Author Topic: Football hooliganism has proven the victory of the bourgeoisie  (Read 118 times)

TheSheriff

The majority of football's traditional fans are from the proletariat; when football hit the big time, they were badly educated, raised in violent conditions, and using club rivalries as a way of exorcising anger.

When it became the biggest sport in Britain, and the proletariat became the class to "be in", all the businessmen, etc, turned up at the matches, and acted just like their poorer brethren.

However, a lot of football violence is blamed on alcohol. Let's take a comparable sport, and disprove this theory.

At rugby matches, there have hardly ever been incidences of crowd violence. Though often the stands are filled with alcohol, the different supporters are not segregated as in football; and yet, somehow, they get along.

Why? Because the roots of rugby are in the middle class, and very few of the all time greats come from lower class families; their standards of behaviour have set a particular level to which their fans and their descendents on the pitch must rise to.

This seems to me to prove, sadly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that class DOES matter...

Anyways, */rant* etc

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re:Football hooliganism has proven the victory of the bourgeoisie
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 12:04:56 PM »
Marx would be rollin in his grave!
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

ILL-Logic-AL

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 01:32:28 PM »
You got something to say about my burberry hat?

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 03:03:11 PM »
^^ lol

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson