Author Topic: the westcoasts deal  (Read 184 times)

smerlus

the westcoasts deal
« on: September 13, 2003, 03:27:44 PM »
ok here it is plain and simple.....the west coast style is mostly about gang banging....this was popular in the early 90's because it was something new to the main population of the states....now fast forward 10 years....and bring in some stats.....it's something like 80% of rap is bought by white people....most white people can't relate to the gang life...but they can relate to going to clubs, loving hoes, and trying to live a luxurious life.

so with that statistic....you look at most popular acts today......like if jay z sells 2,000,000 copies only 400,000 people belonging to another race, bought his cd....now i'm not saying white people don't know rap...but out of that 1,600,000 you know that there's some wannabe thugs in there, there's 15 year old white girls that heard the song on the radio and think it has a catchy beat......other than that, most don't give a fuck about the person that comes out with the song....

now on the west, we tend do be fans of the actual rappers. alot of them aren't selling the millions of units, therefore you can't factor in the radio percentage.  some of us just want to hear good music, some of us get emotionally involved and want to see their favorite rapper do good. personally i just like the music. if i hear a good song i'll listen to it, i know my taste and it's not on some pop radio shit. so if the maker of that song isn't on the radio.....i could give two shits. if that person starts making radio hit, then i'm out..i don't want to listen to radio garbage.

this sparks the whole video and  radio debate...rappers themselves want to get rich, this is common sense, but some also want to stick to thier fan base. so to complain about the west not being on top, you have to step back and look at what you want. the west is always going to be about the same shit and it's more than likely never going to be mainstream...do you listen to it because you like the music, or do you continue to listen cause you like the characters?

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
Re:the westcoasts deal
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 10:16:38 AM »
I am white. I live in Spain. And I LOVE westcoast rap. There is no race or population when it comes to loving music.

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 11:11:29 AM »
I'm Dutch and love westcoast. But in America you seem to be committing a great crime as a serious hiphoplover when you don't support the place you come from. In Europe the coastal rivalism (if you can call it that) is much more abstract.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

mauzip

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 11:50:35 AM »
I'm Dutch and love westcoast. But in America you seem to be committing a great crime as a serious hiphoplover when you don't support the place you come from. In Europe the coastal rivalism (if you can call it that) is much more abstract.

smerlus

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 01:07:54 PM »

yeah i live on the eastcoast in the states....i hear smooth sailing about twice a day...if you want to call body guards or the p.i.m.p. remix west coast, you hear those about 5-6 times a day and before that i think the only recent westcoast song they played was thug mansion...

Que (signing off)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Im out for the summer. See you all in the winter!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 01:50:59 PM »
I am white. I live in Spain. And I LOVE westcoast rap. There is no race or population when it comes to loving music.

what part

http://www.audiohosting.org
incredible audio hosting deal and offers for mp3/wma/mpeg/etc. hosting for unsigned artists and record companies.

Bigkhrisdogg

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 02:56:21 PM »
Now you want the real about why West Coast acts are not respected. Because they don’t demand respect in their own markets. Now you might say well all the top labels are on the East Coast. There’s about as many major labels in L.A., but what is it about West Coast acts that labels don’t like.

Let’s take Capitol Records they had Ras Kass, Bad Azz, Slum Village, Roscoe, Dilated, Zane and Chingy.  Out of all those acts only the East Coast acts did well why? Cause they had others co-signing them. Slum Village had the Okayplayers, Zane had 112 and Chingy had Luda. Roscoe’s LP was just thrown to the wolves he had no set up. Sad thing his LP is good, but without a guy like Snoop co-signing him it would be hard. If west coast acts feel they aint treated right by the East Coast they with why not sign with West Coast labels. Wonder why any East Coast or Southern act with a hit gets a label deal? It’s because their team (them, manager, attorney, crew, etc.) know in this game you got to be more than an artist to survive you’re got to be a business. Another thing that always puzzled me. How come when an East Coast act retires he can get a job at a label quick as shit, but a guy like DJ Quik aint an A & R at Capitol, Hollywood Records, A & M or any other West Coast label?

Now about radio. I always here West Coast fans claim they acts never get any airplay. Wanna know a fact of radio. Records get played by Hot 97, Power 99 in Philly and stations in D.C. and ATL if you grease some palms. Nowadays u got to pay to get ya records or freestyles on certain mix tapes. Like I said the music biz is that a business and $$$$ respects $$$$$. The same rules apply to MTV and BET. If you spend $$$$ you get rotation. Look at all that New No Limit shit. That got no airplay on the radio, but constant BET airplay. Master P cut a check.
Funkmaster Flex would say Yukmouth was tha hottest rapper in the world if J Prince dropped some cash on him. Now if you that shit goes on the East and South don’t you think if a few West Coast acts bribed a few West Coast PD’s they shit would get rotation?  Hey to all of you West Coast acts yall need to hire guys who’s ONLY job is to service ya records to radio and if he has to grease palms so b it.

Now about Dre and Snoop not helping out the West. Why aint niggas getting at Too Short or E-40 about not helping the West. Who’s the last cats they put on?

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2003, 07:27:56 PM »
^VERY well put homie...

Except tha last 2 lines, Who did E-40 & Too Short put on? lol, many bay area cats...but they ain't really major themselves so how big can they make an artist? They ain't got 1/4 of da power Dre or Snoop has...How can U put an artist on and make him bigger than U are? lol...possible but unlikely...When waz tha last time E-40 or Too Short even got airplay in CALI on regular basis? lol...feel me? Good post regardless mayne...

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Code Blue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2003, 07:34:43 PM »
I basically agree with everything Smerlus said. I'm blacc and was born and raised in Southern Cali. Livin' in Dago right now. Personally, I don't really give a shit about who's workin' with who, or which nigga is signed to what label. As long as I'm feelin' the song then I'ma bump it. Of course it'd be coo' to see my favorite West Coast rappers blow up and earn what they deserve, but the reality is that it's never gonna happen. The West has dropped so far out of the mainstream that it's almost impossible to get bacc into it. Not even our own damn radio stations support us. So I say that instead of bitchin' 24/7, let's just kicc bacc and enjoy the smashin' music our West Coast artists are puttin' out.  8)

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2003, 07:40:53 PM »
I'm mixxed--half stupid and half retarded

I like rap music ;D