Author Topic: Mayer Hawthorne - Where Does This Door Go (Discussion Thread)  (Read 978 times)

Matty

Re: Mayer Hawthorne - Where Does This Door Go (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »
'smooth dude with the gangsta groove' 8)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D54S_Nio5wI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D54S_Nio5wI</a>

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
First of all, thanks Matty for putting me up on this. Totally slipped under my radar. Well first of all i want to say that Mayer Hawthorne will always have a special place in my music-lovers-heart, because he arguably made the best modern soul album of the last 10 years (A Strange Arrangement).  Even thou i was kinda disappointed with his Sophomore release he bounced back with the Tuxedo project and all the little covers he released over time (his version of I left my heart in San Francisco is only second  to Tonis version).

This LP is jammin, the beats are on point, and going with the "zeitgeist" the music is very funk influenced just like so many other Major Artist the last couple of years (Bruno Mars, Daft Punk, Chromeo, Pharrell etc.) seems like "funky"  tunes are in again, the only difference is that Bruno Mars and Daft Punk took the 80s funk and Boogie as a reference point, whereas Mayer took it back to the late 70s. You can clearly hear the Jazz-Funk influences of that time in this Album (Lafayette Afro Rock Band, Roy Ayers etc.) aswell as some Brazilian stuff from that period like Azymuth, Deodato and so on which is basically the stuff Pharrell is emulating in my opinion. 

All in all great LP, but i want a straight Soul album from Mayer Hawthorne again :):

Young Old Head

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
First of all, thanks Matty for putting me up on this. Totally slipped under my radar. Well first of all i want to say that Mayer Hawthorne will always have a special place in my music-lovers-heart, because he arguably made the best modern soul album of the last 10 years (A Strange Arrangement).  Even thou i was kinda disappointed with his Sophomore release he bounced back with the Tuxedo project and all the little covers he released over time (his version of I left my heart in San Francisco is only second  to Tonis version).

This LP is jammin, the beats are on point, and going with the "zeitgeist" the music is very funk influenced just like so many other Major Artist the last couple of years (Bruno Mars, Daft Punk, Chromeo, Pharrell etc.) seems like "funky"  tunes are in again, the only difference is that Bruno Mars and Daft Punk took the 80s funk and Boogie as a reference point, whereas Mayer took it back to the late 70s. You can clearly hear the Jazz-Funk influences of that time in this Album (Lafayette Afro Rock Band, Roy Ayers etc.) aswell as some Brazilian stuff from that period like Azymuth, Deodato and so on which is basically the stuff Pharrell is emulating in my opinion. 

All in all great LP, but i want a straight Soul album from Mayer Hawthorne again :):

well put. i feel the exact same way
 a strange arrangement blew my mind back then! still to this day, one of the best soul albums i ever heard

Cash Money Blood Gang