Author Topic: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)  (Read 51358 times)

Sccit

yes, they were better but only because it was Dre's generation.  So he was creating a movement and speaking on shit that was highly relevent and trendsetting to the whole world and people are still following those trends.

that and the music was better too

and that’s not a diss to compton, but both the chronic and 2001 have an argument for goat hip-hop album.. cant say that for compton, altho compton has an argument for greatest rap album of the 2010s which is still amazing .. but the chronic and 2001 were better both because they set trends AND because they were better musically

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

that and the music was better too

and that’s not a diss to compton, but both the chronic and 2001 have an argument for goat hip-hop album.. cant say that for compton, altho compton has an argument for greatest rap album of the 2010s which is still amazing .. but the chronic and 2001 were better both because they set trends AND because they were better musically

fair enough
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You can't spell Dilate without L.A.
Re: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)
« Reply #857 on: May 02, 2024, 10:26:55 AM »
Ssup yall, its been a minute since I commented on a topic. But this thread here did call me back somehow..
In my opinion 2001 is the greatest rap album of all time sonically, it is literally the reference for many beatmakers and producers all around the world. I am a beatmker and producer myself and everytime I make music, 2001 is the go-to to reference album for loudness, clearness, mixing and vibe all in one. Compton was a bit too harsh in the highs to my ears compared to 2001 and The Chronic. But we are talking about Dr. Dre, he still nailed it with the mix engineering on the album. Thats just a personal opinion, who am I to judge the sonic choices of this legend...

I agree with some of you, who said that Compton couldnt live up the hype against both Chronics. It will though forever be a special album to me, I was in the US coincidentally for the first tiime in my life when Dre announced it suddenly on Beats Radio or something. Will never forget the day it dropped, I was so hyped after all the years we waited for Detox to never come out  ::) But then it didnt sound the way the Intro did start the album. It was a modern attempt from Dre and his whole ICU team to sound current at the time. The arrangement on the album is amazing, it is like a movie and I like many songs on it. Favorites are Its All On Me, All in a Days Work, Just Another Day, Animals and Talking To My Diary. The way he uses instruments as song elements is just genius. For example the digging part or the percussion switch ups. My problem with the album is also Dres voice and flow, he didnt sound like the normal Dre Rapper we used to know.... And there was not one +HIT SONG+ on this album. Its just a fact but that doesnt mean that the album is not good. I am happy that we got the album almost ten years ago and it was a phenomenal time to me. I enjoyed it and still do from time to time 8)

PS: I dont believe Dre will ever drop another album, so just enjoy what we have and peace out to all of you  ;)

The Predator

« Reply #858 on: May 02, 2024, 10:57:45 AM »
Album was really harsh on the ears.

Sccit

« Reply #859 on: May 02, 2024, 11:29:01 AM »
Album was really harsh on the ears.

in what way

Dwax-187

« Reply #860 on: May 02, 2024, 12:05:40 PM »
Ssup yall, its been a minute since I commented on a topic. But this thread here did call me back somehow..
In my opinion 2001 is the greatest rap album of all time sonically, it is literally the reference for many beatmakers and producers all around the world. I am a beatmker and producer myself and everytime I make music, 2001 is the go-to to reference album for loudness, clearness, mixing and vibe all in one. Compton was a bit too harsh in the highs to my ears compared to 2001 and The Chronic. But we are talking about Dr. Dre, he still nailed it with the mix engineering on the album. Thats just a personal opinion, who am I to judge the sonic choices of this legend...

I agree with some of you, who said that Compton couldnt live up the hype against both Chronics. It will though forever be a special album to me, I was in the US coincidentally for the first tiime in my life when Dre announced it suddenly on Beats Radio or something. Will never forget the day it dropped, I was so hyped after all the years we waited for Detox to never come out  ::) But then it didnt sound the way the Intro did start the album. It was a modern attempt from Dre and his whole ICU team to sound current at the time. The arrangement on the album is amazing, it is like a movie and I like many songs on it. Favorites are Its All On Me, All in a Days Work, Just Another Day, Animals and Talking To My Diary. The way he uses instruments as song elements is just genius. For example the digging part or the percussion switch ups. My problem with the album is also Dres voice and flow, he didnt sound like the normal Dre Rapper we used to know.... And there was not one +HIT SONG+ on this album. Its just a fact but that doesnt mean that the album is not good. I am happy that we got the album almost ten years ago and it was a phenomenal time to me. I enjoyed it and still do from time to time 8)

PS: I dont believe Dre will ever drop another album, so just enjoy what we have and peace out to all of you  ;)

Agreed about 2001. I remember hearing Dre replica beats from producers for the next 5+ years.  Dre also carried his sounds with and had a damn near flawlesss 5 year run after 2001 dropped.

Sccit

« Reply #861 on: May 02, 2024, 12:18:04 PM »

facts about 2001 being a go-to reference

2001 was definitely the reference used when mixing and mastering hibernation shivers

what i do notice about todays music is that vocals are mixed a lot louder than they used to be.. 2001 found a perfect balance.

compton vocals were mixed louder and more refined, much less d-esser used … which is cool, some people actually prefer that, especially in modern times. it makes better for vocal clarity when played in stadiums etc.

but 2001 is goated, off top.

Sccit

« Reply #863 on: May 02, 2024, 01:15:50 PM »
https://gearspace.com/board/mastering-forum/1023788-dr-dre-compton-sounds-harsh.html?s=b063a7c5e1bf8eacf5048fa7cf8854a9

so you don’t like the master

it’s definitely much brighter than his earlier work, but the mastering is excellent. it’s simply a choice of sound, which favors clarity and sharpness over low end

in a good system it shouldn’t hurt your ears at all

Jay_J

« Reply #864 on: May 03, 2024, 01:50:58 AM »

so you don’t like the master

it’s definitely much brighter than his earlier work, but the mastering is excellent. it’s simply a choice of sound, which favors clarity and sharpness over low end

in a good system it shouldn’t hurt your ears at all

FOCUS's himself said that mastering was dissapointing. who ever was responsible for mastering fucked it up and they didnt have time to fix it.

so you dont have to justify it bro.

Sccit

« Reply #865 on: May 03, 2024, 07:25:28 AM »
FOCUS's himself said that mastering was dissapointing. who ever was responsible for mastering fucked it up and they didnt have time to fix it.

so you dont have to justify it bro.

what you need to understand about mastering is that a lot of it is subjective

meaning some will prefer a brighter master and some will prefer a darker master

compton was mastered on the bright side and although it’s not my preference it’s still an A1 master in terms of sound quality

could they have sent it back for revisions to fit a different sound they’re aiming for? sure

but that doesn’t make the initial master subpar

sonically, compton was pure excellence .. even tho i most definitely prefer the darker master of 2001

i’m curious to see what focus said .. can you post it here?

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #866 on: May 03, 2024, 10:54:14 AM »
Agreed about 2001. I remember hearing Dre replica beats from producers for the next 5+ years.  Dre also carried his sounds with and had a damn near flawlesss 5 year run after 2001 dropped.

I think the 2001 sound aesthetique ended with Busta Rhymes The Big Bang album. After 2006 Dre was looking for a new sound but was never able to create the real magic like on his last great era. To this day every normal music fan loves the sound Dre created in his prime. You just cant deny the fact that these songs all sound as fresh as they came out in 1999 to this day. Show Still D.R.E. or Next Episode to a 14 year old or a 65 year old human being, above 90 percent of all civilized people will know the songs and also the most important thing: Really like them...

I blame it also on the Trap era which lastest waaaay to long in hip hop history. Think about it.. At latest when Soulja Boy came with that Crank That joint in 07, this type of sound took over mainstream hip hop music worldwide. Of course the alternate hip hop genres survived but had a hard time and lived in the underground in the 2010s in my opinion. Thank God its slowly fading away and we are going back to more modern boom bap orientated music with real raps and less mumbleness and autotune.

The following users thanked this post: Tha Crip

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #867 on: May 03, 2024, 11:03:28 AM »
https://gearspace.com/board/mastering-forum/1023788-dr-dre-compton-sounds-harsh.html?s=b063a7c5e1bf8eacf5048fa7cf8854a9

Super good link to read what gear nerds thought about the album when it dropped. One thing I dont think is true: Some people think that certain sounds only can be created with certain gear. That is a myth nowadays because there are so many good plugins and modern equipment which can create magic too. DJ Premier maybe should have stuck with the MPC60 and the S950 though haha, because he was just a genious on these machines, especially with Eddie Sancho mixing all his stuff. His current beats are dope, but also cant compete like Dre with his primetime of course.

But I will say it again and again: Every great producer especially in hip hop has his ups and downs. And to be able to make still great music in their 50s or 60s is a heavy challenge... After all the classics they made in their career.

Jay_J

« Reply #868 on: May 03, 2024, 01:32:01 PM »

what you need to understand about mastering is that a lot of it is subjective

meaning some will prefer a brighter master and some will prefer a darker master

compton was mastered on the bright side and although it’s not my preference it’s still an A1 master in terms of sound quality

could they have sent it back for revisions to fit a different sound they’re aiming for? sure

but that doesn’t make the initial master subpar

sonically, compton was pure excellence .. even tho i most definitely prefer the darker master of 2001

i’m curious to see what focus said .. can you post it here?

mastering or mixing is not subjective when it comes to quality and musical facts. there is good mix, there is good mastering also there are bad mix and mastering. but its subjective when it comes to a boomy, punchy, low end, etc mastering, or dark or brighter or etc... but if its a bad mastering, its not subjective. if its subjective why u care about mastering in your albums and work with brian? you can master it yourself and if people dont like it u can say its subjective :) no its not subjective. we are not talking about what type of mastering it is, we are talking about it is bad or good.

anyway, focus made a Q&A in instagram before and a few people asked about the disapointing sound of compton compilation and he said its because of the guy who mastered the album. he pointed that production and mixing was great but mastering fucked everything up and he agrees people who thinks it doesnt sound good.

Dwax-187

« Reply #869 on: May 03, 2024, 02:06:30 PM »
I thought Brian 'Big Bass' Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering, LA mastered all 3 Doc Dre albums  ???