Author Topic: My thoughts on some rap shit (long)  (Read 86 times)

budsmokeronly

My thoughts on some rap shit (long)
« on: May 25, 2003, 02:22:22 PM »
I am a DR fan, I pretty much buy all of their releases, and I will buy crooked I's album when it drops.

Crooked I was way better when he was rapping on the c-style compilations, he still is dope, but has dropped a couple of notches.

I don't think crook will sell for shit.  I have said this plenty times before and I will say it again:  Suge knight is a smart man.  He knows what is going to do well and what won't.  He knows crooked I has hella talent, but he also knows that gangsta rap is dead in terms of sales, radio and video play, and attention from anyone outside of California, unless you are affiliated some how with a rapper that is popular with the mainstream rap album purchasers such as Dre, Snoop, Ja Rule, Eminem, 50 Cent, Nelly, Jay Z, Neptunes, etc.  But Snoop alone can barely even do it anymore, doggystyle allstars didn't sell for shit, and ptctbtb didn't start doing well until beautiful came out as the second single, and many snoop fans hated the song and thought it was too pop or mainstreem, but it gained the attention of many non westcoast rap listeners.  There are hardly any consumers out there that are big gangsta rap fans anymore.  All these artists wanna make money and as much of it as they can.  The good old music that hooked us as fans, I think will rarely ever be heard again.    I think that is why the twinz  haven't dropped another album.  Their first album as far as quality goes has to be at least a 8.5/10, but it didn't sell for shit.  Why the fuck should they spend their time on a second one, to again see jackshit from it?  You know as well as I know that even if they dropped a new album on dpg recordz it probably would only sell half as much as their debut.  Crooked I has had plenty of time to record material.  He probably has enough material recorded to drop 4 albums.  I bet there is some hot fucking material in there too.  It don't matter how fucking hot it is though, cause it ain't gonna sell for shit, cause its not about quality nowadays.  The same case can be seen with Soopafly's album.  It could have been released back in 98 or 99, but suge didn't release it, why not?  Well Daz RR&GB was very good quality wise, but saw poor sales.  Suge knew soopafly's would sell even less.  Now that disfunktional family sold shitty, Crooked I will be delayed again.  I would bet a million bucks that it is not released this summer.  I think suge has been delaying crooked I's album because it would be best to drop it when westcoast gangsta rap is popular.  Imagine if this happened in this order:  Detox dropped, cubes new one dropped, 213 dropped, warren dropped, nate dropped, nwa reunion dropped, crooked I dropped.  Now I know that is never gonna happen, but can you see how it would impact crooked I's sales?  Especially if all those artists did guest spots on each other's albums and let up and comming rappers guest spot.  The only way the westcoast is ever going to get back on top is if they work together and stop this stupid ass beefing.  They all are independent of each other it seems like, which is fucking themselves over.  They wanna make this money, but if they worked together they would make a lot more money.

Buhda

• Lil Geezy
Re:My thoughts on some rap shit (long)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 07:57:59 PM »
About the albums you said need to drop and how all these people need to work together. What it seem's you are saying is that for the West and Deathrow to get back on top is for the input of Aftermath and DPGC, Seem's even Deathrow fan's know that deathrow ain't shit with out Dre, Snoop, Daz, Nate and the gang.