Author Topic: Straight Outta Compton - The Movie Inconsistencies (SPOILERS)  (Read 1724 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Straight Outta Compton - The Movie Inconsistencies (SPOILERS)
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2015, 06:51:52 PM »

- That last scene, I have to see it. Everyone makes it out to be so great... LOL. I just know it was going to have a different name first. Then when Death Row basically crumbed then Dre changed it to Aftermath. But again, what's the movie going to do, draw it all out to get Aftermath... LOL.

As for the title, the Aftermath, Dre definitely didn't have that when he left Death Row, because as the magazine article in my avatar from the Source indicates, at that time he liked the name Black Market records, but since he couldn't use it, he later had to come up with something else.  Would of been kind of funny if the white boy Eminem would've came out on Black Market Records, btw.

As for the Aftermath name.  That didn't come too long after Dre left Death Row, and it came not when Death Row crumbled but when Death Row was still on top of the world.  Because Dre had already readied singles/videos and other promotions for the Aftermath Presents album just before Pac died.  "East Coast/West Coast Killaz" had came out with the label in the video description just before Pac died.  So my guess would be that the title Aftermath was designated in July of 1996, shortly after that Source cover article was released.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

clydebankblitz

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »
With Hail Mary, couldn't 2pac have been working on it for a few years beforehand?

For me, things like Ice Cube and Eazy making up and Dre at his deathbed seemed like they were trying to say "nah actually we was all cool when he died", when really I doubt that was the case.

Fuck Wit Dre not being on there wasn't too big for me. It's a brilliant song, but it doesn't rank too high in best disss tracks. Real Muthaphukkin Gs not being on there is BULLSHIT though. Imo the second best diss track of all time after Hit Em Up. He completely destroyed Dre with that track so it not being featured was weak to me.

Film was still brilliant all the same. I don't really care about some of the small bits, overall it was still brilliant. I'm a fan of Bloodsport so I can't exactly fault inaccuracies in the movie.

Also, Straight Outta Compton Soundtrack absolutely obliterates Dr Dre's mess Compton.

Sccit

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »

- I'm not sure, but Jerry was not fired by Eazy was he ?

according to bone thugs, he was

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
For me, things like Ice Cube and Eazy making up and Dre at his deathbed seemed like they were trying to say "nah actually we was all cool when he died", when really I doubt that was the case.

Cube and Dre have both said they spoke to Eazy before he died, before the movie ever came out. Unless you are accusing them of lying.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2015, 08:43:10 PM »

Cube and Dre have both said they spoke to Eazy before he died, before the movie ever came out. Unless you are accusing them of lying.

Yella, who was the last loyal one to Eazy, also confirmed that Cube and Eazy talked and Dre was at the hospital. Dre even talked about visiting E at the hospital in his album 2001 back in 1999. I do think though that many fans think that it just makes things too nice. Like sure you guys all made up. Even though reality is sometimes better than fiction.

bouli77

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »

Some parts were uneven. Like 2Pac's part. I think they'd admit that as they wanted to fit him and others in.

The image of Jerry Heller is how I think all of them feel, but just Cube and Dre. Yella does not have kind words for Jerry when it comes to NWA's break up.

I'm not sure what Eazy's life was portrayed as after Dre left, but some have said he was very hurt. He might have been making more money, but he was not happy about the situation.

Yeah he was hurt and dismayed when Dre shook, but it didn't affect his pockets like that and he had a resurgence with It's on, and later with Bone Thugs. It's kinda dishonest to portray him like that and embellishes Dre's situation. Eazy was thriving when he died, he even had a radio show.

Also, the billboard in LA saying "5 million copies sold" is inaccurate, cause in 1993 The Chronic had not sold 5 mil, it was certified triple platinum by the end of 1993 but that's it. but that's a small detail though.

With Hail Mary, couldn't 2pac have been working on it for a few years beforehand?

even if that was the case, 2pac was in jail and not signed to Death Row when Eazy passed, the 2pac scene is anachronic, cliché and grotesque and it lasted 30 seconds. it's just a scene to please the casual viewer by seeing 2pac and Dre in the same room while Dre plays him the beat of California love (kinda like the G Thang scene actually). I understand the need to condensate things a bit and to mix things up for the sake of the storyline but some scenes in the film are corny, cliché and sometimes ridiculous.

I know that History is a lied agreed upon by the victors (and in that case the producers, obviously) but damn that's a bit too much how they're portrayed as the alpha males all the time when things didn't go too well all the time for either of them and the others as  either greedy, ruthless (no pun intended), dishonest punks.

also, what's with the Bryan Turner story ? What's the foundation behind it ? I had never heard of that, did Cube really show up with the Lench Mob and break everything in Turner's office ?

Sccit

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2015, 12:57:20 AM »

Some parts were uneven. Like 2Pac's part. I think they'd admit that as they wanted to fit him and others in.

The image of Jerry Heller is how I think all of them feel, but just Cube and Dre. Yella does not have kind words for Jerry when it comes to NWA's break up.

I'm not sure what Eazy's life was portrayed as after Dre left, but some have said he was very hurt. He might have been making more money, but he was not happy about the situation.

Yeah he was hurt and dismayed when Dre shook, but it didn't affect his pockets like that and he had a resurgence with It's on, and later with Bone Thugs. It's kinda dishonest to portray him like that and embellishes Dre's situation. Eazy was thriving when he died, he even had a radio show.

Also, the billboard in LA saying "5 million copies sold" is inaccurate, cause in 1993 The Chronic had not sold 5 mil, it was certified triple platinum by the end of 1993 but that's it. but that's a small detail though.

even if that was the case, 2pac was in jail and not signed to Death Row when Eazy passed, the 2pac scene is anachronic, cliché and grotesque and it lasted 30 seconds. it's just a scene to please the casual viewer by seeing 2pac and Dre in the same room while Dre plays him the beat of California love (kinda like the G Thang scene actually). I understand the need to condensate things a bit and to mix things up for the sake of the storyline but some scenes in the film are corny, cliché and sometimes ridiculous.

I know that History is a lied agreed upon by the victors (and in that case the producers, obviously) but damn that's a bit too much how they're portrayed as the alpha males all the time when things didn't go too well all the time for either of them and the others as  either greedy, ruthless (no pun intended), dishonest punks.

also, what's with the Bryan Turner story ? What's the foundation behind it ? I had never heard of that, did Cube really show up with the Lench Mob and break everything in Turner's office ?

lol how did u think they were guna be portrayed? especially wit them producing it.

bouli77

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2015, 01:13:40 AM »
I'm not surprised them being portrayed like that, I'm just disappointed cause it affects the general quality of the film and the story line, without even talking about the credibility of the thing. that's what's wrong with biopics when the people are producers, or associated with the movie, or simply still alive. it becomes a vanity project more than anything else. but they could have kept this a vanity movie but a bit more credible and less manichean showing them in less favorable lights sometimes. If you look carefully, Dre & Cube make the right decisions all the time in the movies and only look bad because of other people's actions. it's even more blatant for Cube.

Sccit

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »
I'm not surprised them being portrayed like that, I'm just disappointed cause it affects the general quality of the film and the story line, without even talking about the credibility of the thing. that's what's wrong with biopics when the people are producers, or associated with the movie, or simply still alive. it becomes a vanity project more than anything else. but they could have kept this a vanity movie but a bit more credible and less manichean showing them in less favorable lights sometimes. If you look carefully, Dre & Cube make the right decisions all the time in the movies and only look bad because of other people's actions. it's even more blatant for Cube.

i agree that they went out of their way to make themselves look as good as possible......but at the end of the day, the general story is on-point. i expected a lot more schlock, like the notorious movie. this one at least had great production and good cinematography.