Author Topic: Johnny J Interview <HERE>  (Read 196 times)

Mickaveli_#1

Johnny J Interview <HERE>
« on: April 15, 2003, 02:14:45 AM »
CHECK BACK TODAY!!!, there have been slight cuts from some questions I couldnt post[/i][/size]

Mickaveli_#1

Re:Johnny J Interview <HERE>
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 03:14:48 AM »
March 19th
(This is the text version of questions I asked typed up from the audio as they were said. Sorry had to cut some questions altogether and some words. Enjoy!!)

M &#8211; Yeh sounds round so what are you doing right now, still doing the Klockwork thing?
JJ &#8211; Yeah, still working, actually I&#8217;ve been out for about a month, been in Miami

M &#8211; You were doing work in Miami?
JJ &#8211; No, I was just there to relax and take a little break to enjoy life it was great but Im glad to be back.

M &#8211; Ok first question, how do you feel about people, older fans in particular who know your earlier work from 93-97 claiming you&#8217;ve past your best?
JJ &#8211; That&#8217;s ignorance. I mean a lot of people haven&#8217;t heard a lot of the work I&#8217;ve done because a lot of it hasn&#8217;t even come out. I go in the studio early, do my work and stay true, just working hard man so why?? why would people think that was ever a bad thing!

M &#8211; You ever worked with any big artists recently?
JJ &#8211; U know, my ^^&!!% phoned me and told me Mia was wanting a couple of tracks so expect me to work with her soon. Nuttso who was on many tracks I did before, so we got together, Young Tyrese who done the hook to my track on the new 2Pac album. Mostly R&B, a lot of R&B because of the music I&#8217;ve sent out attracted a lot of singing talent rather than rappers. I don&#8217;t care whether its R&B, rap whateva, long as I make music man that&#8217;s what Im here for.

M &#8211; Have you worked with any members of Bone, Thugz N Harmony since Bizzy Bones album &#8220;Heavens Gift&#8221;?
JJ &#8211; Yup I have, They recently had a project &^&% ^&% %67&% %&#8221;!£$hh%& &*(!!ll 7&^$&*!  and we got on like old times so we might be working together again.

M &#8211; After many years, there still seems to be disputes over certain 2Pac issues. One that regularly arises is the 2Pac record label &#8216;Makaveli Records&#8217;. Do you know anything about it or who was meant to be on the label or big information on it the fans won&#8217;t know?
JJ &#8211; I was meant to be on there along with Syke and two young rappers who had just got down with &%$%^ records &#8220;!&#8221;£%**(& an^&  *(*&^$£$&#8221;!!!** d HH&^$%. %!!&#8221;£^ was also a producer but u can&#8217;t say who they two were just outta respect man but the label at the time was talked about for a while. I didn&#8217;t get the call when 2Pac done the whole Makaveli album. He done it in days and at the time, Syke couldn&#8217;t get in touch with Pac. I didn&#8217;t see him a lot in the summer but we had the same kinda dreams, owning our own, being our own people. He wanted to finalise his contract quickly so that he could get on with the Makaveli Label and do shit on that. *^*^&^! already let him know they&#8217;d distribute it and give some of the proceeds from the Makaveli album towards the funding because %^&*& itself were becoming its own label. It was all fucked up shit man with interscope, they wanted to cut loose.

M &#8211; Did 2Pac have a lot of money at deathrow?
JJ &#8211; I think so, u know but he was always throwing it around like it didn&#8217;t matter, I mean, he would buy himself things like everyone of us would if we had the money to do it with, but he would do stuff which I cant tell you, cause I mean, he told me plans he had that it wouldn&#8217;t really be fair to talk about. But he was buying his homeboyz this and that and everything u know. he tried not to tell any of us at work a lot, he didn&#8217;t like to talk about his money spending and I can respect that. But fuck, I know he didn&#8217;t like the fact he had lots of money.. He was smart enough to learn to ignore jealousy from people and envy and all the hate, but man, it did get to him, the shit built up a lot and u can hear it. We all want the finer things and, the bad experiences and times Pac went through man, he deserved those finer things.

M &#8211; You hear about people being beat down, locked up, or abused in someway at deathrow. Could you tell us if that really went on and if you still stay in touch with deathrow records?
JJ &#8211; Ha ha yeah I get that a lot from people, but u know I don&#8217;t really talk much about the label. When I was there I had a really good time at &^*&^^, it was a street label so u did get the dudes coming in on a late Friday night angry and shouting at anyone but if the beat was playing it was all good. I haven&#8217;t worked with anyone on $&**& for years now. The people I knew when I worked there don&#8217;t work there. It&#8217;s all family, so $£%$ !&#8221;£! !!&#8221;£ $£ 1&#8221; &#8220;£$ $ &*w t%£%£ I ^$%^, u &*^.

M &#8211; Why was classic sounding tracks like &#8220;Never B Peace&#8221; completely altered along with others that already sounded good enough for release and possible commercial release?
JJ &#8211; We have reasons to alter them. Afeni would never change or alter his music unless she felt she had to. We had to change &#8220;They&#8217;ll Never Be Peace&#8221; because the rights to the original version was bought years ago and the track itself was unfinished as well as ones like Fame and Street Fame that you&#8217;ll hear. A few cuts that are on the new album were completed years ago so we had some of those remixed tracks, remixed again

M &#8211; Same kind of question &#8211; why did you edit out words that were on a few tracks on &#8220;Until The End Of Time&#8221; such as &#8220;This Ain&#8217;t livin&#8221; along with others
JJ &#8211; I get asked of this a lot but its like when I got the track myself 2Pac would still be in the studio all night and be playing the music over and over and doubling up his vocals over a piece so when I heard that track I was surprised and wondered why he cut parts out.

M &#8211; Do you know what it says on the line of &#8220;This Aint Livin&#8221; when 2Pac raps &#8220;Disappear and reappear as the !??
JJ &#8211; I have no idea, I got to work on that with the line already cut.

M &#8211; Could you give us some titles to 2Pac tracks or confirm tracks like stressed out, ballad of a lost soul, comrades etc.
JJ &#8211; No sorry man, I cant discuss those.

M &#8211; Whats your fondest memory of 2Pac and what do you miss most about him
JJ &#8211; You know&#8230; we kept our relationship professional.. but he was just one of those people you couldn&#8217;t just have one memory of man. The guy could make you smile on your worst day. I can remember when I was having &!!&#8221;!&#8221;££ £$&#8221;&#8221;£ (%&*^ and this must have been early like 6, 7 in the morning and I get into the studio and theres 2Pac, dancing around, smiling and rhyming with a bottle in his hand and this is first thing in the fukin morning dude u know. A couple of his homeboyz looked half asleep and miserable, probably because he dragged them outta bed to come down to fuckin rap or whatever, but I went and got a coffee, took about 10 minutes to set up then all of a sudden he say give me a track, he&#8217;d nod his head to the beat for a few seconds, then he&#8217;d start writing very fast, and in 30 mins a track would be done.
M &#8211; It took 30 minutes to complete a track
JJ &#8211; No, it took 30 minutes to do the track but he&#8217;d want the same track again to re-voice. he&#8217;d still want to keep going and going. Im saying yo.. man, you gotta take a break, before you break down u know, so he would take a few minutes to roll up then he&#8217;d be back rhyming with the blunt in his mouth, you can hear it in a couple of tracks we did. I can still remember the experiences we had when I listen to some of them to this day so. But if there was anything I needed, like to talk to someone late at night, he was just one of those guys man that would stop everything to help you. He&#8217;d go all out for his homeboyz and even people he knew but NEVER, ever asked for a returned favour that&#8217;s one of the things I miss most is the fact he is was one of those rare people that you can really talk to like that. Man I miss him. There isn&#8217;t one day I don&#8217;t think about him
M- Sounds like he made an impact in everyone&#8217;s life
JJ &#8211; He sure did man, he&#8217;s definitely one of a kind.

M &#8211; Not meaning to change the subject but did you have any nicknames or weird habits?
JJ &#8211;  Loads.. Loads. When I first hooked up with Thug Life I was called the music man. I can play a few instruments so that&#8217;s how I first got my name. Later on when I worked with them more I would come in the studio and if I wasn&#8217;t the first and I walked through the door, a couple of people would say &#8216;Hay *&^&&#8221; because *&^& was my real name. 2Pac though, he called me the Cuban Militant if I done good work, if he thought it was bad or sloppy he&#8217;d call me any humiliating name. But it was all love though.

M -  Any bad habits?
JJ &#8211; Yeh I can&#8217;t sit still for a second, Im always tapping my feet, whistling or doing something to make a sound. I try to make music, its what I do. I know it can be annoying but this is what I am.

M &#8211; There&#8217;s been a lot of people wanting to know the current status of 2Pac material left to release.
JJ &#8211; ok
M &#8211; But what people wanted to know is there going to be an original versions box set released full of 2Pac originals and how much material is left to release?
JJ &#8211; I don&#8217;t think they&#8217;ll be releasing an originals box set. When we had recording sessions for the project we started about three years ago -
M &#8211; The until the end of time
JJ &#8211; Yeh, well that was one piece of work from the project. We had all kinds of trouble just trying to clear samples and we would have to rethink and try out similar sounds to send to see if that was ok and it was a nightmare. Constantly back and forth, we&#8217;d have to call up Afeni and let her hear what was happening so it was a tough time so I can&#8217;t see an originals version box set anytime in the future but hay I don&#8217;t decide what they do man.

M &#8211; How much material is left to release
JJ &#8211; I can&#8217;t say but I know you&#8217;ll be hearing him for a while, sorry man, aint got a lot of time left is there any more questions you wan me to answer?

M &#8211; Well everything I wanted to ask has more or less been covered. Is there anything you&#8217;d like to say to the people out there before you go?
JJ &#8211; I&#8217;d just like to say, keep enjoying music, if you wanna succeed in life, stick at it, play it hard. You only fail when you give up. Were never promised tomorrow so why sit and feel unhappy when you can really make things happen and other people happy, don&#8217;t dream, just do it. I&#8217;ll still be making music in 10 years it&#8217;s what I love doing, always have, so I thank the people for the support

That was Johnny J &#8211; sorry not everything could be put up. It's due to respect!! I have to alter the audio version so I can put it up on the site for the lazy folks on here

And MAYBE, just Maybe by the summer time, we might hear some snippets of NEW Johnny J material he&#8217;ll be doing but that will be on my site when it's up.

ps. Anyone know a good audio program to cut out words and censor etc??

Mickaveli_#1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 03:45:26 AM »
O yeh I apologise as it's a day late. I noticed I said 14th. Woops. And since then I have actually had word about certain other stuff like the new 2Pac album, nothing major so far.

Megaveli

• 'G'
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 04:20:33 AM »
""§%$§%§$%"/())&/T(E%§

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 04:27:11 AM »
^ lol

Mickaveli_#1

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 05:32:38 AM »
""§%$§%§$%"/())&/T(E%§

I was told to remove certain parts from it, but I tried to give u the best possible. If I was able to give you the whole text it would be something. Couple of real shockers in there. He didnt think the Makaveli subject needed spoke on to just leave it at peace more or less. If I was to post the whole text I would never get to ask him anything again or get any of the hot audio snippets promised.

JG

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • try not to do tbt though, people here dont like it
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 07:40:13 AM »
Good interview, thank's. Johnny J has some credits to his name. I think he should focus on RnB like he said.

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 11:06:58 PM »
""§%$§%§$%"/())&/T(E%§

haha everytime Mickaveli posts that shit comes up  ???