Author Topic: DJ CLARK KENT SAYS “THE CHRONIC” ISN’T CLASSIC BECAUSE OF RBX  (Read 635 times)

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
Re: DJ CLARK KENT SAYS “THE CHRONIC” ISN’T CLASSIC BECAUSE OF RBX
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2023, 03:17:02 PM »
I don’t get triggered by these opinions anymore.

Yeah, weirdly I'm the same way.  20 years ago I would have been ready to go to war over something like this, but these days I just yawn at it.  Probably because the east coast hasn't had much influence in the game for about 15 years now.  It's a dude with a butter knife making fun of a dude with a cheese knife.  He doesn't realize how pathetic it is.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

The following users thanked this post: geezy

midwestryder

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2023, 06:30:54 PM »
Agreed.  I almost said, "they are fine with giving Nas 5 mics because it was an East Coast album" but instead I pointed out the fact it wasn't a major commercial release at the time.  I mean, I was only 12 years old at that rhyme (time), but was already a hip-hop head and I didn't even know the Illmatic album existed until after "If I Ruled The World" blew up in 96' and I was like "Damn, they really ride this Nas guy's dick for some reason."  I was a fan of the song so I checked out It Was Written and was like.. "Nah this dude ain't all that."  It wasn't till 1999 I ever gave Illmatic a chance.

But anyway, yeah, no doubt, if Chronic was an East Coast album it would've had 5 mics for sure and no complaints
wrong even if it was the East Coast album does not mean it would get Five mics because Mobb Deep Infamous never got five mics.. no you were not a hip hop head at the age of 12 if you did not know Illmatic by Nas .because it was promoted everywhere from yo MTV Raps to Rap City. It was written as a classic and one of NASA's best work and if you didn't think that was dope you're not a real hip hop head.. if you didn't think Nas was all that after it was written you're not a real hip hop head and you don't know lyricism or skill.. real hip hop heads are not biased towards any Coast and are all about learning and should know Nas by then and before 99
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 03:17:00 PM by midwestryder »

soopa-man

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2023, 09:08:09 PM »
Straight hate and super subjective how can you put Reasonable Doubt as a classic? It had no impact what so ever didnt catapult any change or even spawn any thing but Jay-Z to jump on the Puffy/Bad Boy sound instead of the Raekwon/Nas mafioso that NY was on.  Dope album but so? So was OBCL by Raekwon and had hit singles and started a whole style change coast to coast.  Reasonable Doubt did none of that.

Ready to Die was Ice Cube and the Chronics straight up.  Hands down he didn’t find his style and flor until One More Chance Remix.  That album was super heavily WS influenced but NY sucks their own dick.  All the major podcast are lit there same as the 90s with the magazines. The writers are their friends look Dream Hampton, she wrote reviews for both Vibe and Source see what she wrote about WS artist reviews and interviews and see what she did for Jay.  She even had a hand in Decoted his book. Same with Biggie.  They’re all friends and had no interest in WS music back then or now.

Jay-Z admitted he didn’t want Rap Music to go back West in that book.  It’s hate and unneeded and hip hop shit or not Illmatic didn’t rock in the West or the South bro, dope album but it wasn’t huge when it dropped check the sales bro, It was Writtten was way bigger.

Sccit

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2023, 11:01:36 PM »
wrong even if it was the East Coast album does not mean it would get Five Nights because Mobb Deep Infamous never got five mics.. no you were not a hip hop head at the age of 12 if you did not know Illmatic by Nas .because it was promoted everywhere from yo MTV Raps to Rap City. It was written as a classic and one of NASA's best work and if you didn't think that was dope you're not a real hip hop head.. if you didn't think Nas was all that after it was written you're not a real hip hop head and you don't know lyricism or skill.. real hip hop heads are not biased towards any Coast and are all about learning and should know Nas by then and before 99

you’re confused if u don’t think the east was biased against the west in the 90s

The following users thanked this post: Okka

midwestryder

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2023, 03:19:43 PM »

you’re confused if u don’t think the east was biased against the west in the 90s
no I agree the East was bias versus the midwest, west coast and South back then but being a East Coast album doesn't mean it would get rated good.. Mobb Deep infamous, biggie ready to die and Wu-Tang Clan enter the 36 Chambers didn't get 5 mics and they are East Coast albums

BIGWORM

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2023, 06:48:34 AM »
Somebody has to tell this Banana that RBX was also on Doggystyle.

As far as The Chronic VS Doggystyle they're both on the same level to me. They're two different style albums so I can't choose personally. I gave them both the same amount of play.

The Chronic to me was a better album while crusin in the ride HIGH!

Doggystyle was a better album staying at home chillin HIGH!

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2023, 10:53:07 AM »
wrong even if it was the East Coast album does not mean it would get Five mics because Mobb Deep Infamous never got five mics.. no you were not a hip hop head at the age of 12 if you did not know Illmatic by Nas .because it was promoted everywhere from yo MTV Raps to Rap City. It was written as a classic and one of NASA's best work and if you didn't think that was dope you're not a real hip hop head.. if you didn't think Nas was all that after it was written you're not a real hip hop head and you don't know lyricism or skill.. real hip hop heads are not biased towards any Coast and are all about learning and should know Nas by then and before 99

Wasn't claiming to have had the most refined taste in hip-hop at the age of 12 in 1993 when Chronic and Doggystyle got me into hip-hop.  I was mostly just leaning on anything Death Row related and then whatever caught my ear on radio/video.  My taste in music didn't really start to refine itself until the age of 17 in the year 1999.   
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

dnjp4life

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2023, 04:13:39 AM »
That's Clark Kent's opinion which he's entitled to but its a bit of a strange one to be honest.  RBX's appearances are an important part of the album, he's on there almost as much as Snoop Dogg is, so yeah, I can't get with that take at all.

Okka

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2023, 04:18:47 AM »
That's Clark Kent's opinion which he's entitled to but its a bit of a strange one to be honest.  RBX's appearances are an important part of the album, he's on there almost as much as Snoop Dogg is, so yeah, I can't get with that take at all.

Nah. RBX is only spittin' on four songs.

Sccit

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2023, 08:36:20 AM »

but he also wrote a lot

Corleone Diamonds

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2023, 10:31:25 PM »

but he also wrote a lot

RBX, Snoop & The DOC penned majority of those albums

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2023, 02:34:42 AM »

I thought Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre were a rap group cause Snoop was really the star for 3 straight tracks Deep Cover, G Thang, Dre Day...

Then when you see the album it's like Snoop's name is just listed there with the others like RBX and technically appearing on around the same number of tracks.  But to compare RBX's impact to Snoop's for the album is incomparable.  We are all hardcore West Coast fans but to the average fan non-rap fan who also listened to and heard the Chronic, people like my brother.  They all know Snoop was there but don't know RBX.  RBX tracks sort of filled out the album the way Randy Brown or Bill Wennington filled out the Chicago Bulls championship roster.  Randy had great defense and energy off the bench and Wennington had a size and nice little mid-range jumper.  But I doubt my brother (just a regular Joe and not an NBA fan) remembers that either of those two guys were on the team.  He knows Rodman (Snoop) and Pippen (Dogg Pound) were on there though.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2023, 05:18:44 AM »
I thought Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre were a rap group cause Snoop was really the star for 3 straight tracks Deep Cover, G Thang, Dre Day...

Then when you see the album it's like Snoop's name is just listed there with the others like RBX and technically appearing on around the same number of tracks.  But to compare RBX's impact to Snoop's for the album is incomparable.  We are all hardcore West Coast fans but to the average fan non-rap fan who also listened to and heard the Chronic, people like my brother.  They all know Snoop was there but don't know RBX.  RBX tracks sort of filled out the album the way Randy Brown or Bill Wennington filled out the Chicago Bulls championship roster.  Randy had great defense and energy off the bench and Wennington had a size and nice little mid-range jumper.  But I doubt my brother (just a regular Joe and not an NBA fan) remembers that either of those two guys were on the team.  He knows Rodman (Snoop) and Pippen (Dogg Pound) were on there though.

Bill Wennington wow...I'll never forget that double nickel game at the Garden in '95 when everyone thought Jordan was going to shoot and then passed it to Bill for the game winner

Sccit

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2023, 09:38:55 AM »

snoop was more a force from a commercial standpoint, being the face out in the public and having that star power but as far as actual work put in behind the scenes, rbx writing was just as vital .. and calling him bill wennington is very disrespectful.. i mean he wrote “let me ride” for fux sake, probably the second most popular song on the album and the one that won a grammy

c’mon now

jman91331

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2023, 09:49:58 AM »
LGB might be my fav Song on the album...they must be trippin
It was Dr. Dr's fav song on the album as well.