Author Topic: 2014 MLB Mid-Season Trade Watch  (Read 1124 times)

MistaNova

Re: 2014 MLB Mid-Season Trade Watch
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 11:38:23 PM »
The Angels have acquired Huston Street (and Trevor Gott) from the Padres in exchange for Taylor Lindsey, Jose Rondon, R.J. Alvarez and Elliot Morris.

Wow, the Angels are fucking idiots. They just gave up four of their top twenty prospects (Lindsey was the second best prospect in the system coming into 2014, Rondon was the fifth best, Alvarez was the sixth best and Morris was the 18th best) for a Padres closer. Even if Huston Street is one of the few pitchers who survived pitching his home games in Coors Field, this was a massive overpay and the shitty Angels farm system just got even shittier.
Poor Mike Trout. He's the best player in baseball and yet he won't be getting a ring anytime soon.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 03:48:12 AM »
The Angels have acquired Huston Street (and Trevor Gott) from the Padres in exchange for Taylor Lindsey, Jose Rondon, R.J. Alvarez and Elliot Morris.

Wow, the Angels are fucking idiots. They just gave up four of their top twenty prospects (Lindsey was the second best prospect in the system coming into 2014, Rondon was the fifth best, Alvarez was the sixth best and Morris was the 18th best) for a Padres closer. Even if Huston Street is one of the few pitchers who survived pitching his home games in Coors Field, this was a massive overpay and the shitty Angels farm system just got even shittier.
Poor Mike Trout. He's the best player in baseball and yet he won't be getting a ring anytime soon.

You know what makes Angels even stupider for this? Huston Street let it to be known that HE wanted to go to the Angels, which should have given Angels more leeway, unless Padres have a shitty relationship with Street. And yet Angels still gave up way too much. Granted, it's Huston Street, one of the most lights out closers in all of baseball. But there are tons of reliable relief pitching out there and Padres are about to go on a firesale soon anyways.

It's worth noting though that the Angels' farm system has been getting shitted on for what seems like a millennium now, and yet every year they pull up more and more productive players from the minors such as Richards, Kalhoun, Efren Navarro, CJ Cron, Green, Cowgill, and Shoemaker. I left Trout off that list because unlike the others, he was actually projected to be a God. They're the second best team in baseball, and with a very young homegrown core plus some vets that they stole from Texas with fat ass contracts. I know that if anything, that should give them more incentive to keep Lindsey (ranked #93 on Baseball America, unranked pretty much everywhere else) since they're witnessing firsthand that their "shitty farm system" is pumping out good players, but I don't think they're concerned with their prospects rankings when it comes to who stays and who doesn't. The highest Kalhoun was ever ranked at the end of a minor league season in Angels' system was #11, and now he's their second best player offensively.

That's just a side note though. Ultimately, trading a prospect for relief pitching, no matter how awesome the reliever is, is a no-no. If anything, they could've developed Lindsey a little longer and then traded him for something more valuable than a very good closer. I guess when your bullpen is shitty for that long, you go crazy and end up overpaying.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 07:43:59 AM »
Joe Smith was doing his thing for my fantasy team too. Fuck my life. 

MistaNova

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 08:05:49 AM »
It's worth noting though that the Angels' farm system has been getting shitted on for what seems like a millennium now, and yet every year they pull up more and more productive players from the minors such as Richards, Kalhoun, Efren Navarro, CJ Cron, Green, Cowgill, and Shoemaker. I left Trout off that list because unlike the others, he was actually projected to be a God. They're the second best team in baseball, and with a very young homegrown core plus some vets that they stole from Texas with fat ass contracts. I know that if anything, that should give them more incentive to keep Lindsey (ranked #93 on Baseball America, unranked pretty much everywhere else) since they're witnessing firsthand that their "shitty farm system" is pumping out good players, but I don't think they're concerned with their prospects rankings when it comes to who stays and who doesn't. The highest Kalhoun was ever ranked at the end of a minor league season in Angels' system was #11, and now he's their second best player offensively.

The Angels farm system has produced a good number of major leaguers but the reason that system gets shitted on so often is because it lacks depth.

MistaNova

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »
So the Rangers traded Joakim Soria to the Tigers recently in exchange for Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel. A pretty nice get for Texas considering how both pitching prospects were top 10 prospects in the Detroit Tigers organization.

The price on Joaquin Benoit has just gone up (and from the looks of it it was pretty high to begin with).

Also the Seattle Mariners brought back Kendrys Morales and sent Stephen Pryor to the Twins. Lmao.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »
I lol'd pretty hard when I found out Morales was going back to Seattle after he shitted on Safeco.

I wish Dodgers went after Soria, we have prospects who we don't even give a shit about that are ranked higher than the prospects Detroit gave up for him. I wish our front office was in 2012 desperation mode again, they seem WAY too content with the team right now and they aren't realizing that all the contending teams around them are making moves to improve their teams, while we aren't taking advantage of team's fire sales. I know sometimes the best move is no move at all, but we have very clear problems we need to address on the team. Three of our relief pitchers, most notably Chris Perez, are useless. Dan Haren needs to be replaced and that's not even by choice; he gets a vesting option for next year if he reaches a certain amount of innings, and if you take away his amazing month of April, his numbers make him the worst pitcher in the league. And we also need to part with one of our 8,000 OF's. It's frustrating as hell because these are all guys who produce when they play everyday, but they have to rotate two different OF's every other game. At this point I'd take Edwin Jackson's horrible contract and just throw him in the bullpen if they take one of our OF's plus cash to make the salaries match, though I think Cubs might actually just release Jackson (that's how badly they want to move on from him).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:19:55 PM by Halu Sination »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »
So the Rangers traded Joakim Soria to the Tigers recently in exchange for Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel. A pretty nice get for Texas considering how both pitching prospects were top 10 prospects in the Detroit Tigers organization.

The price on Joaquin Benoit has just gone up (and from the looks of it it was pretty high to begin with).

Also the Seattle Mariners brought back Kendrys Morales and sent Stephen Pryor to the Twins. Lmao.

no the rangers traded joakim noah

MistaNova

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 07:13:14 AM »
I wish Dodgers went after Soria, we have prospects who we don't even give a shit about that are ranked higher than the prospects Detroit gave up for him. I wish our front office was in 2012 desperation mode again, they seem WAY too content with the team right now and they aren't realizing that all the contending teams around them are making moves to improve their teams, while we aren't taking advantage of team's fire sales. I know sometimes the best move is no move at all, but we have very clear problems we need to address on the team. Three of our relief pitchers, most notably Chris Perez, are useless. Dan Haren needs to be replaced and that's not even by choice; he gets a vesting option for next year if he reaches a certain amount of innings, and if you take away his amazing month of April, his numbers make him the worst pitcher in the league. And we also need to part with one of our 8,000 OF's. It's frustrating as hell because these are all guys who produce when they play everyday, but they have to rotate two different OF's every other game. At this point I'd take Edwin Jackson's horrible contract and just throw him in the bullpen if they take one of our OF's plus cash to make the salaries match, though I think Cubs might actually just release Jackson (that's how badly they want to move on from him).

Fine, then we'll give you Brandon McCarthy and David Robertson in exchange for Julio Urias, Yasiel Puig and Andre Ethier. We expect you to pay for $30,855,000 of the $30,856,000 owed to Puig between 2015-2018 and $70,999,000 of the $71,000,000 owed to Ethier between 2015-2018. And all of the bonus incentives and whatnot that we're not privy to, yeah the Dodgers are going to have to pay for those too. Deal?

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »

Fine, then we'll give you Brandon McCarthy and David Robertson in exchange for Julio Urias, Yasiel Puig and Andre Ethier. We expect you to pay for $30,855,000 of the $30,856,000 owed to Puig between 2015-2018 and $70,999,000 of the $71,000,000 owed to Ethier between 2015-2018. And all of the bonus incentives and whatnot that we're not privy to, yeah the Dodgers are going to have to pay for those too. Deal?

Hm... Dodgers don't get nearly enough broken closers back in this deal for their liking. I'd pass.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 02:08:50 AM »
Giants traded two prospect pitchers, including their top prospect Edwin Escobar (ranked #56 Baseball America, #75 MLB.com) and Heath Hembree to Red Sox for Jake Peavy. My coworker who is a Giants fan was fucking heated about this lol. A part of me feels like they could have gotten someone less washed up than Jake Peavy, but along with the signing of Dan Uggla, they've pushed themselves in desperation mode.

I still think they're an underrated team but the lack of depth has shown after a couple of injuries.

MistaNova

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 11:54:44 AM »
To counter the Giants acquiring a second baseman who can't hit, the Dodgers have just acquired a second baseman who can't hit. Dawin Barney (who was DFA'd by the Cubs a while back) has been picked up by the Dodgers. Wow, the NL West sure is exciting.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »
Yankees targeting John Danks lol.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »
To counter the Giants acquiring a second baseman who can't hit, the Dodgers have just acquired a second baseman who can't hit. Dawin Barney (who was DFA'd by the Cubs a while back) has been picked up by the Dodgers. Wow, the NL West sure is exciting.

As opposed to the AL East and the John Danks sweepstakes?

In any case, Giants really should have gone after Barney instead of Uggla to begin with, as one is arguably the best fielder at his position but putting up an awful .230/.265/.328 and the other has godawful defense and putting up an even worse .152/.234/.217 slash line.

I'm pretty sure Dodgers only got Barney to take him off the market since we sure as fuck ain't gonna be playing him over Dee Gordon lol.

MistaNova

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:03 PM »
As opposed to the AL East and the John Danks sweepstakes?

Okay both divisions are equally boring.

You see Barney being up with the big league club or being assigned to the Isotopes? If memory serves they already have a backup at second in Justin Turner don't they?

Also, the Dodgers will be sending a player to be named later and cash considerations to the Cubs for Barney. Some nobody in Chattanooga is probably going to have the misfortune of being sent to Chicago.

MistaNova

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »
So the Royals and Blue Jays made a really boring trade today.

Danny Valencia goes to Toronto while Liam Hendricks and Erik Kratz goes to Kansas City.
Ugh, this trade is so boring it reminds me of the trade Toronto made with Houston that managed to be the one of the most boring 10 player trades in history.

Meanwhile he say she say nonsense is still abuzz.
*Los Angeles is interested in Lackey
*Boston is open to trading both Lester and Lackey
*Philadelphia is open to trading Hamels
*Teams are inquiring about Byrd and Bastardo
*Seattle is interested in trading for Lester
*Houston is open to trading Keuchel, McHugh and even Cosart
*Soriano (Alfonso) has received offers from undisclosed teams