Author Topic: (2004) - Eminem Mixes Up 2Pac  (Read 933 times)

Sccit

Re: (2004) - Eminem Mixes Up 2Pac
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »
What impresses me most about Eminem, the producer, is this:

Usually producers who rap are average MC's at best. Dre is a solid rapper with a great voice, but not really an MC at all.

Eminem is am undisputed top 10 dead or alive MC who also was for a while a very good producer. None of the other truly top level MC's comes close to that. Kanye is a top level producer who learned to become a pretty great rapper himself, but he is definitely not top 10.

While I do agree that Eminem has a certain sound that he never managed to progress away from, it is hard to deny the quality of productions like:

Lose Yourself
Renegade
Rabbit Run
Revelation and a few other tracks from the first D12 album
Damn well most of The Eminem Show

True but you cant really give Em credit for the quality of the beats...thats dont to the guys who were actually producing and mixing them.
Em was like Puffy when it came to producing...he told the producers what he wanted it to sound like and they did it. Not sure if he was always like
that but that was how he did it in the early days when those beats where made.

Yea... That's what producing is. Pretty sure he still gets credit, as even you said, you can tell an em beat from a mile a way. You can't really play both sides of the fence here.

Yeah i know what you mean but its not like the old days when the orchestrator of the track is known as the producer and the ones who actually
make it are known as the engineers etc. These days you mainly just call the beat maker and the one doing all the work the producer...espeically with how easy it is to do in this day and age.

Yeah you can tell an Em beat stright away, the melodies the way they are constructed and sequenced etc. What i meant by that comment is you cant give Em credit for the
production quality of the beats..because thats down to the guys actually doing it. Finding the right sounds, mixing them in, Eqing, mastering etc..we know Em does none of that or at least
her didnt back then

As for the Neptunes...they did fizzle out. Yeah Pharrel carried on with a similar path but that old Neptues style and them as a group did not last long on top. Pharrel just
took it to another level and progressed the sound over the years. Then there was NERD too

But i see that you have a different opinion about Ems productions to me and thats cool! Everybody see's things a different way and hears things a different way
We both know our shit...just have a different opinion of some things!

EQing and mastering is part of post-production, not production.. That's what mixing is for. All great producers have assistance wit these things, some more than others, no doubt. But nothin should ever go against the man in charge wit the final sound (the producer) soley due to the fact that he has more resources. An Eminem beat is an Eminem beat. Period.. All that ghost producing talk is bs, people try sayin the same thing about Dre, that he doesn't produce his beats, when in actuality, he's the epitome of a producer. People who say that r usually the ones who don't understand, anyone can make a dope lil beat loop, construction and sound, that's what actually matters in terms of producing,

TidyKris

Re: (2004) - Eminem Mixes Up 2Pac
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 05:55:31 AM »
What impresses me most about Eminem, the producer, is this:

Usually producers who rap are average MC's at best. Dre is a solid rapper with a great voice, but not really an MC at all.

Eminem is am undisputed top 10 dead or alive MC who also was for a while a very good producer. None of the other truly top level MC's comes close to that. Kanye is a top level producer who learned to become a pretty great rapper himself, but he is definitely not top 10.

While I do agree that Eminem has a certain sound that he never managed to progress away from, it is hard to deny the quality of productions like:

Lose Yourself
Renegade
Rabbit Run
Revelation and a few other tracks from the first D12 album
Damn well most of The Eminem Show

True but you cant really give Em credit for the quality of the beats...thats dont to the guys who were actually producing and mixing them.
Em was like Puffy when it came to producing...he told the producers what he wanted it to sound like and they did it. Not sure if he was always like
that but that was how he did it in the early days when those beats where made.

Yea... That's what producing is. Pretty sure he still gets credit, as even you said, you can tell an em beat from a mile a way. You can't really play both sides of the fence here.

Yeah i know what you mean but its not like the old days when the orchestrator of the track is known as the producer and the ones who actually
make it are known as the engineers etc. These days you mainly just call the beat maker and the one doing all the work the producer...espeically with how easy it is to do in this day and age.

Yeah you can tell an Em beat stright away, the melodies the way they are constructed and sequenced etc. What i meant by that comment is you cant give Em credit for the
production quality of the beats..because thats down to the guys actually doing it. Finding the right sounds, mixing them in, Eqing, mastering etc..we know Em does none of that or at least
her didnt back then

As for the Neptunes...they did fizzle out. Yeah Pharrel carried on with a similar path but that old Neptues style and them as a group did not last long on top. Pharrel just
took it to another level and progressed the sound over the years. Then there was NERD too

But i see that you have a different opinion about Ems productions to me and thats cool! Everybody see's things a different way and hears things a different way
We both know our shit...just have a different opinion of some things!

EQing and mastering is part of post-production, not production.. That's what mixing is for. All great producers have assistance wit these things, some more than others, no doubt. But nothin should ever go against the man in charge wit the final sound (the producer) soley due to the fact that he has more resources. An Eminem beat is an Eminem beat. Period.. All that ghost producing talk is bs, people try sayin the same thing about Dre, that he doesn't produce his beats, when in actuality, he's the epitome of a producer. People who say that r usually the ones who don't understand, anyone can make a dope lil beat loop, construction and sound, that's what actually matters in terms of producing,

Its totally different now though and has been for quite a whilst. Back in the days when it was all analogue studios it did take 3 or 4 people to make a track.
Now its easy to do it alone...you mix master and eq whilst you are going along creating the beat then at the end you do a post master and maybe a post mixdown again
if needed too.
Ive been a professional producer and engineer for 12 years now and that was even the case when i first started out.

Maybe at a push somebody may use an outside mastering engineer to master the sound but even mastering is easy to do yourself with the ease of access
we have to the tools needed.

These days the ghost producer thing is a big deal because its so easy to make a record if you put the time into learning the craft...its not like the old days
in the 80's & 90's when gear was expensive and the only way you could make a beat was by hiring a studio and it takes a room full of people to finish a track.
Ive built a full studio at home for just 3 grand...and that is spare change compared to what it used to be with analogue

The thing with the great producers is they come from the old days when they worked in a team to create music so if they still do that now
its prob because they feel more comfortable working with somebody else or they dont actually have the skils to do it all themselves.

Like with Dre...he is great at making music. But he most likely does not have the skills to do it all himslef and feels he works better when he has
the input of other people working alongside him

Em is more of a song writer..yeah id say producer too but thats in the old skool term of producing. He is not a producer by todays standards.
But he should not get full credit for how well the beats are produced (that wasnt him)
unless they are talking about how well the melodies and musical elements are written...if you knw what i mean
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:03:20 AM by TidyKris »