Author Topic: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)  (Read 50302 times)

bigpimpin20

Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #255 on: August 09, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »
reading thru the thread and god damn thanks god i dont have anything to complain about this project  and can just enjoy the great music  8)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:32:48 AM by bigpimpin20 »

sav

« Reply #256 on: August 09, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
where are the production credits again?

Any production credits?

Bro you got 4416 posts and still haven't found the Vault?

« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
Didn't chronic and 2001 mostly sound different at the time? This sounds very similar to what is out there today. I didn't expect him to try to blend in.

Hip hop back in the day was about the vibe of the song.  Now it's all about studio tricks.

I see the modern vibe of hiphop as very disposable with trends coming, saturating and going leaving very little in the form of classics/timeless tracks in the stash that people will spin fondly in 20 years time as folks now are all about quick capitalization and hot singles.

Kudos to Dre in creating a cohesive product, I can't deny that there is a flow to the album but it doesn't have that gamechanger vibe that his previous efforts did and its more of the play it safe/ride with whats hot now route. To be honest I was expecting lush cinematic sounds with full orchestras over Dres knocking drums as the evolution of the sparse piano beats and whilst there are some decent tracks on here I can't vibe with the rapping style at all.

Didn't even recognize most of the people on there on the third listen around but I am keen to hear the instrumental album as there are are so many elements in the beats and as I said before, 50 will create some dope freestyles/alternate songs over these tracks.

Overall this is between the Aftermath Presents... compilation and the other Dre releases in terms of quality/re-playability.

Sccit

« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
Didn't chronic and 2001 mostly sound different at the time? This sounds very similar to what is out there today. I didn't expect him to try to blend in.

Hip hop back in the day was about the vibe of the song.  Now it's all about studio tricks.

it sounds different to me and much more layered than most stuff comin out

Fresh Bone

« Reply #259 on: August 09, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
only issue is why we gota wait so long for hard copies? i dont fux wit digital, so i gota wait 2 weeks now to cop....shits fucked.

I hear you, my G

TidyKris

« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2015, 01:13:57 PM »
The problem we have is that Dre could fart into a microphone for 16 tracks and most people will say its a classic.
"Compton" is not a bad album...but it is not Dre standard

I am not hating on it though...its cool to have some new Dre tracks out
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:16:55 PM by TidyKris »

dnjp4life

« Reply #261 on: August 09, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »
It's been really interesting reading people's thoughts on the album - seems like a fairly even split between people who are really feeling it and those who are a bit disappointed with the way it's turned out, which was to be expected.  I suppose this being a Dr. Dre album, it is a landmark release not just in rap but music in general, and everyone had their own idea of how it should have sounded and wanted it to sound their own particular way.

Me personally, I haven't even heard a single second of it yet (not even a snippet of a track!) because I'm holding out on getting the CD when it drops, throwing it in my sytem and vibing out to it.  And that to me is the best and only way of enjoying such a significant release.  It just needs to hurry the fuck up and come out.

Let's also hope that over time we get to hear some extra tracks that didn't make the cut as well as all the tracks submitted by producers and MCs for the project, because best believe there are some out there.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #262 on: August 09, 2015, 01:36:39 PM »
Amazing album - i cant listen to nothin else lately, everything else sounds poor

Sonically this is a masterpiece, very energetic album, a lot more complex than what Dre usually did. I was very excited when i heard about it dropping, first impression was that it's too much 'south' sounding, too much kendrick style, but it doesnt come in the way now - i love it! Every next spin makes me like it even more. And this is definietly not what i expected, altho it has everything i would like on it to be. Dre has done it again.

Desert Lord

« Reply #263 on: August 09, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
To be honest: This Album is a huge disappointment. The only track that stand out is "Animals". Dres sound architecture was good for the westcoast. His creativity in the 90s and 2000s was great. But today he is more an obstacle for the younger generation of west coast talents. The sound of this album is not west coast. It is more mainstream and rnb. Where is the melody and harmony of organic instruments? I think this was the signature of a good dre production and the whole west coast. I dont expect classic g-funk sound. I expect this organic dre sound. I missed it.

These line makes me really angry:

...he also has seemingly little patience for anyone who cites economic deprivation or institutional racism as excuses for not being as successful as him.
"Anybody complaining about their circumstances lost me, homey," he announces on "Darkside/Gone." "We ain't even talking/Fuck that energy, fuck up off me." This may be the one Dr. Dre lyric that Fox News pundits could love.

This guy makes a Soundtrack about Compton and tells his audience some neoliberal shit like this. NWA is a product of social and institutional racism in Compton.  ;D ;D

Sorry, it's cool that a lot of cats likes it - no disrespect. But i'm really disappointet about this album and some lines

if that line would be on some neoliberal shit that would be fucked up tho. but i doubt that he meant it that way...i think he meant, that people from the hood shouldn't act like he would be coming from a silverspoon-background and hate on him because of his success - and not some social darwinism...that would also fit in the context of the other lyrics imo

Desert Lord

« Reply #264 on: August 09, 2015, 01:50:18 PM »
somebody above mentioned that this album don't have a chronic-snoop oder 2001-hitman on it...i got to say that this anderson.paak guy grows on me! at first i didn't liked his style, thought he would be just another wayne-youngthug-type-copycat. but after every spin i like him more, defintetly got his own style. let's see what he'll come up with in the future.

JeremyM

« Reply #265 on: August 09, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »
I love this album. Just going to keep it that simple.

I think my favorite part right now is that the guy drowning comes back up on the next song, taking huge, gulping breaths as the guitars hit. With everything going on, somehow I missed that on the first few listens.

I thought Snoop killed it. Snoop has one of the greatest flows of all time and any time he brings that, it's a good day. "One Shot One Kill" is my favorite right now. Loved hearing DJ Premier on an Dre album, both on the production end and even with some vocals.

The Eazy sample about halfway through, perfect.

I liked Cube and Xzibit's parts but seems like some don't.

Weird to hear Dre kind of quasi-remaking a Bone song (not really a remake of course, but definitely hear some similar guitar licks and so forth in the outro to the song and of course he sampled the chorus). It's a shame that Bone gets so little appreciation in the mainstream. Are they even mentioned in the NWA film? Yella produced the original so kind of a backwards way to get a little Yella influence on the album, too.

Sccit

« Reply #266 on: August 09, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
somebody above mentioned that this album don't have a chronic-snoop oder 2001-hitman on it...i got to say that this anderson.paak guy grows on me! at first i didn't liked his style, thought he would be just another wayne-youngthug-type-copycat. but after every spin i like him more, defintetly got his own style. let's see what he'll come up with in the future.

he's definitely no young thug

Desert Lord

« Reply #267 on: August 09, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »

he's definitely no young thug

no definetly not

JeremyM

« Reply #268 on: August 09, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »
You know, there were a couple songs where I thought Nate Dogg would've been perfect for the parts.

Sucks.

PLANT

« Reply #269 on: August 09, 2015, 06:23:48 PM »
So what's the deal, you guys think FredWreck has some co production on "Satisfiction"

That bouncing sound, sounds similar to the beat on Snoops "Crazy"
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:26:04 PM by PLANT »