Author Topic: Hip hop is white hot  (Read 904 times)

David Gutterman

Re: Hip hop is white hot
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 06:18:49 AM »
White people rapping aint nothing new Joe Strummer recorded a rap "The Magnificent Seven" in April 1980 represents the first attempt by a rock band to write and perform original rap music, and one of the earliest examples of a hip hop records with political and social content. It is the first major white rap record, predating the recording of Blondie's "Rapture" by six months.

The Clash "The Magnificent Seven"

Will_B

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 08:05:28 AM »
White people rapping aint nothing new Joe Strummer recorded a rap "The Magnificent Seven" in April 1980 represents the first attempt by a rock band to write and perform original rap music, and one of the earliest examples of a hip hop records with political and social content. It is the first major white rap record, predating the recording of Blondie's "Rapture" by six months.

The Clash "The Magnificent Seven"

Nice song

iDontTrip

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »
That white bitch aint shit compared to nicki  :-X

White ppl always look goofy af tryna dress "hiphop" now they tryna steal it too smh  >:(
opinion
   [uh-pin-yuhn]
noun
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 07:37:16 PM »
 I'll have to check out nikki. I dont think Ive heard her? i prolly would have without knowing its her i guess, same with when i didn't know i had heard iggy.
 Yeah but i mean why are blacks dressing white now? by that i mean gay skinny jeans and tight clothing and gay colours? looks terrible or all races. I dunno if white people started that shit or not? I know Asian ppl are big on tight clothes and weird hair colours and looking feminine n shit lol...
 So do Asians also look lame trying to dress black?
 Anyways how do you even dress white? lol in the old days white ppl dressed like  this;

And Africans like this;

lol nar in all serious though its funny how fashion changes so much.
 I dont think these days there really is a white or black way to dress like there used to be.
 Got me thinking how here in Australia you do see some Indians and Arabs and Africans dress traditionally yet most dress more ahh "western" i guess. But that's another subject.

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
SMH this would have been a legit article in 2001 but we as a genre and fanbase are so past this shit.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 05:34:38 PM »
The only thing the media is pushing is racial tension.

Dude, be real...Eminem is the only legitimate white artist who has dominated the spotlight & has legit recognition as one of the best rappers to ever do it. That was off skill alone that no one can deny. There is no one else white in Hip Hop worth mentioning in the mainstream game today. Besides Macklemore...but there's nothing really wrong/different from what he's doing that isn't already on the radio from a black artist.

Asher Roth is irrelevant as fuck; he's never even had mainstream buzz. Iggy isn't even worth mentioning; she'll be a one hit wonder when "Fancy" dies out & Mac Miller is literally Wiz Khalifa just white lol. I've yet to hear a Yelawolf song on the radio.

Nobody white is doing anything that is "ruining" Hip Hop. The subject matter pushed by the labels is just a lot weaker & there is a lot more singing because that's what sells. Chris Brown & Trey Songz are RnB singers who are making some hybrid ass music with singing hooks, rap-singing verses & maybe they'll throw a Rick Ross or Lil' Wayne on the song to spice things up. And that's DOMINATING the radio. That's the problem with Hip Hop, it's more singing than rapping, not what you're saying but how catchy it sounds over a beat & completely female oriented/club related.

So other than Iggy (for the next two months) & Macklemore who may not even come correct the second time around, but nothing really wrong with his music, nobody white is actually changing anything in Hip Hop lol.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »
 yeah, here in Australia a few white local rappers have gone reasonably big and gone gold and got radio play an won awards. Well know and respected, sold out shows n that but i dont think any have "dominated" charts.
 Some actually have had longevity but not like massive starts. like the most famous rappers from city just hang like normal people, ive hung out with em lol.
 Iggy, well she is already not just a one hit wonder because she has more than one hit already but yeah i imagine it will just be a fad and that she wont be in the spot light for too long.
 But i hear she doing songs with Rhianna and Katy perry and that so who knows?

I think with white and black rappers its the same. Plenty of dope rappers but the ones that are actually lyrical and make actual hip hop dont/wont chart and are underground as fuck. For the most part. Kendrick and Eminem the exceptions.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 10:14:28 PM »
I think the biggest problem today isn't even so much a white-black thing but that hip-hop as a culture does not even have to factor into the equation for someone to be a "hip-hop artist".  Eminem, like him or hate him, need to be a student of the game and needed to prove himself for years before he could get that credibility and that was with millions of albums sold.  Today, that conversation doesn't even exist. 

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 10:35:35 PM »
 yeah good point. These days anyone can be a rapper. And like you said its not about race or what sort of child hood you had or about lyrical ability its just about being marketable and recyclable.
 like say soulja boy for example.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 11:44:25 PM »
Another factor is the sales are so in the toilet that rappers will fuck with any novelty rapper out there, just to get that money or a little extra shine. When platinum figures were more attainable, the illusion of "artistic integrity" was far more prevalent amongst a lot of artists.  Now?  Forget it. 

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 11:48:54 AM »
Another factor is the sales are so in the toilet that rappers will fuck with any novelty rapper out there, just to get that money or a little extra shine. When platinum figures were more attainable, the illusion of "artistic integrity" was far more prevalent amongst a lot of artists.  Now?  Forget it. 

Absolutely. Well said +1