Author Topic: Mexico Fans: Put Yo Hands In The Air!  (Read 230 times)

Big BpG

Mexico Fans: Put Yo Hands In The Air!
« on: June 13, 2002, 06:21:37 AM »
I know we just made the 2nd Round, but I'm sooo happy, not just for the team, but for my father too... who grew up in Alcapulco Mexico... so  I'm half Mexican (mom is from the states) and ever since I was a little youngster, i had been watching world cups cheering on Mexico...this year my dad thought the mexican team was going to suck...but after two wins he got pumped, unfortunetly he couldn't see the Italy game today, but thats ok... and i know im not the only one excited about the advancement!!

MEXICO CITY (AP) -- Thousands of soccer fans waving Mexican flags jumped for joy, sprayed one another with foam and ran victory laps around Mexico's main plazas Thursday after the national team qualified for the second round of the World Cup. ADVERTISEMENT

``We're going to be champions!'' screamed Uriel Sanchez, an 18-year-old sales clerk jumping up and down at Mexico City's Angel of Independence monument.

Joyous crowds with flags ran around the monument, a traditional soccer celebration point, after Mexico tied Italy 1-1 in Japan to finish atop Group G and advance to the second round.

Vendors hawked horns, hats, flags and noisemakers, and painted stencils on people's faces -- and elsewhere. One woman pulled down her shirt to get her breasts stenciled in green, white and red, the colors of the Mexican flag.

Security was extraordinary. Police blocked streets approaching the Angel to traffic, and the entire area was lined with police cars and officers on horseback and foot. Police and news helicopters circled overhead. Police searched the bags of revelers.

In the northern city of Monterrey, pickup trucks packed with fans circled the main plaza, where hundreds danced after watching the game on a giant screen.

``What a great emotion to see us qualify!'' said Luis Gerardo Zuniga, wearing a huge straw sombrero and a flag tied around his neck like a cape. ``We're going to continue to the big final.''

In the western city of Guadalajara, a steady rain didn't stop the celebration. Thousands of people ran around the Minerva monument with giant flags. Many were school children. Districts across Mexico allowed students to arrive late for class Thursday.

``I had a test today, but I didn't study because of the game,'' said Ricardo Garcia. ``But my teacher is a fan, too, so he'll understand.''

President Vicente Fox, dressed in a team sweatsuit, watched the game with cabinet members, waving his fists when Mexico scored. After the game, he appeared on television to congratulate the team, saying they ``demonstrated the capacity that we have.''

``This motivates all Mexicans,'' he said.

The crowds celebrating over breakfast tamales were generally more restrained than the drunken revelers who hurled beer bottles, rocked cars and roughed up passersby after Mexico's 2-1 victory over Ecuador about 4 a.m. Sunday.

Mexico City residents began to gather around the Angel before dawn. People hurried along darkened streets to reach a television in time for the 6:30 a.m. local time kickoff.

Clusters of people huddled around breakfast taco stands, staring at small televisions through the steam of frying onions and chorizo sausage. Voices bellowed from restaurants and bars, opened unusually early: ``Arriba Mexico!''

Crowds erupted in cheers when striker Jared Borgetti made a stunning header in the first half. When Italy scored its goal, crowds massed around restaurant television sets were deadly silent.

But when the whistle blew signaling the end of the game, chants of ``Mexico! Mexico!'' filled the streets.

Many people had to work, but did their best to follow the game. Luciano Mendoza, 30, wore a Mexico team jersey on his route collecting garbage. Asked whether he was a fan, he flexed his muscles in a body-builder pose to show off the jersey.

``You can tell, huh?'' he said, grinning.

-Big BpG

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

Dope Money Clean

Re: Mexico Fans: Put Yo Hands In The Air!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 08:40:04 AM »

Viva  Me-xi-co   !!!    

Bring on the  USA     .........  Fuck em !!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Mr.Pac-Man

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 10:14:19 AM »
MeXiCo.......We are repen now for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

BossPlaya

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Much Luv2 lil Villian N NINO Tha Mack OCSA 4 LIFE
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 10:51:32 AM »
*walks into thread n puts his hands up high in tha sky*

i tought mexico should have won but who cares at least we've made it this far im so fuckin happy n excited  :) :) :) :D :D :D n didnt i say borgetti was gonna score a goal ygea baby

"i putz it down homie for tha BIG S.A 714 till i hit my grave O.C muthafucka till i reach tha top n even then foo i  just wont stop with my gangsta flows or my  gangsta mentality straight takin out all u muthafuckin WANNABES who pussied out cuz in tha city of Santa Ana we aint no nagels puro crazy pimps crazy gangb

Big BpG

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 11:03:39 AM »
ESPN just replayed the game again, so my dad got to see it... he was working when it was live, so he's like "dont tell me, dont tell me... im like ok"   ... and he's so happy now...he is living high and large... he called all his family down in Mexico... everyone down there is excited, they are partying tonight and you know that... Viva Mexico! La Tierra Del Sol!!!!!!!

-Big BpG

Bring em on... who will we get... Portugal, South Korea or USA

-Big BpG

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05