Author Topic: L.A. or West Coast accent  (Read 183 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
L.A. or West Coast accent
« on: November 02, 2003, 11:11:55 PM »
Do any of y'all think that L.A., California, or the west coast have any type of accent or dialect, mainly speakin of african americans? I am from L.A., and I think we have a bit of an accent, but it's not really that strong, and most people can talk outside of their accent, unlike many regions. But in Florida where I am now, everybody tends to say "damn I can tell u from L.A., u got a L.A. accent" but I don't even notice it most of the time. I notice that Ice Cube, Bad Azz, Mack 10, WC, have pretty strong L.A. accents, but thas more less a gangsta accent 2 me. People say I sound like Gary Payton, Warren G, or tha foos from B2k, but that doesn't sound shit like an accent to me. But to those who aren't from L.A., how do you think people in L.A. sound different from anybody else? Because most of the time I can't even point it out.

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:L.A. or West Coast accent
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 06:36:29 PM »
Thats a good point, cuz I used to hear that alot when I lived up in Seattle.  I cant really call it, but I'm guessing its more or less the way we put words together.  It's a slang thing more often then not.  I just think we put more hype behind whatever it is we're saying without going as far at to yell like them Easty cats.  LOL.. To be honest, I really cant call it but I know what you're saying..

Sure is good to be in L.A.  8)

Ax
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 11:30:58 AM »
Thats a good point, cuz I used to hear that alot when I lived up in Seattle.  I cant really call it, but I'm guessing its more or less the way we put words together.  It's a slang thing more often then not.  I just think we put more hype behind whatever it is we're saying without going as far at to yell like them Easty cats.  LOL.. To be honest, I really cant call it but I know what you're saying..

Sure is good to be in L.A.  8)

Ax

LOL thas true, because a lot of times I say slang that they have either heard from the west coast, or either slang they've never heard, so they'll be like "that must be some L.A. slang." And I think it is in our voice a bit too. If I had been from the East coast, I'd prolly talk with a lower voice than I do now. I notice that on the east, most people talk in their lowest possible voice, which is usually lower than their real voice. In L.A., we keep our same voice, but we jus have a certain tone of voice that stands out.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 08:05:07 PM »
People notice that with me too in college. They got this strange accent here. So when I talk, they are like, you ain't from here, you sound like someone from California. Or if they don't know the accent, they just think I have a Spanish speaking accent because I'm Chicano, but I don't speak Spanish. Kinda funny, but it's all good.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 09:42:14 PM »
L.A accent/slang does NOT = Tha whole West Coast

North Cali/Bay Area is a whole different world mane...THE slang center of tha west...most of these slang words and phrases U hear nowadayz is all rooted in tha bay...

L.A does have it's own lil lingo of tha way they say shit tho...

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

hector

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 11:33:48 PM »
Do you folx in LA hate the word Hella?  

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 12:37:57 AM »
L.A accent/slang does NOT = Tha whole West Coast

North Cali/Bay Area is a whole different world mane...THE slang center of tha west...most of these slang words and phrases U hear nowadayz is all rooted in tha bay...

L.A does have it's own lil lingo of tha way they say shit tho...

Thas real true. It's weird, because some people in L.A. have a bay area accent, even tho they never lived in the bay. I think Tash has a lil bit of a bay accent, he reminds me of how Numskull sounded on "I got five on it."

L.A. and the bay have different "accents", but it's about as different as New Jersey is from New York's accent, and Miami to Tampa. Meanin that it is hard to tell them apart until u get to kno people from both places, then u are like damm they are really different, but before that u would think they sounded similar.