Author Topic: I'm Chicana  (Read 202 times)

OutSider

I'm Chicana
« on: July 11, 2003, 05:48:59 PM »
Grrr.. sometimes my family makes me so MAD!

ok.. see i was telling my grandmother about what happen at my work and why i felt that need to just get the hell out of there....

Well i was telling my grandmother what the cook was alway telling me how is a full breed mexican.. then called me a pocho... which was really silly to me... but anyways... my grandmother started telling me that just because she was born here... she never denied what she "was" in my eyes american... but what ever.. i tried to tell her i wasnt denying my race... but i just use he term Chicana instead... because i wasnt born in mexico... i only been there once in my life... my parents are american born... so.. i am american... plain and simple.. i live by the americans rules even if that means breaking the tradicition of the mexican culture... i am chicana.. becuase there are alot of people who wouldnt concider me american becuase of my dark skin and my last name....

i dont know i am just so upset that.. it is stuggle to find a self-idenity... then be told by other different... why cant i jsut be american... without the mexicans getting butt hurt.. why cant i be chicana.. without the someone telling me.. i am too american to be called that.. why cant i just call myself native american.. the very thing i was brought up to be.. the very culture that i have accepted myself to be.. without the mexican half of me (mom's side)... getting offensive over it.... damn.. sometimes i just really cant take this whole whole world... do to the racism and the ridicule we bring to one other.... >:(

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re:I'm Chicana
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 06:08:36 PM »
I will respond without bring up our family.

It's like this, in the United States, they want you to have an idenity, as we cannot be bi-racial. A mixed black/white person is considered a light skinned black person. It's simple, we are all brought up to choice a side, and usually other people choice it for us. When we look at someone, we decide their race, and how they should be because of what we were raised to believe about that person. If they are different than what we believe, we then tell that person they don't know themselves, especially if they don't agree with you. A Mexican will say a Mexican-American, or Chicano, is a pocho because to them we sold out out Mexican culture. A Chicano is more radical, it's a revolutationary term used to discribe Mexican-Americans that know that the U.S. will not except them, and the Mexicans will see them as sell outs. When we choice our idenity as Chicano, Mexicans get offended, because that is trashing the culture they know, and see us as part of. Like anything else, we look at surfaces, and judge base on not knowing what that person has gone through. You are just caught in the idenity crisis of others, as your choice of who you are does not agree with what they want you to be, not for who you are, but for what's more understanding to them. They do not understand Chicano, they do not understand Native, and it's confusing. But in the end, Chicana is not a seperation from Mexican, just a growth of it. To seperate is to become white, Chicanos don't denie once coming from Mexico, we take Mexican, and make it our own. We are 75% Mexican anyways, so that means we are 75% Chicanos, and that's 75% of us growing off our Mexican roots, to make it our own, and to live in the U.S. And no one can tell us different.

Hater Player

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 07:46:27 PM »
u guys r a discrace to all da real mexicans fuckin putos

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 08:09:23 PM »

LMAO

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 10:49:31 PM »

This coming from a so-called Mexican/Chicano that doesn't even know the Hail Mary, why Cinco de Mayo is celebrated, couldn't tell you what Mexican Independance day is, and has no clue about Day of the Dead, never ate pandulce, refuses to buy Tamales from Christmas... and calls himself a JEW???

Why is this... oh... because his really Sccit. Shut the fuck up homie. The Mexican culture is too Catholic for a Jew to be saying what's Mexican.

Hater Player

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 11:34:25 PM »

This coming from a so-called Mexican/Chicano that doesn't even know the Hail Mary, why Cinco de Mayo is celebrated, couldn't tell you what Mexican Independance day is, and has no clue about Day of the Dead, never ate pandulce, refuses to buy Tamales from Christmas... and calls himself a JEW???

Why is this... oh... because his really Sccit. Shut the fuck up homie. The Mexican culture is too Catholic for a Jew to be saying what's Mexican.

mexican colture is 2 catholic? naah dogg u got shit fucked up im convirted 2 jewish im still mexican born n raised n mexico n got mexican blood u putos r just fake bitches who get fucked n da culos n wtf is sccit i don have dat shit bitch

OutSider

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2003, 10:09:30 AM »

mexican colture is 2 catholic? naah dogg u got shit fucked up im convirted 2 jewish im still mexican born n raised n mexico n got mexican blood u putos r just fake bitches who get fucked n da culos n wtf is sccit i don have dat shit bitch

you got to excuse m-dogg.. i dont think he is fully aware of the what a chicano really is... it is a state of mind.. has nothing to do with being catholic or eating tamales... although the majority of the mexican/chicano people are loyal to the church because of that role it plays in the culture its self. But being jewish doesnt make you less then a mexican then me. it is just a little wierd to see a mexican jew but then again i met a latino that was jewish.

my thing is that makes me upset, is that i never been to mexico because i have no ties down there. the mojority of my family is from california so who would i  go visit in mexico... no one.... then my dad's mother was native american and raised me into that culture which is very similar to the mexican culture being that california was once mexico. my grandmother just kinda tolerated the term mexican for herself, but she would tell me the stories about different stories about her uncle paul and so forth.

anyways, this is my mom's mom i am talking about. she was bought up in the barrio and sometimes i forget that she is very different from myself. her era doesnt accept that word chicano since it was to be concider a bad thing back then. so i have to try to see her point of view.

anyways..... nothing wrong with being jewish and i dont even know how that ties into being mexican. In mexico i know there is probably alot of jewish that settle over there.. like the spanish, germans, arbics, irish and so forth and so forth....