Author Topic: DJ Quik Shares Opinion On Will Smith, Chris Rock Oscars Slap + Talks Mixing Snoo  (Read 256 times)

abusive

Description -
DJ Quik Shares Opinion On Will Smith, Chris Rock Oscars Slap + Talks Mixing Snoop & Billy Ray Collab

The legend DJ Quik is back in the 935 KDAY building and the West Coast icon chops it up with the Morning Show co-hosts Cece and Romeo about the big 2022 return of Krush Groove and how he's still hungry and looking to work for something new.

As Krush Groove makes its return, following the 2020 pandemic, Quik talks about the importance of his role in helping build the Krush brand as he is a staple artist featured on our stage lineup. For the first time ever, Krush Groove takes it to the Crypto Arena, mostly associated with the late Kobe Bryant, the "Tonite" rapper is ready to take on the city on April 30th.

Speaking on his longevity in the business and his own impact on the culture, Quik admits that he forgets that he is an actual legend and that his status as a legendary rapper, artist, and producer in the game sometimes trumps the way he sees himself because he keeps humble surroundings and has let go a lot of things and people that worked against him.

DJ Quik goes on to speak on working with Snoop Dogg and Billy Ray Cyrus, shares his opinion on the infamous Oscars slap between Will Smith and Chris Rock, and much more.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

The following users thanked this post: Matty, dnjp4life

dnjp4life

I don't know what Quik is going on about when he's talking his album timelines - Midnight Life came out in 2015 and the Rosecrans EP/album is as much his as it is Problem's.

But anyway, its good to hear that he's been very active in the studio recently.  That KK solo sounds interesting, if its an album full of tracks like So Compton I'll take that all day  8)

Safe+Sound

Doesn't seem like we'll be getting a full body of work from Quik any time soon.

Matty

A Hard Working Man is cracking 8)

maybe we'll get some new Quik via one of the artists (new or old) he's working with.

Safe+Sound

Probably in the form of an overpriced NFT  :grumpy:

Matty

Probably in the form of an overpriced NFT  :grumpy:

yeah this NFT thing seems like a bunch of nonsense. just let me buy lossless/high resolution files or a CD.

Safe+Sound

yeah this NFT thing seems like a bunch of nonsense. just let me buy lossless/high resolution files or a CD.

Exactly. I'm not even sure what the quality is in that format but I'm sure it isn't anything hi-res. For the kind of prices these NFT songs are going for (like Snoop's situation), they should be gifting you the fucking recording reels, the entire master catalog, and a personalized note. But instead, they price gouge for nothing. Consumers are really getting screwed here.

I think in the long run, selling music this way will backfire. For one, if they're so limited in quantity, exorbitant pricing will dissuade and discourage the majority of fans. Millions of people aren't paying two grand for a fucking album or hundreds of dollars for a song. Shit, at least with Nipsey you actually got a CD - but even there, the album was available for all digitally at regular price. 

Matty

the thing is Quik is such an audiophile, has plenty of fans willing to purchase his shit and plenty of them care about sound quality too. you'd think he'd be jumping on the high-res wagon, not this NFT thing. deluxe physical versions would sell plenty of copies. hell put out the back catalogue too.

these days i'm inclined to buy singles to support anything that seems worthwhile. Copped 'World Girl' when it dropped & 'A Hard Working Man' lossless high-res for £2 no brainer.

Safe+Sound

For anyone who knows and is concerned about audio quality - and certainly someone who claims to be an audiophile - this new restricted medium of NFTs wouldn't even be up for consideration... At least until it could accommodate hi-res. Everyone's just riding the wave because it's trendy and a few people are spending obscene amounts of money on pictures of cartoon apes. These rappers don't know the first thing about how any of this tech works or what's behind it. They just want the money - even if it means the majority of their fans can't have access to their music. What Quik and others from his generation fail to understand (or maybe just don't care about) is that the majority of their fan base isn't in this space but like he said in the interview, "That's where the money is."

The following users thanked this post: Matty

SniggidySnipes

It's not even where the money is. Long term anyway... There's no streaming revenue from selling a NFT. Its an upfront payment as long as the NFT fad holds then nothing via publishing. 'Rights' are even sketchy. You buy 'ownership' of the song via NFT but you can't go license it out for a new commercial and pocket the cash or anything. You don't actually own jack shit. Can I take a 'NFT' song i 'own' and use it in a new movie since I own it without paying royalties? How does it work for sampling too? Its such a grey area, there's no system in place for old head jazz artists in the 60's to sue for their samples being used. Quik should just do BOTH. Nothing says he can't drop an album through regular channels / independent and then sell them as NFT's too. Snoop did on BODR did he not? There is utility in dropping an album via NFT if the package came with VIP backstage passes to a concert or exclusive behind the scenes videos or press pictures and shit. Sell a song via NFT and throw in the multitrack or acapella or do a meet and greet package etc. There are def ways to incorporate NFT's to enhance the fan experience but NFT ONLY is dumb as hell. How are you supposed to break as an artist when you're limiting your reach off the jump? So dumb

The following users thanked this post: Matty