Author Topic: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)  (Read 52394 times)

Sccit

Re: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)
« Reply #870 on: May 04, 2024, 10:11:14 PM »
mastering or mixing is not subjective when it comes to quality and musical facts. there is good mix, there is good mastering also there are bad mix and mastering. but its subjective when it comes to a boomy, punchy, low end, etc mastering, or dark or brighter or etc... but if its a bad mastering, its not subjective. if its subjective why u care about mastering in your albums and work with brian? you can master it yourself and if people dont like it u can say its subjective :) no its not subjective. we are not talking about what type of mastering it is, we are talking about it is bad or good.

anyway, focus made a Q&A in instagram before and a few people asked about the disapointing sound of compton compilation and he said its because of the guy who mastered the album. he pointed that production and mixing was great but mastering fucked everything up and he agrees people who thinks it doesnt sound good.

there is bad mastering and good mastering.. correct

but when it comes to goat level pros like brian gardner, all his masters are professionally done, so it’s a matter of preference. and compton was mastered on the brighter side, which some people prefer and some people think is “too harsh”….

todays hip-hop is all mastered with much more focus on louder/crisper vocals .. back when 2001 came out, this wasn’t the case

i personally prefer the less bright master on 2001, but that doesn’t mean compton is a bad master. it’s actually exceptional and sounds really big. when the album first dropped, it was sonically heralded, and that’s because it has a stadium feel to it, which most mastering engineers can only dream of achieving. for many, they would prefer more emphasis on a d-esser, as this type of master brings more clarity, but can also be more piercing if you have sensitive ears. but that doesn’t make it a poorly done master, just a different style than dre’s previous work which some would prefer and some wouldn’t.

The following users thanked this post: Dwax-187

Sccit

« Reply #871 on: May 04, 2024, 10:11:35 PM »
I thought Brian 'Big Bass' Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering, LA mastered all 3 Doc Dre albums  ???

that’s right

k1000

« Reply #872 on: May 05, 2024, 12:08:14 AM »
I thought Brian 'Big Bass' Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering, LA mastered all 3 Doc Dre albums  ???

Richard "Segal" Huredia on "2001" ?

Sccit

« Reply #873 on: May 05, 2024, 02:21:16 AM »
Richard "Segal" Huredia on "2001" ?

mastering was handled by big bass .. same as compton

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Jay_J

« Reply #874 on: May 07, 2024, 12:39:09 AM »
mastering was handled by big bass .. same as compton

i think focus  may not be pointing big bass, there may be a another engineer responsible for pre-mastering.

Sccit

« Reply #875 on: May 07, 2024, 10:10:10 AM »
i think focus  may not be pointing big bass, there may be a another engineer responsible for pre-mastering.

brian does bright masters

i know from experience because he’s sent us some bright shit in the past which we had to send back in order to achieve the thicker sound that we prefer

and that’s not to say his bright masters are bad.. everything he sends back is A1. it’s just not the preferred sound.

so maybe they didn’t want Compton to sound that bright and didn’t have time to send it back … but it’s a real sunny album compared to 2001, so i was under the impression that it was by design.