Author Topic: Hip Hop and Vampires (Chino XL, Eminem....) - dope article  (Read 263 times)

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic

wrote thiis for enghlish wat do u think.......
--------------

Hip Hop is one of the most diverse and complicated genres of music that there ever has existed. It has always taken many forms, from Gangster Rap to Social Conscious in order for people to fully reach their message that they try to send to the community, whether it be positive or negative. Hip Hop was originally founded by Africa Bambaatta in the early 1960’s in Harlem, New York and was originally created as a revolutionary way to oppose the government’s policies on “Segregation.” One of these cities that faced segregation tremendously was that of Harlem, New York. Harlem was home to many hard working African – Americans who lived in poverty due to certain circumstances like average salary and experience / credentials needed for a job. Hip Hop was revolutionized by a group called Run DMC, LL Cool J and Naughty by Nature in order to persuade the government from segregating the “Black community” because of their past ancestors who could not pay the property tax. Soon Hip Hop expanded worldwide, not only as a revolutionary tool, but also as a form of attention and as a possible career job, which could make you a multi-millionaire. Hip Hop expanded enormously and a sub-genre of Rap, which was more explicit and hardcore, was created. As Rap and Hip Hop expanded among poorer communities of North America specifically, more and more people began to create their own opinion on everything from movies to Gothic literature and vampires. So the genre of Rap and Hip Hop expanded everywhere from American “Ghettos” to Suburban Counties.  Some of these “rappers”, which are the group Atmosphere, Chino XL, and multi platinum sensation Eminem expanded on the “theory” of Vampires but twisted the idea and pertained it to love, media opinions and jealously.  

When looking for one word on the character of hip hop, look for just one word.... diverse. As Hip Hop’s popularity has expanded tremendously, new styles of hip hop have emerged and one of the styles that Hip Hop has produced is a relaxed, lax type of attitude so no matter what your mood. The music can just flow easily without any arguments. One of the groups that can create this “relaxing” type of flow is that of Atmosphere.  Atmosphere consists of a rapper named Slug and a producer named Ant who combine to create a smooth type of flow that any Hip Hop fan would like. Although Atmosphere doesn’t usually voice opinions on the issues in the world, on “Vampire,” Slug preaches the evil that has doomed the fate of the world by addressing not only the community, but as well as the world:
“Override the circuitry, the sun is your god
Recognize the urgency, uncover your eyes
When I turn on the lights, she vanishes, hides
But I can feel here essence in the air
Acknowledge the night stalker and regard her as a hunter
Death is coming...from Taliban or from thunder”

These words that Slug has preached have helped many people unite among the community. Slug has told many people to focus on fusing rather then fighting, and as he refers to the “evil” as the vampire, because it drains the “life” out of the community and causes internal conflicts. This is just one connection that Hip Hop has depicted, and in this case, a rapper tries to change the ways of a struggling community, but in this case...its a happy ending.

Opinions are something that all Hip Hop activists and rappers have when reading the biased newspaper or reading the daily journal, but they interpret this seemingly “biased nonsense” into something that they can advocate so that people may learn from them. One of these people that can address these issues is a Latino rapper by the name of Chino XL. Chino XL is a famous rapper from the west coast of the United States who has gone through many conflicts in one way or another, and on “Ghetto Vampire” he preaches the jealousy that he faced and how he became the Devils’ disciple:

“But jealousy forced me into sacrilegious behaviour
Enraged like I was no threat I hated God's laughter
Waiting for the day the apprentice becomes the master
I'm cursed and damned now to be a creature of the night
Unliving yet living off blood, fearer of the light
“Running from the sun by day it's become quite obvious
to the people surrounding me I'm the wildest”

Chino XL is a remarkable character that demonstrates that a “misguided” person is more of a “criminal” then a “lost child” and he preaches this to the people who address him as a “bad influence.” Chino XL addresses the media and persuades people that a ill-advised child can turn out to be more of a “attention-seeker” who can cause harm, then a “clueless adolescent.”  This ultimately portrays that jealousy and laziness to help one another can cause greater harm, and by this, Chino XL hopes to achieve the golden rule: “Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

Not all rappers produce positive messages, one of these rappers is mega platinum rapper / actor Eminem. Eminem, who was born in Kansas, grew up a tough life in Detroit, barley surviving by living in a trailer park with his mom and daughter. When he became a mega star, he spewed lyrics about this mother who had treated him terribly by not only being mentally abusive but also physically by hitting him and kicking him out of their home several times for him to live on the street. In 1999, Eminem’s mega hit “My Name Is” addressed the feud between his mom as “hostile” and their relationship never seemed to get better. Eminem was criticized and was named as a “bad influence” solely because of his lyrics directed to his mother. In 2001, Eminem created a masterpiece called “The Way I Am” which addressed the media and his fans. Later in 2001, he appeared on multi platinum star’s Jay Z’s album and off a track named “renegade” addressed the media as a Vampire trying to suck the living blood and life out of him:

“I'm a motherf*ckin spiteful, delightful eyeful
The new Ice Cube – motherf*ckers hate to like you
What did I do? (huh?) I'm just a kid from the gutter
makin this butter off these bloodsuckers,”

- Eminen on Jay Z’s “Renegade”
This rapidly changed many critics on how they viewed Hip Hop’s “badboy” and forever changed him and his fans. Eminem used the analogy of a “vampire” to help his position with the media and also to tell the truth about being heavily criticized. Now Eminem has become a positive role model by not only signing autographs, but also helped at local Children Care Hospitals. This essentially proves that Gothic Literature, Vampires and Hip Hop do have a connection.

Hip Hop and Vampires have always been intertwined whether it be in revolutionary ways or in just simple analogies, they always have been connected in different ways. Both Atmosphere, Chino XL and Eminem have all been involved with using Vampires and compare it to their life, the media or help raise a positive message. Vampires have been used in Hip Hop for years, and there are many years to come these don’t intertwine.

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
Go support him and go buy it!

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Hip Hop and Vampires (Chino XL, Eminem....) - dope article
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 03:11:12 PM »
 :( commments  :-[ :'(

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 03:38:46 PM »
Dam dogg....that was good....I could never write that much...lol...*props*

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 03:40:52 PM »
thanks  :D..... im 15, i had to write it on Vampires (were doing Dracula) so I compareeed hip hop with it.....for a creative piece

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 03:45:08 PM »
yeah man you made a great comparison of the 2 and dam you wrote a lot...how long did it take you? It sounds real professional.

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 04:43:13 PM »
it took me 2 hours....its 2 and 1/3 pages single spaced./...

thanks once again ;D

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 05:38:18 PM »
Uhh that says Chino XL is from the West but in truth he is from New Jersey and never repped the west. What an idiot the author is.

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 06:58:11 PM »
Uhh that says Chino XL is from the West but in truth he is from New Jersey and never repped the west. What an idiot the author is.

my mistake, but do u think an english teacher knows who Chino XL is! ::)

Gangsta_T

• T-Records CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • alldayeveryday another dope album!who can compete?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 12:26:03 AM »
dats really a nice piece of work...
i wondered why you compared hiphop wit vampires...
now i know hehe

chino xl aint reppin the west, thats rite though...

let us know what your teacher thinks about this work

T
REMEMBER: big dicks in yo ass is bad fo yo health!
Ice muthaphukkkin Cube

RIP :
Eazy-E, Fo Clips, Cougnut, Big L, Mausberg, Roger Troutman, Tupac, Notorious BIG, Big Pun, Mr Cee & Hitman of RBL Posse, Speedy Loc, JMJ, Tone Capone

FUCK Nelly & St Lunatics
FUCK the Neptunes & Timbaland
FUCK Puff Daddy
FUCK Murder Inc
FUCK Eminem & 50 Cent
FUCK all RnB Snitches & Bitches

"im rare as finding warm pussy in an igloo"

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 02:12:43 AM »
some people believe hiphop's roots are Reggae... because of early Reggae Sound System DJ's  being the first to use 2 turn tables and a mixer

Gangsta_T

• T-Records CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • alldayeveryday another dope album!who can compete?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 03:11:53 AM »
some people believe hiphop's roots are Reggae... because of early Reggae Sound System DJ's  being the first to use 2 turn tables and a mixer

uuh yea i heard that too...
might be the truth
REMEMBER: big dicks in yo ass is bad fo yo health!
Ice muthaphukkkin Cube

RIP :
Eazy-E, Fo Clips, Cougnut, Big L, Mausberg, Roger Troutman, Tupac, Notorious BIG, Big Pun, Mr Cee & Hitman of RBL Posse, Speedy Loc, JMJ, Tone Capone

FUCK Nelly & St Lunatics
FUCK the Neptunes & Timbaland
FUCK Puff Daddy
FUCK Murder Inc
FUCK Eminem & 50 Cent
FUCK all RnB Snitches & Bitches

"im rare as finding warm pussy in an igloo"

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2003, 06:56:53 AM »

Yep...thats what most music historians believe !

pZ

DX from A.T.L.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2003, 05:21:18 PM »
I hear what you are saying about what teacher would know about Chino, but you would be surprised how Hip-Hop has transend all walks of life.

But Hip-Hop became a culture via The Universal Zulu Nation in November of 1973 in the South Bronx not Harlem.

Also Reggae and chattin' served as a blueprint for the call and response "rappin" for Hip-Hop, but Hip-Hop is a culmination of many Black music cultures from Jazz to Blues. And actually Grand Master's Flash and the Furious Five's "The Message" (talking about urban poverty) and "White Lines" (talking about free-basing cocaine), and Bambaataa's Planet Rock (dealth with world issues) were the first records to revolutionize Hip-Hop, 10 years prior to Run DMC and almost 20 prior to LL and Naughty.

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2003, 07:09:52 PM »
I hear what you are saying about what teacher would know about Chino, but you would be surprised how Hip-Hop has transend all walks of life.

But Hip-Hop became a culture via The Universal Zulu Nation in November of 1973 in the South Bronx not Harlem.

Also Reggae and chattin' served as a blueprint for the call and response "rappin" for Hip-Hop, but Hip-Hop is a culmination of many Black music cultures from Jazz to Blues. And actually Grand Master's Flash and the Furious Five's "The Message" (talking about urban poverty) and "White Lines" (talking about free-basing cocaine), and Bambaataa's Planet Rock (dealth with world issues) were the first records to revolutionize Hip-Hop, 10 years prior to Run DMC and almost 20 prior to LL and Naughty.

thanks....nice looking out, the LL cool j and naughty were before my time but thanks for the info...thx to all for support