Author Topic: "Blunt Time" contains a lot of subliminal disses of Suge and the Dogg Pound  (Read 1117 times)

GangstaBoogy

Re: "Blunt Time" contains a lot of subliminal disses of Suge and the Dogg Pound
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 12:09:18 PM »
Even at the time of reading that interview I felt that was the beginning of the end of good music. 2pac died and puffy capitalised and ruined music. Dre had no idea how much this decision would affect the future of music

I can vividly remember reading this magazine when it came out summer of 96', and I felt the complete opposite.  I felt really hopeful at the time of all the possibilities.  And even Dre was expecting that Death Row would still be strong.  I figured with Daz producing, with Pac, with Snoop, that Death Row would still be all right.  That Dre would go on to be a huge success with all his new ideas and hip-hop would just keep getting better and better as it had up to that point...

Of course I was wrong for being so naive.  A couple months later Pac died, aside from "East/West Killa" Dre's album was lackluster, a month or so after that Snoop dropped a brick, and then finally Suge ended up behind a prison wall and this all happened before the end of 96!  

Then shit really got fucked up in 97' with Bad Boy and No Limit filling the void...  Which basically destroyed what remained of the happiness I'd always experienced growing up... but I digress...

Yeah 96 was a terrible year for the West Coast Hip-Hop scene.

The scary part it, had Dre just stuck around for a few more months, he would've had a Death Row records with no Pac or Suge and could've resumed business with Snoop, Tha Dogg Pound, Nate Dogg, and Rage.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »

The scary part it, had Dre just stuck around for a few more months, he would've had a Death Row records with no Pac or Suge and could've resumed business with Snoop, Tha Dogg Pound, Nate Dogg, and Rage.

What an interesting point, I'd never considered that aspect. I wonder what direction Dre would have taken DR in with him being solo at the helm? At the bare minimum Snoop wouldn't have dropped a brick and we might have seen some of those shelved projects. On the other hand Dre might have spent the next 10 years polishing one beat and leaving his artists on the shelf as well..

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 05:43:22 PM »

What an interesting point, I'd never considered that aspect. I wonder what direction Dre would have taken DR in with him being solo at the helm? At the bare minimum Snoop wouldn't have dropped a brick and we might have seen some of those shelved projects. On the other hand Dre might have spent the next 10 years polishing one beat and leaving his artists on the shelf as well..

haha....

funny...all these years I've been stewing over this and that is one perspective I never considered.  I always looked at it as 'Dre was the smart one who got out just before the collapse'.   But yeah... in a way it's like God took care of his problems for him, all he had to do was just sit back and wait it out a bit (something he is quite good at, sitting back and waiting). 

Only downside is he still would've been making Suge a ton of money.  Suge would've been profiting off acts like Eminem from prison earning his 50% cut off the label.  It would've turned into a sort of extortion type of scenario, where Suge would've probably not been providing any value to the company other than bullying, so Dre would've had to keep giving him his 50% cut.  Cause Dre was totally tired of doing business in that kind of way.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
I like that interview. Seeing Dre say fuck DOC, responding to 2Pac, flat out saying ain't no one going to do shit to him, so much more refreshing than the politically correct Dre he's been since the 00's

"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Blood$

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 07:40:24 AM »
would it kill dudes to make those magazine scans smaller? I must be the only not blind member here who wouldn't have a problem with that