Author Topic: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)  (Read 49632 times)

mrkmaidog

Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #510 on: August 22, 2015, 09:53:01 AM »
bought the cd at Best Buy yesterday for 11.99. Diggin this album even more now with the CD quality in the car on & headphones. Several songs are growing on me after repeated listens.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #511 on: August 22, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »
It feels like there are no quotables on here
I just. Bought. Cali. Fornia.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #512 on: August 22, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »
This cd is amazing in the car!

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #513 on: August 22, 2015, 03:21:06 PM »
definetly better, but it does take the heart out of a project once they expose all the writers and ghost rappers and niggas that brought dre a sample...honestly i dont think i wanna know all that and dont quite understand the sensationalism right now. if whitney Houston were alive and cut an album shed have a whole team of motherfuckers working that bitch. its obvious when kanye does albums he takes the same approach get a gang of rappers and producers together and brainstorm. i guess the only place that shit was unheard of was hiphop but still knowings all dres shit was made with this think tank approach seems to tarnish his legacy. but most hip hop albums with a grander sound are made just like this. deathrow had all the studio musicians popping that had dre and daz sounding real cute.

also that fuck double d chest did you call me a euro? bitch im from detroit raised in chicago they dont get much more american then me...miss w me with that shit. i know my music.

it only tarnishes his legacy to retards....thats the stuff greatness is made of. teamwork. dre is like phil jackson.

people who try to do it all on their own dont get these kinda results

im saying as a kid to us we didnt give a fuck who was playing background shit and who brought the sample or who helped with hooks or anything its this new generation and the data age and the dumb ass stories of him stealing beats and rhymes etc....i honestly dont think anyone dres worked with has needed him as bad as they at the time needed him not even eminem or snoop. i mean dre wasnt exactly killing it before slim shady but he woulda found some shit to blow up or reunited with snoop eventually  in my opinion.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #514 on: August 22, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
I thought Jon Connor killed it on here, makes me wanna check out his next project cuz I never vibed well with his pre-Aftermath joints due to poor production/direction

he murked everything he had his hands on.

Sccit

« Reply #515 on: August 22, 2015, 03:23:38 PM »
definetly better, but it does take the heart out of a project once they expose all the writers and ghost rappers and niggas that brought dre a sample...honestly i dont think i wanna know all that and dont quite understand the sensationalism right now. if whitney Houston were alive and cut an album shed have a whole team of motherfuckers working that bitch. its obvious when kanye does albums he takes the same approach get a gang of rappers and producers together and brainstorm. i guess the only place that shit was unheard of was hiphop but still knowings all dres shit was made with this think tank approach seems to tarnish his legacy. but most hip hop albums with a grander sound are made just like this. deathrow had all the studio musicians popping that had dre and daz sounding real cute.

also that fuck double d chest did you call me a euro? bitch im from detroit raised in chicago they dont get much more american then me...miss w me with that shit. i know my music.

it only tarnishes his legacy to retards....thats the stuff greatness is made of. teamwork. dre is like phil jackson.

people who try to do it all on their own dont get these kinda results

im saying as a kid to us we didnt give a fuck who was playing background shit and who brought the sample or who helped with hooks or anything its this new generation and the data age and the dumb ass stories of him stealing beats and rhymes etc....i honestly dont think anyone dres worked with has needed him as bad as they at the time needed him not even eminem or snoop. i mean dre wasnt exactly killing it before slim shady but he woulda found some shit to blow up or reunited with snoop eventually  in my opinion.

dre is a genius, thats all there is to it.....read that source article i just posted, pretty much everythin he predicted came to fruition. u dont get to where he at bein a slouch. he's by far the greatest producer in hip-hop history and no one even comes close.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #516 on: August 22, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »
bought the cd at Best Buy yesterday for 11.99. Diggin this album even more now with the CD quality in the car on & headphones. Several songs are growing on me after repeated listens.

Word picked it up last night too. Fuck it, but I still bought it.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

sofdark

« Reply #517 on: August 22, 2015, 06:50:52 PM »
If this goes platinum, you think Dre might regain his confidence to drop Detox?

Sccit

« Reply #518 on: August 22, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »

This is detox lol

sofdark

« Reply #519 on: August 22, 2015, 07:13:04 PM »

This is detox lol

I'm sure he got tons of bangers with Em, 50 Cent, Kendrick, Bishop, Stat Quo etc.

Die Hard banged hard.

Sccit

« Reply #520 on: August 22, 2015, 07:42:23 PM »

This is detox lol

I'm sure he got tons of bangers with Em, 50 Cent, Kendrick, Bishop, Stat Quo etc.

Die Hard banged hard.
Oh no doubt .. He recorded thousand of tracks for detox. These just the ones he picked.

dameons

« Reply #521 on: August 22, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
85% decline in sales.....that says it all..one of the worst drops ever.

Sccit

« Reply #522 on: August 22, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
85% decline in sales.....that says it all..one of the worst drops ever.

watch it break the record for highest increase from 2nd to 3rd week now that the hard copy dropped yesterday

heyyou

« Reply #523 on: August 23, 2015, 02:02:04 AM »
Looks like the CD dropped today in the UK
http://store.hmv.com/music/cd/compton?_ga=1.8025204.711516639.1440193136

Yep, I bought it yesterday after avoiding it at every cost for the past 2 weeks and listened to it for the first time in one sitting.
A few observations at the moment:

- This doesn't sound like a Dr. Dre album, let alone a west-coast album.  Now that can be interpreted as both good and bad.  Good in the sense that it's a modern and new sound for Dre, showing that he's setting a trend yet again for the overall production and direction of albums, but bad in a sense that, going on my first couple of listens, it's almost as if this could be anyone's album due to the sheer number of guests all over the album, popping up every 30 seconds or so which can sound a bit overwhelming at times;
- Why has Dr. Dre changed his rapping voice and flow so drastically? Why?!  He's been rapping for nearly 30 years now, and was always immediately identifiable on a track owing to his strong, commanding voice, but on here he sounds so different to before that it's almost off-putting.  That's not to say he's gotten worse, it's just that he (and a couple of other guests on the album) are trying to sound too much like Kendrick Lamar and it sounds a bit unnatural for them to do this;
- There doesn't appear to be any standout tracks on here, in the way that 'G Thang' and 'Still D.R.E' were on the previous efforts.  Will listeners be able to recite the lyrics to certain tracks word-for-word in a few years time? Will any of the songs transfer to radio and into popular culture?  It feels like there are no quotables on here, no real standout lyrics;
- Anderson .Paak, Justus, King Mez and Jon Connor are interchangeable to me and I can't tell them apart.  None of them standout and as a result I have little to no interest in hearing any of their previous or forthcoming work;
- Some of the guest spots are underwhelming - You would never know that was Cold 187um on 'Loose Cannon's' unless he was listed in the credits, and Snoop's appearance on 'One Shot One Kill' doesn't sound right to me, he should have come more funky and melodic on a Dre album. I'm glad he got to feature on another track;
- On a more positive note, I love the different sounds on the album - all the background noises, voice samples, trumpets, weird, distorted voice effects etc.  This was to be expected on this album and the production doesn't disappoint.  The intro is brilliant too.  Also, who would have thought that the two Dre solo cuts on here would be the best two tracks on the album (the particularly strong one being a Detox scrap)?

So overall, a slight disappointment for me, but a good listen nonetheless.  Now I know I've been very negative and this is going on only having had the album for one day, but I am confident that the album will grow on me and I'm going  to continue to listen to it intensely for the next few weeks to pick out new things that it has to offer.

Great breakdown which echos my thoughts exactly.
I was kinda disappointed when i first heard the album but it has grown on me a lot.
I have to agree about the new breed guest rappers are intertangable and dont bring anything anything extra.
I thought snoop really shined with his appearance with his energy and delivery.
The rapping style made it difficult to get into a grove diffult to understand some of the lyrics.

Regarding dres flow switching up again, well thats always been the case that he sounds like the person who ghostwrites for him.

Deepwater beat and snoop on one shot one kill is crazy

S.J

« Reply #524 on: August 23, 2015, 03:06:20 AM »
I thought Jon Connor killed it on here, makes me wanna check out his next project cuz I never vibed well with his pre-Aftermath joints due to poor production/direction

I've been listening to Jon Connor for a few years and I thought his album Unconsious State was good and theres some good stuff on some of his mixtapes like Season 2 and The Peoples Rapper. I hope he actually releases an album on Aftermath though.

I think Compton is a good album but I dont like it as much as The Chronic or 2001, some of the tracks have too much going on, and there are 4 or 5 tracks that I dont like as much. I cant see how it will be considered a classic like his previous albums.
But I'm a do it like this so your crew will know
Tie your leg to a car, tie the other to a pole
Talk shit and laugh cause I got the gift of gab
Hop in the car, hit the gas, watch your ass split in half
-Rappin Ron