the same & Nova is a fluke lol.

MistaNova

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
Bronson Arroyo doesn't have a draft compensation tied to him though. Dodgers are in talks with him right now but Dodgers are pretty stacked in pitching so someone else might be able to lure him away.

Not sure if I'd like seeing Arroyo pitch his home games in Yankee Stadium, that kind of seems like a recipe for disaster.

After looking through a small list of pitchers left on the market the only guys I'd really want to see the Yankees take a shot on are Jason Hammel (whose a little better than Arroyo only his days at Coors really screws up our perception of him), Paul Maholm or James McDonald. At this point the Yankees have already given away their 1st round pick (and the picks they got from the Mets and Mariners) to sign McCann, Ellsbury and McCann so they won't be drafting highly anyway so I guess the Yankees getting Santana isn't too unrealistic.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:33:12 PM »

Not sure if I'd like seeing Arroyo pitch his home games in Yankee Stadium, that kind of seems like a recipe for disaster.

After looking through a small list of pitchers left on the market the only guys I'd really want to see the Yankees take a shot on are Jason Hammel (whose a little better than Arroyo only his days at Coors really screws up our perception of him), Paul Maholm or James McDonald. At this point the Yankees have already given away their 1st round pick (and the picks they got from the Mets and Mariners) to sign McCann, Ellsbury and McCann so they won't be drafting highly anyway so I guess the Yankees getting Santana isn't too unrealistic.

That's what I'm saying... all these industry sources kept saying "Yankees won't exceed the salary cap" and "Yankees won't give up draft picks" and they've already done both. If they signed fucking three players with Qualifying Offers, why not do it for a starting pitcher?

MistaNova

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure they're still keeping in touch with Santana and Ubaldo but the latest report I've heard is that they might be interested in Stephen Drew, another player tied to a draft pick, a bit more. Which kind of makes sense since Jeter sucks defensively and Ryan sucks offensively making Drew the most complete option the Yankees would have (if they signed him) at shortstop. And they can shift both Drew and Ryan along with Johnson around in the infield when Roberts inevitably gets hurt again.

Plus Ubaldo and Santana's prices are still allegedly pretty high so the Yankees (or anybody else that's interested in them) may be waiting until they get really desparate halfway into spring training. Kind of like Kyle Lohse last year.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »
Now the Drew signing is a signing that actually makes half sense. Unlike their signing of two additional outfielders at the cost of the salary cap and draft compensations (although I guess you could make the case for Beltran being some much needed batting power, but still wtf).