Author Topic: FINALLY! Dr. Dre & DJ Premier collaborate on a beat. Please share your thoughts!  (Read 1722 times)

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
Official credits: http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=318919.0

Even though Dre isn't mentioned as producer, just mixer, you can hear some Dre signature sounds in the beat, imo.. listen to the background effects at 0:24, 1:01, 2:32 and more.. classic Dre signature, you can hear the same all over "Talking To My Diary"..

Word.

Just remember what Khalil said about KUSH. We've heard enough Dre music over the years, Jome, to know whether Dre contributed to the production or not. Thnx for the link, holmes.

jaytee

Produced by DJ Premier, add. prod. by BMB SpaceKid.

No Dre production.

I posted these articles in the album discussion thread.   Anderson .Paak and DJ Premier speak on Dre's involvement in the production of Animals.

“He heard it and was like, 'Yo, I need that.'” Premier and Dre were acquaintances, but they hadn’t spoken in over a decade and had never worked together. The track Premier brought had originally been recorded for a different project, and had his crisp, minimalist signature, which Dre began to populate with details.

“He added some singers in the background and brought in his man Bluetooth, who’s a piano player, bass player, singer, drummer, all kinds of shit,” says Premier. “There were certain chords I didn’t want, and Dre was cool with it if I said, ‘Hey, that’s a little too much on that part.’ He respects honesty. I like that it wasn’t overdone. He didn’t smother it.

“Dre recently asked me about the difference between a producer and a beat maker,” Premier adds. “For me, it’s like film: You can shoot all the footage you want, but it’s all about the edit, the final outcome, when the world gets it. That’s what makes you a producer. That’s what Dre does."

Jayson Green, Pitchfork

Anderson .Paak: I was really excited about it when I got it done. It was around the time of the riots and everything. I had never made any political songs before, but this one just came naturally. I didn’t want to be too preachy—I just wanted to add my perspective. When I recorded it, I had already been working with Dre. Before I left the studio with him, I was like, “Oh shit, let me play you this joint I got with Premo.” He was like, “You got a joint with Premier?” I played it, and it wasn’t even three bars in and he just went nuts! He was like, “I gotta get on this!” The next day, Dre hits me up himself, like, “Yo, I fucking love this song. I know it’s your tune, and no disrespect, but I would love for this to be a part of the soundtrack. Whatever we have to do…” I was like, “Say no more, let’s make history,” so he added his verse on there. He ended up adding really dope instrumentation too. He messed with the drums, added some guitar, and some really cool transitional stuff that wasn’t on there before. I watched Premo do the scratches on it, and it was just a crazy moment. I’m still wrapping my head around it.

Christian Hernandez, Mass Appeal
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:15:16 PM by jaytee »

Sccit

definitely has dre production all over it...shoulda at least got a co-production credit, but we all know how bashful dre is wit his crediting nowadays.

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
Produced by DJ Premier, add. prod. by BMB SpaceKid.

No Dre production.

I posted these articles in the album discussion thread.   Anderson .Paak and DJ Premier speak on Dre's involvement in the production of Animals.

“He heard it and was like, 'Yo, I need that.'” Premier and Dre were acquaintances, but they hadn’t spoken in over a decade and had never worked together. The track Premier brought had originally been recorded for a different project, and had his crisp, minimalist signature, which Dre began to populate with details.

“He added some singers in the background and brought in his man Bluetooth, who’s a piano player, bass player, singer, drummer, all kinds of shit,” says Premier. “There were certain chords I didn’t want, and Dre was cool with it if I said, ‘Hey, that’s a little too much on that part.’ He respects honesty. I like that it wasn’t overdone. He didn’t smother it.

“Dre recently asked me about the difference between a producer and a beat maker,” Premier adds. “For me, it’s like film: You can shoot all the footage you want, but it’s all about the edit, the final outcome, when the world gets it. That’s what makes you a producer. That’s what Dre does."

Jayson Green, Pitchfork

Anderson .Paak: I was really excited about it when I got it done. It was around the time of the riots and everything. I had never made any political songs before, but this one just came naturally. I didn’t want to be too preachy—I just wanted to add my perspective. When I recorded it, I had already been working with Dre. Before I left the studio with him, I was like, “Oh shit, let me play you this joint I got with Premo.” He was like, “You got a joint with Premier?” I played it, and it wasn’t even three bars in and he just went nuts! He was like, “I gotta get on this!” The next day, Dre hits me up himself, like, “Yo, I fucking love this song. I know it’s your tune, and no disrespect, but I would love for this to be a part of the soundtrack. Whatever we have to do…” I was like, “Say no more, let’s make history,” so he added his verse on there. He ended up adding really dope instrumentation too. He messed with the drums, added some guitar, and some really cool transitional stuff that wasn’t on there before. I watched Premo do the scratches on it, and it was just a crazy moment. I’m still wrapping my head around it.

Christian Hernandez, Mass Appeal

Thanks

bigpimpin20

Anderson Paak on Making "Animals" with Dr. Dre & DJ Premier

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uyCssQ58dUM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uyCssQ58dUM</a>

jaytee

Props on video.

Blood$

now the question is "Animals" or "Documentary 2" ?

Sccit

Anderson Paak on Making "Animals" with Dr. Dre & DJ Premier

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uyCssQ58dUM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uyCssQ58dUM</a>

more proof that dre co-produced the premier track (as well as every track on that album) witout gettin credit