Author Topic: Post your top 5 pre-NWA ol school joints  (Read 252 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Post your top 5 pre-NWA ol school joints
« on: August 11, 2023, 02:33:55 AM »
Wanna broaden the discussion here, because we got all these die hard hiphop fans here but never much ol school mention beyond NWA when it comes to Ol School.  So if anybody is into the ol school shit post your favorite pre-NWA joints

For me Whodini is probably my fav pre-NWA

1.  “The Message”
2.  Whodini “One Love”
3.  Slick Rick “Bedtime Stories”
4.  Whodini “5 Minutes”
5.  “It’s Yours”

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

doggfather

Re: Post your top 5 pre-NWA ol school joints
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 03:27:28 AM »
pre nwa means pre gangsta rap?

if yes, my votes for Ice T rhyme pays and power albums!

and Too Short early works.

and the Tribe!  Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 11:58:56 AM »
pre nwa means pre gangsta rap?

if yes, my votes for Ice T rhyme pays and power albums!

and Too Short early works.

and the Tribe!  Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E.

I remember my friend in elementary school had an Ice-T cassette tape and we really liked it... but I remember it was more just like hearing cussing on a record cause we were at that age where we were first learning about pussies and all the bad words and what they meant and juvenile shit like that... but honestly I don't really think it was great great music.

Obviously, Ice Tea is a legend and pioneer of his time and nobody can fucc with 6 in the Mornin but overall I wasn't a big fan.

Too Short was pretty dope but I always been sleepin a bit when it comes to most Bay Area music

doggfather

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 01:26:45 PM »
westcoast hip hop was my fav from day one!

BUT

i listened, and heard first ice-t, cypress hill, house of pain, luniz, coolio. in this order!

so nutin from the nwa family tree!

than i heard NY boombap, and g funk, and nwa just after these!

interesting i know...

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 10:15:18 PM »
westcoast hip hop was my fav from day one!

BUT

i listened, and heard first ice-t, cypress hill, house of pain, luniz, coolio. in this order!

so nutin from the nwa family tree!

than i heard NY boombap, and g funk, and nwa just after these!

interesting i know...

“Insane in the Membrane” and “Jump Around” were huge pop hits but it was like any hit song on the radio—I mean those records played alongside Brian Adams “Everything I Do (Do it for You)” in those days so to me it was just another pop hit. 

When House of Pain and Cypress Hill were on radio I wasn’t like “ohh damn Cypress Hill is doin this thing called hiphop that is gonna make me waste the next 30 years of my life on some website called dubcc making angry posts about obscure weed anthems like “Blunt Time” because they didn’t get the recognition they deserved 30 years ago even though the album was platinum and I’ll be stalkin the o.g ghost writer on a thing called Facebook just to find out 4 bars of the original lyrics”

But when you first heard Snoop bark “Bow Wow Wow Yippee Yo” on Dre Day summer 93’ that’s when I was like “yo this thing called hiphop is the truth.  I’m gonna devote my life to it to piss off my parents so my dad hates me and I can fine out 30 yrs from now on DNA test he ain’t my dad anyway”

doggfather

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 10:17:39 PM »
 ;D ;D

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 07:40:57 AM »
Top is She's Crafty by Beastie Boys.  Others:
Fat Boys - Making Noise
Run DMC - Run's House
LL Cool J - The Breakthrough
Too Short - Players
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

BIGWORM

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 06:02:08 PM »

This was the song that I first heard a rapper. My older sister had this on cassette. Then I took her rakim tape. When I started to buy my own stuff it was 2-Live Crew. I became a Cypress Hill/Soul Assassin fan more than the N.W.A. Tree.

In my household it was a mash up of all genres everything. I remember listening to the Breakin' OST and bustin moves on cardboard. My pops used to play Italian music and Johhny cash. My mom was more pop Micheal Jackson, Prince, Hall and Oats. My uncle's Boston. Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac. My Jamaican Aunt from Brooklyn by way of Kingston introduced us to reggae. Then my crazy white boy cousin's rockers from Scarbrough had us listening to Metal.

My Favourite Genre of music is Reggae/Dancehall, because I'm from Toronto!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 09:22:20 AM »
This was the song that I first heard a rapper. My older sister had this on cassette. Then I took her rakim tape. When I started to buy my own stuff it was 2-Live Crew. I became a Cypress Hill/Soul Assassin fan more than the N.W.A. Tree.

In my household it was a mash up of all genres everything. I remember listening to the Breakin' OST and bustin moves on cardboard. My pops used to play Italian music and Johhny cash. My mom was more pop Micheal Jackson, Prince, Hall and Oats. My uncle's Boston. Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac. My Jamaican Aunt from Brooklyn by way of Kingston introduced us to reggae. Then my crazy white boy cousin's rockers from Scarbrough had us listening to Metal.

My Favourite Genre of music is Reggae/Dancehall, because I'm from Toronto!

that Breakin shit was great... It's too bad I missed that era but I have a lot of respect for that era...My parents never really listened to music so I had zero influences in my family or in my neighborhood.  It was all purely what was coming on TV or radio that made it to me and nobody pushed me in one direction or the other.  A lot of people's parents might have listened to Johnny Cash, Fleetwood Mac, and all the shit you talk about but nobody I knew.  I was about as ignorant as you could be when it came to music.  I thought New Kids On the Block was the Greatest Music in the world.

I remember listening to New Kids on the Block and Donnie Whalberg was basically like rap for white kids, lol... In fact I looked more into it later, and it's amazing how this musical genius Maurice Starr just simply took all the shit he was doing for New Edition and was just like, "hey let me try this same shtick with white kids, they don't even need to be that talented, just get me some white kids and I'll write and produce all the music and choreograph all the dance moves and it will sell 10X what New Edition is selling."  And that's exactly what happened.

Once Dr. Dre broke through into that white market then it was over for groups like New Kids on the Block.  But that's the shit white kids used to listen to before that.  I know, because I was one of them.