Author Topic: smh De La Soul Roll Out Kickstarter Campaign For New Album  (Read 431 times)

doggfather

Re: smh De La Soul Roll Out Kickstarter Campaign For New Album
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 12:12:21 AM »
Kurupt has always been a legend.  didn't hurt when Eminem name dropped him in his top 10 emcees and got all his stans to go check out Kurupt

Yeah on the West coast maybe til 99

But the rest of the world has never heard of him

everybody knows of him from being on both Chronic's and Doggystyle

Well, no.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Matty

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 05:00:09 AM »
personally i think this is a great business model and well suited to artists with a solid reputation and established fan base. i always said artists like quik would profit by going down this route, why spend your own cash if your hardcore fan base will gladly pre-buy it & possible extras. cats like ryan leslie understand that direct funding is the future business model for artists looking to get the maximum % of their proceeds. it also gives them much more freedom to create projects than dealing with labels.

and i don't see how de la are 'washed up', their last album wasn't exactly shit. there seems to be the perception that kickstarter is like charity, but it's not at all, especially if you get funded quickly like in this case. and the creating an original sound library of music to sample from is another smart idea.

CORREA

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »
personally i think this is a great business model and well suited to artists with a solid reputation and established fan base. i always said artists like quik would profit by going down this route, why spend your own cash if your hardcore fan base will gladly pre-buy it & possible extras. cats like ryan leslie understand that direct funding is the future business model for artists looking to get the maximum % of their proceeds. it also gives them much more freedom to create projects than dealing with labels.

and i don't see how de la are 'washed up', their last album wasn't exactly shit. there seems to be the perception that kickstarter is like charity, but it's not at all, especially if you get funded quickly like in this case. and the creating an original sound library of music to sample from is another smart idea.

this is a bad move this makes you look broke as fuck and desperate especially if you some old ass rappers :D

Matty

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 07:13:30 AM »

this is a bad move this makes you look broke as fuck and desperate especially if you some old ass rappers :D

i'm not sure how it's a bad move when they easily hit their funding goal, that's a really bizarre line of thinking. we're talking money from many of the people who would consider purchasing their album, why would what anyone else (ie you) think about it actually matter?

Matty

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
currently

$400,428
pledged of $110,000 goal

in just over a week. trending toward over a million bucks by the end, though it probably won't get quite that high. and not a record label in sight. i wonder how much artists on independent labels actually make off their releases, or even major labels as a percentage...

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
It's a great concept. NO ONE BUYS RECORDS ANYMORE.

They have a very long standing fan base and De La still puts out very quality music.

Good for them for blowing away their goal. Hope they get $1MM, they deserve it.

Remedy360

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 09:17:45 PM »

i'm not sure how it's a bad move when they easily hit their funding goal, that's a really bizarre line of thinking. we're talking money from many of the people who would consider purchasing their album, why would what anyone else (ie you) think about it actually matter?

Were you actually expecting a rational explanation?

Blood$

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 11:12:35 PM »
that's money raised right there... I gotta respect that lol I was never huge on them but I hope they deliver a good album with that money and don't disappoint the people who invested